IGNORED

Good speaker comparison site

Both valid and good speakers in my opinion. 

The KEF LS50 Meta sounds to me a little more "airy", which doesn't necessarily mean better. Actually I find the Buchardt more musical and overall enjoyable.

I'm quite interested in the active version of the KEF LS50 Meta. Not for my main system, though – to pair them with my TV and for occasional audio only listening. Waiting for the Roon Ready firmware update which is expected to roll out within the end of this month.

From the same reviewer I appreciated the reviews of the Marten Oscar Duo and Parker Duo standmount speakers. Marten is a brand I'm curious about. Hope to have an occasion to listen to them. Anyway, a different level of speakers.

20 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Does anyone else wonder how to compare relatively expensive stand speakers, through an expensive professional microphone, with the differences in procedure he mentioned, and having the resulting sound compressed for youtube (AAC @ 128 kbps to a max of 256) and listening on 1 ½ inch laptop speakers or earbuds? <rofl>

All those YouTube "listening sessions" are of course far from being realistic. Some of them are so badly recorded that are unlistenable, ruining the whole purpose (and the components involved) – if there's a purpose at all.

In this specific case it's not that bad, IMO. It's still possible to catch some tonal differences. Some aspects like, say, soundstage is definitely impossible to feel/hear, at least for me.

People still don't understand the concept of listening to a clip to pick things up - for the 9,000th time, you're not trying to hear how good it is; rather, you're listening for all the things it's getting wrong ...

Big, big clue: is it really, really obvious that it's a hifi system rattling away when you listen? Or, do you have trouble picking that it's not actually a recording of some live event; or perhaps the actual recording itself, straight? Think about it ... if the goal is for the reproduction to be realistic, and it's clear that it's far from that in a YT video - then what hope does it have of being 'right', in the flesh?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, fas42 said:

People still don't understand the concept of listening to a clip to pick things up - for the 9,000th time, you're not trying to hear how good it is; rather, you're listening for all the things it's getting wrong ...

Big, big clue: is it really, really obvious that it's a hifi system rattling away when you listen? Or, do you have trouble picking that it's not actually a recording of some live event; or perhaps the actual recording itself, straight? Think about it ... if the goal is for the reproduction to be realistic, and it's clear that it's far from that in a YT video - then what hope does it have of being 'right', in the flesh?

Did you pick up anything wrong with the microphone?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, semente said:

Did you pick up anything wrong with the microphone?

How many times have you come across a microphone that is so 'damaged' that it makes a recording of live music making sound like a hifi system instead, 🙂 ? IOW, the failings of a mic are of a completely different order from those of reproduction setups.

What is astounding, at least to those who have never experienced this, is how well very primitive recording setups, meaning also the microphones when they first started being used, are at picking up fine detail in what is going on. Literally 100 year old recordings can present a convincing sense of liveness, easily outclassing some highly manipulated modern captures in their ability to convey the 'naturalness' of the music making. Of course, the system has to be in a very high state of tune for the intrinsic noisiness of these to be discarded by the listening brain.