IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

Really wow, looks very good. Curious to know how it’s SQ is.

I only would have used a different power connector because it total height. It wouldn’t fit in my case, I only have have about 5mm or so.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Interesting product. My question is as follows:
1. With the Capacitors and Power input socket, how would this fit into the MB NVMe Slot if there are heat sink covers to fit ontop. 

2. Or will the SQ benefits be reduced if we use this with a USB - C adaptor or an external PCie riser extension card ? 

3. I TB capacity will fit an OS as well as quite a sizeable music library. Will partitioning the NVMe drive affect the SQ if we load music files onto the other Non-OS partition.

Kelvin 

Love to try it too. But I am out in the Far East.

Just letting you know. 

FYI

I have Samsung 860 SSD, Intell SLC SSD (X-25E - 64gb model), Sandisk SSD, Intel Optane 64gb NVME, Samsung 960Pro NVME, an economical chinese branded SSD, as well as a traditional Toshiba HDD as a baseline test unit

and 

I have in my kit, the NVME USB-C adapter as well as the PCIE riser NVME adaptor. 

So I am ready to go as  a tester... Just saying it.

2 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Interesting product. My question is as follows:
1. With the Capacitors and Power input socket, how would this fit into the MB NVMe Slot if there are heat sink covers to fit ontop. 

2. Or will the SQ benefits be reduced if we use this with a USB - C adaptor or an external PCie riser extension card ? 

3. I TB capacity will fit an OS as well as quite a sizeable music library. Will partitioning the NVMe drive affect the SQ if we load music files onto the other Non-OS partition.

Kelvin 

1. yes it will fit fine. it will come with copper heatsink in future production. however the current test samples does not come with heatsinks and does not affect performance or operation.

2. yes, i believe so, we have not tried with any sort adaptors but general rules are adaptors will reduce performance.

3. its 1tb 3D NAND flash in pseudo SLC mode means SSD in SLC operation mode so real capacity would be 333GB and life span will increase 300% vs standard 3D flash. This SSD is designed to used as system drive which has the most affect on music play back performance. Recommend to store music files to other drives.

Will PM you product and testing information later , thanks.

Really cool. Paul Pang offered audiophile grade sata based ssd drives with OCXO (or TCXO) based a while back. I never had a chance to try one but those who did definitely had to say good things about it. In current generation, the M.2 based NVME is a great performer for audio, especially the Optane drives for OS which has extremely low latency. This seems like a great solution. I am assuming both the NAND and OCXO is powered through the external power connector ? How is the latency compared to Optane ? Would love to try one in any case.

4 hours ago, Dev said:

Really cool. Paul Pang offered audiophile grade sata based ssd drives with OCXO (or TCXO) based a while back. I never had a chance to try one but those who did definitely had to say good things about it. In current generation, the M.2 based NVME is a great performer for audio, especially the Optane drives for OS which has extremely low latency. This seems like a great solution. I am assuming both the NAND and OCXO is powered through the external power connector ? How is the latency compared to Optane ? Would love to try one in any case.

When the jumper is switched to DC in, all components will no longer be powered by the motherboard. We currently send out all samples (including Optane users), will notify you in the next wave of testing, thanks.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:17 AM, darkforce said:

Almost a year in the making, the world's only NVMe M2 SSD designed for audiophiles and music lovers. Designed from ground up, co-develop with controller manufacturer using 3D NAND flash with pseudo SLC mode, external clock oscillator, 200% more PCB copper isolation, milspec PCB stiffness, 300% grounding surface, 5u gold plated connectors, plus external power input, additional capacitor filteration. These results to real 3 demensional souding, sense of vinyl and dynamic sound no other SSD currently can offer or even close to.

We are currently offering 2 test samples for experienced CAT users who willing to share your experience and feedbacks, if you are willing to participate in the experience, please send private message.

Audiophile NVMe M2 SSD specification

• 1GB 3D NAND flash in pseudo SLC mode = 333GB
  • Crystek Crystek CCHD-957 Femto clock ossilator
  • Audionote Kaisei 2x 220uf capacitors
  • External 5V DC power input 2.1mm or Internal MB power with capacitor pass through
  • 2oz copper 8 layer PCB
  • Milspec PCB stiffness
  • 300% grouding area
  • 5u gold plated connectors
  • CNC copper heatsink

S__5302702.jpg

S__53027030.jpg

S__53027029.jpg

S__53027031.jpg

What’s the difference between 3DNAND flash with pseudo SLC mode, and SLC?

