IGNORED

Apple Music Hi-Fi Tier

Listening on iOS right now through my old Oppo HA-2 portable DAC. So far, so good although there are a few bugs. Biggest one is that when a lossless or hires song is being played, a button is supposed to show up which you can click to determine the bit depth/sampling rate. Sometimes that button doesn’t show up so I’m chalking that up to a UI bug.

There are a fair amount of lossless ALAC available now, less so with hires and most of that was 24/96. Took awhile to find something in 24/192 but “Coltrane Plays the Blues” is in 24/192 if anyone needs an album to try.

Ever since this was turned on for me late last night, I've been trying to do some listening, first with my iPhone and portable DAC and now I'm in my office/home theater space listening to some of the Dolby Atmos content. Most people will be getting their Atmos content through earbuds but I wanted to hear this through my Apple TV (2021 model) and my 7.1.2 system (Marantz 7703 pre pro) and so far, it seems nice. Not any discernible different than the presentation from the Tidal app which introduced this last year. But with Apple in the mix, there will be a lot more content.

Lossless works here too but not HiRes Lossless, which was already announced by Apple. My 7703 says the audio is coming in at 48 khz which means that the CoreAudio drivers in tvOS aren't changing the bit rate to match the content like iOS does with external DACs (this has been a feature on iOS for some time). So ALAC is being upsampled (probably) to 24/48 which is what it has done for years since the CoreAudio drivers in tvOS were biased toward 24/48 video content. Not sure if this changes in tvOS 15 but I guess we'll find out this week with WWDC underway.

One more thing concerning Dolby Atmos and iOS....it's on by default so if you don't want that, change the setting in Settings->Music. This seems to be the same for tvOS as well.  Lossless is NOT turned on by default for either iOS or tvOS even if you do see the "Lossless" tag on your music. Changing to Lossless or HiRes Lossless is in the same place in iOS Settings for Music. For tvOS, choose Settings->Apps->Music.

Atmos is in automatic so it will only kick in if you have compatible earbuds, which are basically all airpods variants and most beats, I'm using some HyperX Cloud II's in Atmos and the experience is absolutely incredible, both in my rMBP and my iPhone 12 Mini, haven't tested my boyfriend's Airpods Pro tho, I would think it would be even better

The way that I listen to Apple Music.

Since macOS is not bit perfect, I decide to go for iPad Pro with the following :

1. First add an USB C hub with ethernet port, then connect it to a switch (using Uptone ER), turn off WiFi
  2. Do not use the same hub for power charging, instead get an Apple Keyboard for iPad Pro, there is an extra USB port for charging
  3. Instead of using Apple charger, I use 5v Battery or a LPS

IMG_9100.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

On 6/14/2021 at 12:24 AM, mitch751 said:

The way that I listen to Apple Music.

Since macOS is not bit perfect, I decide to go for iPad Pro with the following :

1. First add an USB C hub with ethernet port, then connect it to a switch (using Uptone ER), turn off WiFi
  2. Do not use the same hub for power charging, instead get an Apple Keyboard for iPad Pro, there is an extra USB port for charging
  3. Instead of using Apple charger, I use 5v Battery or a LPS

IMG_9100.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

Magnifique! Beautiful set up.

The Al Stewart album anniversary reissue is wonderful! Good choice!