IGNORED

Tidal Connect on Raspberry (how-to)

7 minutes ago, xthesaintx said:

All in one reply to your posts:

• Audio jack on the pi is awful, RCA on the DAC hat is the way to go, it's not a bad wee one you got. 
  • MQA to false :- unless you're DAC has a MQA unfolder, not much point setting it to true, and MQA is technically lossy, so I usually stick to the lossless HiFi with Tidal
  • "Attempting to initialize a decoder without initial data" - If it works, ignore the errors, this version of Tidal connect is "appropriated" from a ifi media streamer, so it's going to have it's oddities running on hardware it wasn't intended for. Hence the libcurl 3/4 errors and random crashes.

I don't like not knowing what's going on, but as long as it works... 

7 minutes ago, xthesaintx said:

I've removed all my streaming from my PI, I use it as a MPD player hooked up to a DAC and it runs my media centre but for streaming I use WiiM mini - it puts out bit perfect via toslink, so hooks up to the DAC, it's got a great app on iOS and android, intergrates with Siri and Alexa, and does Tidal connect, Spotify connect, Airplay, Bluetooth, integrates with all the major music services (heart radio, deezer, qobuz)..... and it's cheaper than a Pi, I picked mine up from AliExpress for $80 (NZD) (55USD)

https://wiimhome.com/Overview.html

Nice concept, but getting it shipped to Germany costs > 110 €. So that's not really an option. Especially if my PI keeps working.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the first comment I was able to set under the Tidal connect moOde 7.6.1 and it was worked.

I also tried to install under the Tidal connect moOde 8.0.x, but unfortunately it hadn’t worked.

After running the “ sudo curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/shawaj/HiTide/main/install.sh | sudo bash” I keep getting the following error:

66313848_Tidal1.thumb.jpg.0aa6cb22aa75c4c7a0ba203de6066912.jpg

The output of the “ aplay –l” and the “ /lib/systemd/system/ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service”:

1986618403_Tidal2.thumb.jpg.78ed24289496a1e9d58f58ed33f5542c.jpg

After the ,,sudo systemctl start ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service” command get the following:

1490333643_Tidal3.thumb.jpg.230235df6a82f84df1c8c2acc2235b94.jpg

Can You help me, what can the problem be?

I'll have a better look when I get to a computer, but the first screenshot looks like lib curl wasn't installed... It will break if it's not the right version.

Uninstall v4 : 

sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove libcurl4-openssl-dev

Install v3: 

sudo apt-get install libcurl3 -y

Hi,

Both my instances of HiTide have no stopped working - they do not show as Tidal Connect instance. Ive made no changes - I wonder if the instance has been patched by Tidal as it is unofficial? Can someone confirm theirs remains working? Im using a rpi3 on Rasbian and also running one on a volumio install.

John

4 hours ago, wallace4793 said:

Hi,

Both my instances of HiTide have no stopped working - they do not show as Tidal Connect instance. Ive made no changes - I wonder if the instance has been patched by Tidal as it is unofficial? Can someone confirm theirs remains working? Im using a rpi3 on Rasbian and also running one on a volumio install.

John

rpi3 with Moode 7.6.1 still up and running!

Hi,

For me on new installation of Raspnerry Pi OS, Moode 7.6.1 and Volumio I get the same error :

Apr  5 05:32:53 moode tidal_connect_application[1469]: /usr/ifi/ifi-tidal-release/bin/tidal_connect_application: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Looks like a missing library for some reason or a path issue, Ive googled and its a common error. Some of the solutions seem old on google and dont work for me. Anyone any ideas?

John

Hi,

So I have HiTide running now after adding the new source to the /etc/apt/sources.list and manually removing libcurl4 and installing libcurl 3, I also had to manually install libavformat57 as per the seniorgod git... and now it at least is showing as running - which is where I was before... however the tidal connect instance does not show up in the players.

Im not sure my hifiberry is set up yet either but I would expect it to show in the players list? Ive checked on the moode player and the dac is playing ok. Im lost - especially after I was able to set up easily before and all of a sudden both my instances have stopped working.

