IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

I am please to announce that, starting Aug 6, NativeDSD will begin selling the Patricia Barber Clique album in 32/352.8k, the original recording format.  Zaphod, Rajiv and others asked us to do this and we obliged.  We'll see how the sales go.  I will push for other labels/albums as we move on.  👍

Note: also, we will sell the album in DSD1024 (the first stereo DSD1024 I am aware of) and 32 bit DXD multichannel

That’s great news Ted, especially for PGGB users. 32-bit DXD files retain more of the precision from the original master, giving more information for PGGB to work with.

I hope PGGBers in particular, and ASers in general, support and buy this format.

3 hours ago, happybob said:

But I am currently running it on a M1 MacBook Pro (>1TB of free SSD space and 16GB of RAM)

3 hours ago, happybob said:

the dreaded "out of application memory" error and then often a PGGB crash

I'm not clear why MacOS, with >1TB of free space (presumably on you boot drive?) would cause the app to throw an OOM. Perhaps as @kennyb123 says, it could be an artifact of Intel emulation on M1.

Calling MacOS experts...

29 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Trying to figure out if the Denafrips Pontus/Venus/Terminator with dual AES/EBU inputs are an alternative to the dual BNC Chord solution. Anyone use this?

Struggling to find a description/limitations.

The reason so many of us Chord users are using a USB to dual-SPDIF bridge is to bypass the Amanero USB controller, in favor of a lower-latency input, dual-SPDIF. But you're lucky your DAC has an XMOS2 controller, that is known to not have the latency issues of Amanero, so I would consider going USB direct to the DAC. I understand the Gaia/Iris DDCs may have other benefits, but at that point you would be weighing between the benefits of:

1. using a DDC with native files (no PGGB)
  2. going USB direct using 32FS PGGB files (for Denafrips DACs).

As for DACs with "dual" SPDIF or AES inputs, I'm not aware of many. There's Chord, with the dual BNC SPDIF (16FS), dCS with their dual AES (but only goes to 8FS), and after that I'm drawing a blank. Do the Denafrips (or any other?) DACs support this "dual" mode on their SPDIF or AES inputs? Anyone?

1 hour ago, Egill23 said:

The Denafrips Terminator has dual AES/EBU input. From the manual:

Dual AES/EBU Input

1. Press the Mute button once to enter configuration mode

2. Press the INPUT+ momentarily, AES 1, AES 2 LED will turn on/off

-AES1 On = Dual AES/EBU Input Enabled

-AES2 Off = Dual AES/EBU Input Disabled

3. Wait for 10s

4. DAC back in operational mode

Interesting. What are some examples of dual-AES sources for the Terminator? And what is the max rate the Terminator can accept in dual-AES mode?

I thought these dual data modes were proprietary, like the dCS example Steve Z mentioned above. I'm pretty sure Chord MScaler also only works with Chord DACs in dual-data mode.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, chrille said:

And how could I maximise the number of taps with  an Opera recording that has got maybe 50-60 different "tracks" some lasting only 20-30 seconds and others 20 minutes or more and the complete work lasting 2-3 hours or even  3-4 hours as in some Wagner Operas?

Is PGGG capable of processing such long works as Operas and still maximise taps?

Chrille,

Many choral pieces are indexed in this way, even though the music is essentially continuous. IF this is the case, and you are willing to give up (or at least forego) this fine-grained indexing, there is a way in PGGB (look for combine.json in the manual) to combine multiple short tracks into one longer track that can get the benefit of a longer filter.

I have posted about this previously here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62699-a-toast-to-pggb-a-heady-brew-of-math-and-magic/?do=findComment&comment=1132878

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, happybob said:

1. Highend listening: PGGB files get played back directly (not via Roon) to an SRC-DX via USB and then out to an MScaler via dual SPDIF cables. The MScaler output goes to a Dave DAC via another set of dual SPDIF cables. In this scenario only 24 bits get sent to the MScaler. The MScaler then (unavoidably unfortunately) does a 3dB level adjust AND more importantly does its own noise shaping (can't disable this). The MScaler out to Dave is also 24 bits. So for this mode, either 32 bit or 24 bit "no noise shaping" is optimal, but does it matter which?

I understand the convenience factor with this configuration, but before you settle on this long term, you may consider doing your own listening tests to confirm how much you lose in SQ (subjectively, to your ears, in your system) between the above (call it A), and an optimal configuration B, where you connect to an SRC-DX via USB and then straight out to the DAVE via dual SPDIF cables.

