IGNORED

Article: The Q Sessions, Straight From The Studio Pure PCM Recording Available On Qobuz

3 hours ago, Rexp said:

While it sounded good initially I find it fatiguing, did a waveform analysis and you can see the dynamic range has been reduced, also the spectral plot is not clean. A real missed opportunity IMO as the music is great. 

Yes, fatiguing is the right word. It seemed to me that the material itself was the reason.

It is the soprano sax on track 2 that is fatiguing. I find the same to be true on the latest Emmet Cohen release even with a tenor. The tracks without the sax sound fantastic, but the ones with the sax are annoying. Must be those new horns. They are nowhere as good as the old ones. Too bright.

28 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

It is the soprano sax on track 2 that is fatiguing. I find the same to be true on the latest Emmet Cohen release even with a tenor. The tracks without the sax sound fantastic, but the ones with the sax are annoying. Must be those new horns. They are nowhere as good as the old ones. Too bright.

Very subjective opinion, but to me all jazz based on simple and rigid rhythmic patterns seems tiresome. Therefore, I prefer the more atmospheric European approach (ECM, ACT, etc.) or the jazz of the 50s-60s, where everything was subtler and deeper.

If it's about the SQ, this is a step in the right direction. Very clear and lifelike. If it's about the involvement the musicians create by their virtuosity; it's very good. If it's about the music; it's not my cup of tea.  But, thank you.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

• 1 month later...

Sounds so amazing.  Would like to know the actual ADC used here.  

I know that my favorite 'true PCM' recordings are the Reference Recordings series done on the discontinued venerable Pacific Microsonics Ladder ADC at 24 bit 176.4Khz.  

When we talk format wars DSD, PCM.. MQA, it really to MY ear comes down to the least amount of DSP and shifting between formats, sample rates, the multiplicity of filtering required for that, etc. etc is what makes the difference.  

I don't care if it is DSD or PCM, if its a great source recording, especially if its actually recorded on a 1 bit converter like the Grimm which is unfortunately only at 64fs, or a true 24 bit no Delta Sigma PCM converter like the Pacific Microsonics, then played back on a DAC with minimal processing in that same format as recorded (that is PCM on a ladder with no DSM, or DSD at 1 bit with no conversions at all be it filtering done in the unary code domain or filtering done in 2s complement PCM.. the only DSP being the final analog filter DAC) will sound the best.  

On 6/10/2021 at 1:36 AM, Andy-HandyHifi said:

Sounds so amazing.  Would like to know the actual ADC used here.  

I know that my favorite 'true PCM' recordings are the Reference Recordings series done on the discontinued venerable Pacific Microsonics Ladder ADC at 24 bit 176.4Khz.  

When we talk format wars DSD, PCM.. MQA, it really to MY ear comes down to the least amount of DSP and shifting between formats, sample rates, the multiplicity of filtering required for that, etc. etc is what makes the difference.  

I don't care if it is DSD or PCM, if its a great source recording, especially if its actually recorded on a 1 bit converter like the Grimm which is unfortunately only at 64fs, or a true 24 bit no Delta Sigma PCM converter like the Pacific Microsonics, then played back on a DAC with minimal processing in that same format as recorded (that is PCM on a ladder with no DSM, or DSD at 1 bit with no conversions at all be it filtering done in the unary code domain or filtering done in 2s complement PCM.. the only DSP being the final analog filter DAC) will sound the best.  

Shame you just bought it, I would have given you my copy for free. 

3 hours ago, Rexp said:

Shame you just bought it, I would have given you my copy for free. 

HA.  I didn't buy the album.  I did listen to a few minutes of first track streaming and found the sound quality outstanding.  I have no actual opinion on the music per se.  Not enough listening time.  

Edit.  Going deeper in, on track 2 and 3 I do hear what could be described as a bit hard edgy or unnatural sounding in some spots.  Perhaps its a bit 'uneven'.  Certainly there are some outstanding moments from a SQ perspective.  

More listening needed to form an actual opinion rather than impressions.