John

image.thumb.png.61176ae9914105fdae44d8ddde1225a8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I installed this on top of Volumio and I must say it works great.  Reliable and SQ is very good indeed

But this hard wires the outputs to the tidal utility.  

Does anybody know any way of releasing them so that Volumio can use them again.  And I guess if this is possible then you need a way to switch them back again?

Cheers

On 4/26/2022 at 8:21 AM, MalcolmP said:

Does anybody know any way of releasing them so that Volumio can use them again.  And I guess if this is possible then you need a way to switch them back again?

Unfortunately the same happens on moode OS. Haven't found a solution yet.

7 hours ago, phimabu said:

Unfortunately the same happens on moode OS. Haven't found a solution yet.

It should only be in exclusive mode while it's in use, so if you've got tidal connect selected on your phone/tablet/computer as the output change it back to local playing and that should release it.

Hi there

Thanks for all the replies

'It should only be in exclusive mode while it's in use, so if you've got tidal connect selected on your phone/tablet/computer as the output change it back to local playing and that should release it.'

Unfortunately the is not the case.  Switching tidal connect back to the phone does not restore Volumio connectivity

Maybe the reconnection has to happen in Volumio.  The utility may have given up its exclusive rights but Volumio has to reconnect? 

Anyone any ideas on this.  Another post said the same happens in Moode?

• 1 month later...

I struggled with this sh script even tried manual install , tried different distros. Raspberry pi os , moode, dietpi picoreplayer, not one of them would work. Tried every trick in the book. That was until i tried the latest Volumio release. I logged in using ssh and started the Curl command with the github link from the first post. It installed without any errors. Not even a warning. Every  distro i had  tried had some kind of errors because of outdated sources.list, missing files etc.

when the script finished the install, the tidal connect was available in the Tidal app on my phone.

The strange part is that when I through SSH open "devices" file, it only show  IFI pro iDSD USB Audio (hw:1,0) , not my DAC. I did not even have to add the playback device string in "ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service".

I used the volumio interface and changed to  the correct DAC from there, and saved settings in GUI I restarted the Tidal service from SSH, and it just worked.

Only drawback is that playing local files through volumio does not work as long as tidal connect service is running.

My DAC is a Henry Audio USB DAC Mkll, and my xindac amp has a built in PCM2702 with USB interface.

I do not have IFI DAC or a rockchip based Pi (I have RPI 4B 8GB)

IMG_20220602_194111.jpg

IMG_20220602_194034.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey, 

I've been following the guide here and many of the troubleshooting steps shared (thanks to all who have contributed!) but sadly still having some issues. 

Pi 3 - Moode 7.6.1 - HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro DAC Hat. Clean install of all. Had no errors on install and can modify the necessary files no problem. 

However I have one issue and one question if anyone would be willing to help massive thanks! 

1. When I try to start the service I get the following error (have tried but no luck  sudo apt-get install libcurl3 -y)

pi@moode:~ $ sudo systemctl start ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service
Failed to start ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service: Unit ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service failed to load properly:                                              Invalid argument.

Checking the service returns: 

pi@moode:~ $ sudo systemctl status ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service
● ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service - RasPi Streamer Tidal Connect Service
   Loaded: error (Reason: Unit ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service failed to load properly: Invalid argument.)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Jul 30 07:20:26 moode systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service:6: Missing '='.
Jul 30 07:24:47 moode systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service:6: Missing '='.
Jul 31 08:29:16 moode systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service:6: Missing '='.
Jul 31 08:29:34 moode systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service:6: Missing '='.

2. I'm not sure what to put in for the device info when this is what I get checking available ones, could anyone help? 

pi@moode:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi], device 0: HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 [HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any help massively appreciated, thanks! 

I installed Volumio and executed the script from this thread. I then changed the output device in volumio, and after that i just worked.

I only needed the Tidal connect functionality. So I did not care that you can not have it running and use volumio functionality at the same time. I just needed Tidal Connect , and TC works great , (but Volumio does not work as long as TC  service is active.)

I tried many other distros including Moode wtih the same resualt as You, TC not starting