IGNORED

M Scaler vs. HQPlayer

M Scaler vs. HQPlayer Poll  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For those who’ve tried both with a Chord TT2 or DAVE, did you prefer M Scaler or HQPlayer for upsampling music streamed from Tidal/Qobuz?

Please respond to the poll and feel free to add further color to comments below. Thank you!

(Note: this question is specific to streaming. For owned music I’ve trialed PGGB and its fantastic!)

From a purely number crunching perspective of Sinc filters and noise shapers, both MScaler and HQPlayer are very close ...with HQPlayer's SINC-L PCM filter at 2M taps (vs MScaler 1M taps) and LNS-15 15th order noise shaper (vs MScaler 11th order) being able to retrieve more details at 16fs upsampling, IMO.

However that is not the entire story. If you are using USB to get the bitstream to your DAC, any RF noise accompanying the digital signal gets into the DACs clocking and small-signal processing. So a comparison of PC+HQP->DAC vs PC->MScaler->DAC also includes the variation in RF emissions from the PC doing the heavy lifting vs the MScaler. 

If you want a revelation in sound quality from your Chord DX DAC, your chain should be: PC+HQP->SCR-DX->DAC or, if you have the funds, PC+HQP->SRC-DX->OPTO-DX->DAC with OPTO-DX on battery power. Yes, its a chain of black boxes and wires that needs to be tucked away ... but it gets you a pragmatic solution to the elimination of RF noise (at least in the signal!).

22 minutes ago, dmance said:

From a purely number crunching perspective of Sinc filters and noise shapers, both MScaler and HQPlayer are very close ...with HQPlayer's SINC-L PCM filter at 2M taps (vs MScaler 1M taps) and LNS-15 15th order noise shaper (vs MScaler 11th order) being able to retrieve more details at 16fs upsampling, IMO.

However that is not the entire story. If you are using USB to get the bitstream to your DAC, any RF noise accompanying the digital signal gets into the DACs clocking and small-signal processing. So a comparison of PC+HQP->DAC vs PC->MScaler->DAC also includes the variation in RF emissions from the PC doing the heavy lifting vs the MScaler. 

If you want a revelation in sound quality from your Chord DX DAC, your chain should be: PC+HQP->SCR-DX->DAC or, if you have the funds, PC+HQP->SRC-DX->OPTO-DX->DAC with OPTO-DX on battery power. Yes, its a chain of black boxes and wires that needs to be tucked away ... but it gets you a pragmatic solution to the elimination of RF noise (at least in the signal!).

Thanks for the reply! What does "SCR-DX" refer to?

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

M-Scaler brings a greater improvement to my TT2.  Despite that I have moved to HQPlayer as I found that the music server matters even more.  My M-Scaler is up for sale now to help fund my music server upgrade.

Passing PGGB-processed files through M-Scaler degrades sound quality - even in bypass.  That’s another reason I no longer use M-Scaler.

That's cool of you to be transparent and share knowledge on this, even though you're currently selling your MScaler. 

I've got a DAVE and an MScaler, but don't prefer the MScaler or HQPlayer

I've moved from Roon+HQPlayer to Jplay femto connected to the DAVE with a JCAT reference USB

I'm also using a CEC TL5 belt drive CD transport connected to the DAVE with a Blackcat TRON BNC

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

On 4/30/2021 at 7:28 PM, kennyb123 said:

I’d imagine there’s a good chance HQPlayer is better than the M-Scaler used with the BNC cables Chord provides.  

...IMO, the BNC cables provided by Chord for the HMS were ill-fitting junk. I knew this from other users, so I tried them for a very brief time and immediately swapped over to a good Straightwire pair.

I soon upgraded to the Wave cables, where I have been for a good while now. I have used Dave with and without HMS: I prefer it with HMS. No plan to add the Opto boxes. No plan for HQP upsampling. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

5 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...IMO, the BNC cables provided by Chord for the HMS were ill-fitting junk. I knew this from other users, so I tried them for a very brief time and immediately swapped over to a good Straightwire pair.

I soon upgraded to the Wave cables, where I have been for a good while now. I have used Dave with and without HMS: I prefer it with HMS. No plan to add the Opto boxes. No plan for HQP upsampling. 

Somewhere else on this forum I mentioned that the BNC cables provided by Chord need to stay in the box.  Nice of them to include cables but one need not spend much money to beat them.  

While I haven't heard the WAVE cables, I'm sure you are in a great place.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I would think that if you could galvanically isolate the USB connection from your computer that HQPlayer would be better. Some Dac like the Holo May do this.  The sear number of setting in HQplayer can be confusing but once you get it set up for your Dac it is transformational.