IGNORED

Article: Review | Taking The Denafrips Terminator To 11

45 lbs? Did they add lead to it? Sorry being a little snarky.

How does it compare to say a DCS or other high end DAC?

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

5 minutes ago, botrytis said:

45 lbs? Did they add lead to it? Sorry being a little snarky.

How does it compare to say a DCS or other high end DAC?

The chassis is made of depleted uranium. Only joking. 

The Denafrips is a different animal from most other DACs. It certainly has a flavor, but all components do. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi-

Pretty interesting. I'm a bit confused by one part, though: What was your NAA endpoint? The Sonore specs max out at 768kHz, so how did you do 1536?

And how different is that from the same setup but with 768 (which is more commonly available)?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

Hi-

Pretty interesting. I'm a bit confused by one part, though: What was your NAA endpoint? The Sonore specs max out at 768kHz, so how did you do 1536?

And how different is that from the same setup but with 768 (which is more commonly available)?

The Sonore has no such maximum. My guess is a maximum may have been tested previously because nobody had anything that could go to 32fs. My Sonore signatureRendu SE optical can handle 32fs at 1,411 and 1,536 kHz. 

I didn't extensively compare 768 to 1536. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Nice review Chris.  Agreed, Alvin has provided the best support and customer service I have ever experienced in audio.  USA-based support is also available as you noted.

I look forward to your report on the Terminator 2.  I sincerely hope Alvin is also sending you a Denafrips DDC and some clock cables so you can experience the clock out feature which really takes things to another sonic level.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hi Chris,

I love to read your reviews. Your reports often have a nice backstory that allows the reader to follow you. And yes Denafrips builds great DACs.

Thanks

Gabriel

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

All this time I thought a R2R DAC had to convert all incoming DSD to PCM. Is that not the case?

I believe it depends on the R2R in question.  I believe something like the MAY has discrete PCM and DSD in a R2R package, but something like the Yggy doesn't do DSD and has to convert DSD > PCM.....I think.  I don't think there are many R2R's that handle both formats like the MAY does.

My rig

Chris,

An excellent review that you teased some months ago when mentioned up-sampling. The Denafrips Pontus has been on my "COVID Revenge Shopping LIst" for some time so I will probably go ahead and purchase.

Inspired by your CAPS builds'. I had a custom Roon server built using the same Streamcom DB4, Ryzen processor, 64gb RAM, 5TB of NVME SSD, HDPLEX internal and external power supplies, HQPlayer / NAA. USB out to my DAC. I use HQP Ext2 / DSD 256 / ASDM7EC for filters.  I then did another combination: Roon server on one PC and my Small Green Computer I7 for HQP only (all other functions disabled). The sound quality took another leap upwards.

Your reviews have always lead me to better sound quality. Thanks

39 minutes ago, cjmv50 said:

I am curious about the Terminator II. I just looked at the Denefrips website and it not there. I see it listed on Vishine Audio’s website. No mention of the what’s new or the sonic improvement from those changes.

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-terminator-r2r-dac

Vinshine are the people who actually sell it, so that's the place to look. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yes the Wilson feet are expensive. I have no experience with them so won’t comment on them other than to say I trust Chris. I did get some Critical Mass System .8 footers for my Yggy from a friend who is a dealer. Much to my surprise they did make a noticeable improvement in the sound. I am not sure the improvement was worth the grief from the finance committee once she found out what they cost, but...... I have since found footers from an acquaintance DIYer that work just as well for way less money that I have placed under other components. The CMS footers stay under the Yggy. The short story, footers can be a benefit. Whether they are worth the cost is totally up to you though.