IGNORED

Effects of a Linear Power Supply

Adding a linear power supply to a computer seems misguided to me for the reasons you mention, there's a lot going on in there to pollute the sound. My laptop sounds the same whether running from AC or battery, so clearly an LPS would not help, at all. 

My strategy has been to separate the DAC power from the computer. There are a few ways to do this:

• If the DAC doesn't need power from the computer, then block the USB cable pin #1, 5V power.
  • If the DAC needs USB power, substitute the computer power using one of the following methods (in no particular order):
  1. Use a split USB cable (one USB B, two USB A connectors), with a 5V LPS on the power leg for the DAC.
  2. Use an iFi iDefender with outboard PSU
  3. Use a USB cleaner with LPS, e.g. Iso Regen, etc.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Have you tried it? The once you have you’ll understand why so many people on this forum have moved to LPS. Highly quality you go the more the SQ increases. I cannot think about using a PC or Laptop without a LPS. I encourage you to. 

Like I said, my laptop sounds the same on AC or battery. What is it you think an LPS will do that a battery won't? Have you tried my solution, clean power for the DAC?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

I have four linear power supplies in my main system and one on my router. I tried an LPS on my ethernet switch but it was awful. I'm using an iFi iPower X on the switch now, and it was a big improvement.

Linear power is not a miracle cure. I don't use one with my laptop or Raspberry Pi, because they are not for serious listening.  I use a music renderer in my main system for critical listening.

10 minutes ago, Citrus said:

Hi AudioBomber.

Just made a post seconds after you posted.

Messed up with names and attributed your post to ASRMicheal.

Apologies to you and ASRMichael.

Im going to try the USB pin thing asap. I have a 12v DAC

Im curious what blocking the #1 pin will do? Im guessing by blocking you mean stick a bit of tape over it or such like?

thanks C

What DAC is that? Do you connect to it with a USB cable?

Here's the simple mod for blocking the power pin:

https://community.octoprint.org/t/put-tape-on-the-5v-pin-why-and-how/13574

I run the Audiolab DAC in my headphone system this way, as it doesn't need USB power. Blocking the power pin removes some high frequency hash.

13 minutes ago, Citrus said:

Thanks AudioBomber

At the moment im using my crusty old DAC X6. Thats 12v (amazingly this still sounds far better than some very expensive DACs ive tried!)

Ive got an Audiolab mdac mini thats 5v but thats getting repaired.

Both are connected withUSB.

The 12V SMPS is powering the X6 alright, but I suspect it still needs 5V from USB to power the DAC. The way to be sure is to do the tape mode. If USB power is needed, you won't hurt anything, the DAC will simply not play.

If you want to improve the X6, you could do so by using a linear power supply. I recommend this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324187931676

Another solution I've had success with on inexpensive DAC's is the iFi iPurifer2. There's an improved version called the iPurifier3.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, HIRES_FAN said:

So many dedicated audio "streamers" (even $$$$$ ones) are just cleverly disguised PCs with ITX boards and whatever else.

General purpose computers contain unnecessary and counterproductive components and software, which results in inferior sound compared to a dedicated music renderer.