IGNORED

Article: Review | Taking The Denafrips Terminator To 11

5 minutes ago, botrytis said:

45 lbs? Did they add lead to it? Sorry being a little snarky.

How does it compare to say a DCS or other high end DAC?

The chassis is made of depleted uranium. Only joking. 

The Denafrips is a different animal from most other DACs. It certainly has a flavor, but all components do. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

Hi-

Pretty interesting. I'm a bit confused by one part, though: What was your NAA endpoint? The Sonore specs max out at 768kHz, so how did you do 1536?

And how different is that from the same setup but with 768 (which is more commonly available)?

The Sonore has no such maximum. My guess is a maximum may have been tested previously because nobody had anything that could go to 32fs. My Sonore signatureRendu SE optical can handle 32fs at 1,411 and 1,536 kHz. 

I didn't extensively compare 768 to 1536. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 hours ago, cjf said:

Mother of God. The asking price of those Wilson footers take my breath away. Now we wait to see which brand has the balls to be the first to ask for double that of the Wilson price. The audiophile brand price war on who can make the most expensive stuff never ends 😀

The DAC looks pretty cool though

They are less than the cost of a Mint Julep at the Kentucky Derby :~)

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/sport/mint-julep-cocktail-kentucky-derby/index.html

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

For much cheaper but tasty mint julips there are Isoacoustic Orea footers.  Although I can't vouch for them I have friends whose ears I respect that can.

Great review Chris, as always.  I assume your CAPS 20 is the server (with 20.1 as the NAA running Jussi's NAA image)?  Look forward to your comments on offline 32fs production (i.e PGGB) and their sound via the Terminator. 

BTW, went to school in southern Ohio, and hit the Derby every year (inc. Secretariat's great victory).  I should have save my mint julips from those years...would be worth a lot now.   😎

Hi Ted, I used both the Sonore signatureRendu SE optical and the CAPS 20.1 (with Jussi's NAA image) as endpoints. I like to test both a commercial product people can purchase and a more DIY type product like the CAPS 20.1. The CAPS 20 was the server of course. 

1 minute ago, Ben-M said:

But given that you did so much already~

Why no DSD1024?

You even mentioned it in the intro ;-) HQPlayer might not be able to output the full deal modulators at DSD512 or DSD1024 on any PC yet, but there are a lot of options to scale down the processing requirements while still outputting a DSD512 or 1024 feed. With Jussi at your

You did say you took it to DSD256 with the EC modulators, then over to PCM at 1500k. Does that mean you went on up with DSD rates, but didn't like it? That'd be odd for you to skip saying if so. 

Thanks for the review. As another guy said, you've got an engaging writing style with a different focus than average. What did you find out about Denafrips' team's back story? Man, too many questions. 

Hi Ben, enough with the questions. ONLY JOKING :~) I encourage everyone to always ask whatever they wish. I'm a hard person to offend. 

A couple things to note.

1. I do my best to write as accessibly as possible. This often means keeping the testing and overly technical discussions in check. I see front page articles as items for everyone and forum conversations as the place for all the nitty gritty details. This is just my style. 

2. After researching DSD options using my own ears and expertise from people like Jussi, I opted for DSD256 only because I believe the EC modulators are more important than a higher rate right now. Eventually we'll have the best of both worlds with EC and higher rates. I really liked DSD256 and EC modulators with the Terminator. I just liked PCM better. This of course is relevant only to my ears on my system. I'm sure others will find the opposite. But, this is the cool thing about external software upsampling. The flexibility to do what one likes is undeniable. 

6 minutes ago, luisma said:

Very nice review Chris, I especially like you decided to introduce the HQPlayer "variable" in it, this is something most reviewers leave out, which I understand to be more pragmatic about results but "reality" is many of us use HQPlayer and we wonder about its benefits and interaction with certain DACs, thank you for including it and for the detailed settings and comments. My experience with the terminator mimic yours in terms of preference for upsampling.

Great review

Luis

Thanks Luis. HQP is just a natural pairing for Denafrips DACs. I can't imagine driving a new Porsche 911 with stock Toyota Camry tires. Using HQP with the Terminator (and the other Denafrips DACs) is like putting on a new set of the best tires money can buy. Plus, one day you can use racing tires meant for the drag strip and the next day racing tires meant for an oval. HQP is just so configureable. 

2 minutes ago, jxo said:

Chris:  thanks much for the review and look forward to hearing more about your experience with the DAC.

I can offer another endorsement of Vinshine Audio and Alvin.  I have been on the DAC sidelines for quite a while but based on all the positive and credible feedback I pulled the trigger and will be getting one of his DACs.  Alvin has been extremely responsive, knowledgeable and helpful.  

Now I can torture myself figuring out how best to network TBs of music files to this thing.

Jim

You’re in luck. Many people here in the AS community are here to help. 

• 2 weeks later...