IGNORED

High Res Files and Maximum Length of Digital AES/EBU Cable

Urs

Question

Here's my observation:

I connected a Mutec MC3+ smart clock device via its AES/EBU digital output with my DAC (emmLabs) using a Mogami Gold Series digital AES/EBU cable (110 Ohm). The length of the cable was 10m (ca. 33 feet). While this worked for 16/44 files, it did not work for higher resolution files (24/88) and higher. "not work" means either silence or a lot of noise and crackling.

I guess that's due to the fact that the cable was just too long. But on the other hand in professional studio environments they also use rather long digita XLR cables.

So I am a bit puzzled...

5 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Urs said:

Here's my observation:

I connected a Mutec MC3+ smart clock device via its AES/EBU digital output with my DAC (emmLabs) using a Mogami Gold Series digital AES/EBU cable (110 Ohm). The length of the cable was 10m (ca. 33 feet). While this worked for 16/44 files, it did not work for higher resolution files (24/88) and higher. "not work" means either silence or a lot of noise and crackling.

I guess that's due to the fact that the cable was just too long. But on the other hand in professional studio environments they also use rather long digita XLR cables.

So I am a bit puzzled...

I believe the maximum length is 1,180 feet.

Something else must be going on. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe the maximum length is 1,180 feet.

Something else must be going on. 

And this maximum length of more than 1000 feet would be valid for 16/44 as well as for 24/192?

Here’s what my source says. 

AES/EBU cables are designed to maintain a characteristic 110-ohm impedance and sample rate should not be an issue provided the cable is built according to this specification. I’m guessing there might be a hardware issue with one of his or her components if it is not passing anything over 44.1, that or the cable in use is somehow compromised but I think that is unlikely.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

@The Computer AudiophileThank you for asking and passing the info back to me. Really appreciated.

Even if unlikely, it must be a quality issue with the Mogami cable, because:

• the Mutec AES/EBU output via Wireworld digital cables (3.5m) into my Genelec 8351B speakers works perfectly for any resolution up to 24/192
  • the AES/EBU input of my emmLabs DAC works also perfectly for any resolution, if I use a 10m long glass fiber cable (Weiss Chiron Glass1) between the Mutec and the DAC.