IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

5 hours ago, happybob said:

ZB, I just now read about the PGGB-RT and this is exciting! That said, I use a Mac and know that this is not supported now, but wondering if there's a possible path to the RT version on a Mac at some point or are there aspects to this (of course including Foobar) that are limited to Windows only? Thanks - and I love my offline PGGB!

The SDK can be used on Mac/Windows/Linux, though current implementation is on Foobar/Windows, Mac implementation in the future is possible (and currently being worked on), I can't proved ETA or any details for now.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

3 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi ZB. Are you also working on a way to make "off line" DSD conversion to PGGB less memory intensive?

No, I have optimized it to the extent I can but if I find anything I can do to improve it further I will.

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Hello ZB, you may remember me as Tony, we emailed back and forth a few months back , you and Nick even converted some music for me to try. Last you heard I was going to get myself a more powerful computer to do my own conversion.

Many things have changed since then, I had to do some car repairs, and I ended up trading in all my Chord gear to finance a speaker upgrade.

I now am using my Cheap Laptop into a Musical Fidelity MX DAC until I can afford a better DAC.

I have been reading this forum still, and I am wondering if it is even worth going down the PGGB route with my current DAC, it only plays up to 32 bit/192 KHz.

Also, I was going to buy a J river licence, but is Foobar 2000 now better suited to

using your software?

Thanks

2 hours ago, No Quarter said:

Hello ZB, you may remember me as Tony, we emailed back and forth a few months back , you and Nick even converted some music for me to try. Last you heard I was going to get myself a more powerful computer to do my own conversion.

Many things have changed since then, I had to do some car repairs, and I ended up trading in all my Chord gear to finance a speaker upgrade.

I now am using my Cheap Laptop into a Musical Fidelity MX DAC until I can afford a better DAC.

I have been reading this forum still, and I am wondering if it is even worth going down the PGGB route with my current DAC, it only plays up to 32 bit/192 KHz.

Also, I was going to buy a J river licence, but is Foobar 2000 now better suited to

using your software?

Thanks

It is hard to say if your DAC will benefit, but it is easy enough to try the foobar PGGB-RT component and upsample to 192kHz.

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

It is hard to say if your DAC will benefit, but it is easy enough to try the foobar PGGB-RT component and upsample to 192kHz.

Is that part of the free trial?,which I never ended up getting if you remember, because you concluded my laptop was too under powered. Is there anyone using a computer as their server to output PGGB files, or is everyone using dedicated servers? Since I am kind of starting with a clean slate, I wonder what my best path will ultimately be. I still like the idea of the M1 Mac mini.😉

7 hours ago, No Quarter said:

Is that part of the free trial?,which I never ended up getting if you remember, because you concluded my laptop was too under powered. Is there anyone using a computer as their server to output PGGB files, or is everyone using dedicated servers? Since I am kind of starting with a clean slate, I wonder what my best path will ultimately be. I still like the idea of the M1 Mac mini.😉

PGGB-RT for foobar2000 (foo-RT)  is different from PGGB Offline you tried earlier, PGGB-RT is light weight (i.e less processor and memory intensive),  trial never expires, it always lets you use up to 2M taps but for anything more the playback stops after 90 seconds. This is windows only version and installed as a foobar component for near real-time upsampling. Since your DAC can only go up to 192kHz, even memory requirements will be quite low so 4-8GB RAM should be fine too.

PGGB.IT! V2.2 is an app that will let you turn the PGGB-RT into offline tool (i.e, lets you create upsampled files).

PGGB-RT does not do DSD to PCM conversion and is also limited in the maximum number of taps to 1B.

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:
8 hours ago, No Quarter said:

PGGB-RT for foobar2000 (foo-RT)  is different from PGGB Offline you tried earlier, PGGB-RT is light weight (i.e less processor and memory intensive),  trial never expires, it always lets you use up to 2M taps but for anything more the playback stops after 90 seconds. This is windows only version and installed as a foobar component for near real-time upsampling. Since your DAC can only go up to 192kHz, even memory requirements will be quite low so 4-8GB RAM should be fine too.

PGGB.IT! V2.2 is an app that will let you turn the PGGB-RT into offline tool (i.e, lets you create upsampled files).

PGGB-RT does not do DSD to PCM conversion and is also limited in the maximum number of taps to 1B.

Thanks for that information ZB, lots of reading for me to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does PGGB support mono?

Was converting music last night and on the HDTracks 96/24 version of the album "Best of the Righteous Brothers", track 9, 09-Little Latin Lupe Lu,

PGGB gave an index exceeded error and skipped the track. Only thing different was that the track was mono, not stereo, track path length was shorter

than other names in the album that did convert.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Does PGGB support mono?

Was converting music last night and on the HDTracks 96/24 version of the album "Best of the Righteous Brothers", track 9, 09-Little Latin Lupe Lu,

PGGB gave an index exceeded error and skipped the track. Only thing different was that the track was mono, not stereo, track path length was shorter

than other names in the album that did convert.

That is correct, PGGB does not support mono track, you are the first to request it, I will add support in the next release.

foobar2000 for wavpack with PCM content. HQPlayer for both PCM and DSD content.

Do you have a special reason not to convert to FLAC?

EDIT: JRiver with added plugin for both PCM and DSD too.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Though I have not tried it myself, I think Audirvana supports Wavpack for PCM too.

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

FLAC is max 384k and max 24-bit.

Technically up to 65,535Hz to be pedantic, and up to 32bits (but 32bit encoder does not exist even though FLAC supports it)

6 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

Can you post the link of where can we download the JRiver plugin?

from https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WavPack:

Since MC 14.0.61, a WavPack plugin has been included with the program.

WavPack plug-ins for old versions are available from the mcplugins SourceForge page (both MC11 and MC12). Version 1 of the encoder and input plug-ins is for MC11, and version 2 is for MC12.

I am not using it with JRiver, I only found that it is supported.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
10 hours ago, cat6man said:

has anyone used this with

1)  a totalDAC (which are limited to 24/192)?

2)  for equalizing stax headphones?

1. I am not aware of anyone who has tried this. The memory requirements for low sample rates are quite low so it should be easy for you to try on a PC even ith 16GB or 8GB RAM.

2. If you have a EQ profile in mind I can help you with this.

On 8/8/2021 at 11:01 AM, Vee said:

Hopefully not off topic, but for those of us looking to apply a best match profile for streaming Qobuz... is there a set of equivalent filters in HQP that can be applied to mimic PGGB? 

I will be trying PGGB for my offline files too.

Strangely your Post just appeared, I don't think there is a equivalent filter (apples to apples), but perhaps you can try Sinc-M or Sinc-L on HQP and for samplerate in excess of 8fS, LNS15 for noise shaping

On 10/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

1. I am not aware of anyone who has tried this. The memory requirements for low sample rates are quite low so it should be easy for you to try on a PC even ith 16GB or 8GB RAM.

2. If you have a EQ profile in mind I can help you with this.

thanks for the offer.  i'm going to try to get things to run in linux under wine to check out upsampling to 192k and also to equalize stax-009 headphones.

if i fail to get the software to run in linux, i'll take you up on the offer of help with processing a few files.