IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of... Donald Fagen’s The Nightfly

What a read! Thank you.

This article inspired me to rip my original digital mastering CD to my library uncompressed. After repeated listens to that with my Grado SR 80s -- increasing my appreciation for the album, as I'd been listening to AAC (lossy) rips of said CD -- I decided to buy the 24/48 remaster from HDTracks. Have now been listening repeatedly to each mastering, alternating. Only yesterday did I buy the 24/48, so I'm still forming my comparative impressions. Definitely, I prefer the title track in the original mastering. As you said (and displayed), it's more dynamic; the verse chord blasts hit so great in the original, and although they might sound even "louder" in the remaster, it's just not as good. I.G.Y., I probably also prefer the original: it's just perfect for the mood and message of the song. Green Flower Street, I probably prefer the remaster for the grooving bass.

This is my current obsession (whilst simultaneously working), so I'll be happy to post more the more I listen.

Again, thank you Josh.

TDP

As anticipated above, more unsolicited comparative opinions:

Though I still prefer the original I.G.Y., it's closer than I thought. The remaster horns are much better. Still, the dynamics give the original the edge. New Frontier, I have nothing against the remaster, and prefer it. Clearer, more defined drums and bass, and Larry Carlton's leads sound even better. For those keeping score at home (and why) it's tied.

I.G.Y., title track - Original

Green Flower Street, New Frontier - Remaster

I think Ruby Baby is gonna go to the original, but haven't yet decided.