1 hour ago, Topk said:

What’s the difference between 3DNAND flash with pseudo SLC mode, and SLC?

Available space becomes 1/3, and the technically confirmed advantages are better life and reliability. Even though we get the full support of the memory factory, we can no longer obtain large-capacity real SLC products.

The sound quality is just our test experience, this test is performed under the same standard product (PCB, external power jack, crystal oscillator, capacitors, etc. have not been modified)

TLC mode: It sounds like background music, no features and powerless, everything is flattened, lacks extension and density.

pSLC mode: There is a special natural feeling, it becomes more smooth and calm, the thickness is slightly increased, and overall it is more resistant to hearing but still slightly dry.

10 hours ago, NewOldman said:

has anybody test this one yet,

and what is the impression

Still trying the drive out, just received 2 days ago. Initial impressions are positive, this is easy/pleasant to live with as OS boot drive, unlike the Samsung 970 Evo plus NVME

I tried last. Seller recommendation is use for OS, not media storage; I concur.

Will take to end of the week as swapping it in place of Optane boot drive caused Euphony hardware signature change so I need to finish listening, then revert back

to Optane HW license to complete comparison, share observations.

Note that if you have a normal height NUC as I do, you can remove the SATA drive enclosure for the card to fit. External NVME power is a little trickier because of case clearance,

I've left the case bottom off for my testing but a right angle DC jack adaptor/extension would be better option for permanent installation.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Super NVME M2 drive in my main rig

Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Ultra / 10700k

Pins in 2,3 position to take power injection from external 5v source - min 2.5amp needed

Running Windows Server 2019 GUI version with Hqplayer 3.25 and 4.10.3

initial impressions very favorable..

Tests will be as below:

One vs the following:

1, Samsung 860 Pro 256gb on 1.5amp LT3045 running Win Server 2019 Core / AO3 

This is the reigning Champion

2. Optane 64gb NVME Express  -Win Server 2019 GUI on MOBO power

3. Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512gb WonServer 2019 GUI on Mobo power

4. Intel SLC 64gb SSD 1st Gen  - Windows LTSC on LT 3045 

5. Sandisk SSD 120gb - Win 10 Pro on LT3045

6. Toshiba 2TB with 12v and 5v external power injection running Win Server 2019 Core 

as Base case

My main rig is pretty much optimized with full external fan power and PWM bypass using half speed resistors.. Fully damped chassis and fans are flexible mounted. Case and 860 Evo and Samsung Music SSD earthed and Mumetal shielded outside PC case

3 ATX psu's all Corsairs.. RM550 powering fans AIO  and fan controller. RM650 poweing 12v EPS to 10700k CPU.. HX850 on 24 pin ATX Connector

2 units of Elfidelity PCie power filters on PCie slots.

All fans are on Elfidelity fan filters

I am lucky as the Power Company 440v 3 phase supply line comes into my house then 220v single phase enters my house DB.

I had my electriciisn run 2 dedicated lines from my DB into my music room

1 dedicated circiut 30 amp to HP amps and tube preamp, tube monobloc power amps.

DAC is SMSL VMS D1 and Gustard A22 and iFi Micro BL 

Main HP amps 2 x 30 watt pure Class A direct Resistor equipped speaker tap connection. to Abyss AB-1266Phi/CC

Spkr System - 45 Tube / 6n1p Double C Transformer equipped Preamp driving 2 Audionote Quest Silver 300b Monoblocks on 2 x LOTH-X Aura Back Loaded Horns with Tannoy ST-50 supertweeters

Happy testing ahead

C6C320A8-9199-410B-AECD-CC0FF3BBAE06.jpeg

98B5BE86-8D6E-48E3-8CF9-96E090357A60.jpeg

44E72C6B-E70D-428A-B19F-5F798CD85FFB.jpeg

345A1ED7-944E-4678-837F-A0E2941F7D2C.jpeg

6381E81E-6AFA-4DB8-8245-E8FC50E5C4A9.jpeg

BD21E846-EC66-440F-BD02-04B6DE297DA5.jpeg

I am also testing this NVME M2 drive on behalf of @darkforce.

My unit  came a little late, too early to tell, but the capacitors and regulators on the PCB needs to burn in.

The initial SQ on casual listening is clean, clear but a little soft and lacking in bass - all the signs of necessary burn-in

More findings in next update.