IGNORED

Article: The Q Sessions, Straight From The Studio Pure PCM Recording Available On Qobuz

3 hours ago, Rexp said:

While it sounded good initially I find it fatiguing, did a waveform analysis and you can see the dynamic range has been reduced, also the spectral plot is not clean. A real missed opportunity IMO as the music is great. 

Yes, fatiguing is the right word. It seemed to me that the material itself was the reason.

It is the soprano sax on track 2 that is fatiguing. I find the same to be true on the latest Emmet Cohen release even with a tenor. The tracks without the sax sound fantastic, but the ones with the sax are annoying. Must be those new horns. They are nowhere as good as the old ones. Too bright.

28 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

It is the soprano sax on track 2 that is fatiguing. I find the same to be true on the latest Emmet Cohen release even with a tenor. The tracks without the sax sound fantastic, but the ones with the sax are annoying. Must be those new horns. They are nowhere as good as the old ones. Too bright.

Very subjective opinion, but to me all jazz based on simple and rigid rhythmic patterns seems tiresome. Therefore, I prefer the more atmospheric European approach (ECM, ACT, etc.) or the jazz of the 50s-60s, where everything was subtler and deeper.

If it's about the SQ, this is a step in the right direction. Very clear and lifelike. If it's about the involvement the musicians create by their virtuosity; it's very good. If it's about the music; it's not my cup of tea.  But, thank you.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"