In A, you'd be feeding non noise-shaped 24-bit data to the chain, while in B, you'd be feeding noise-shaped 24-bit data.

In my past listening tests, when ZB first introduced noise shaping in development, the increase in SQ from noise shaping over standard rounding/truncation (only to 32 bit — this was pre- SRC-DX, mind you) was quite substantial. Truncation effects on 24-bit would be even more severe.

Still, ultimately, it's your system and your ears, so if the SQ delta between A and B isn't too large, then the convenience factor of A may be worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Of course .. All observations and comments are totally Dac and system dependent' zmy ears and my tastes as well as my gear are Mine!!

No slight on what PGGB hopes to achieve but online upsampling with especially aphrodising filters is much more to my tastes..

YMMV As usual

Interesting comments. It must be a DAC-dependent thing. 

I have no experience with the Micro iDSD Black Label, but I have compared PGGBed 24/16FS files on the iFI Pro iDSD. The comparison was:

• native files, using the built-in GTO (Gibbs Transient Optimized) filter
  • PGGBed 24/16FS file, which automatically triggers the bit-perfect (BP) mode in the DAC.

For this comparison, the benefit of PGGB was large, and obvious. This was on a friend's setup, and he doesn't have HQP, so we never compared to HQP.

2 hours ago, Kalpesh said:

However I have tested with quite a success the theory that PGGB could be a nice pre-stage from 44 to 352 64 bits f, no apodizing, before feeding HQP that does the eQ and the last mile up to 1.4M

May I ask: what DAC are these findings on? My experience is nothing like yours, but then we may be on totally different DACs. I'm on a Chord DAVE.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, mcewan71 said:

1. So I get how this works in theory with the taps etc. I am just wondering how this actually happens - it’s kind of ‘breaking apart’ the PCM file then restructuring it from the pieces, right? I guess I have the experience of understanding that with digital audio files, you cannot put in what was not there in the first place (e.g. creating a lossless file from a lossy one would be a simple example). So - without reference to the information on the website (I know where to find it, and I think I understand the technical basics), could someone please humour me and translate this into layman’s terms? I guess I need to completely get my head round how I can feed in a PCM file of whatever bit depth and sample rate - and get a much better sounding file the other end. 

Wow, that's a tough question to answer. On the scale of "what is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?" 🙂 Short answer: 42. Longer answer: you really should look at @Zaphod Beeblebrox's FAQ at https://www.remastero.com/faq.html It's an easy read, not very long, and meant for laypeople, as you asked. At a minimum, please look at the section titled: What are 'Taps' and how many are too many?

21 hours ago, mcewan71 said:

2. It’s probably fair to say I am definitely along the budget end of the scale when it comes to the DACs I have. Of course, this will change over time and circumstances, but my budget DACs max out at 24/96 just now. As much as I would love to buy a Dave or even a modest step up from what I have now, it’s not within my reach currently. For my listening rooms, I use iFi Zen DACs and for headphone listening I use Audioquest Dragonflies, both red and cobalt (told you they were budget!). Point is, I enjoyed what I heard with the PGGB files using these means. As I said, I will invest in higher spec equipment over time. I just read of what seems like insane sample rates folks’ DACs handle in here, and find myself wondering if it would be pointless getting a license given my current limitations? 

I would suspect the benefit of upsampling from 44.1/48 kHz to 88.2/96 kHz (a factor of 2) to match your DAC would be modest. However, there's no substitute for experimentation, and that's what the free trial is for. If you like the uplift in SQ with your current DAC, and you have a plan to upgrade DACs over time, then a license could make sense for you. You should listen and decide for yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, GryphonGuy said:

However, after reading that @austinpop uses the "Minimal" or "more airy" button, I decided to try it.

Woh! very effective on 44.1kHz material even only upsampled to 176.4kHz.

So is that comment about being ineffective on less than 88.2kHz material a left-over from the heady development days and now after revisions the HF Noise Filter is effective at all original track sample rates?

GG,

Based on my understanding - defer to @Zaphod Beeblebrox for a definitive answer - there should be no effect of the HF Noise Filter setting for 44.1 tracks. So I don't know why you're hearing a difference.

Did you change anything else at the same time as you switched from Moderate to Minimal? PGGB versions, for example?

For the record, here is my current preferred configuration:

image.png

5 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

The only difference in my setup now is that I use "Auto(2048)" maximum taps (Million).

It must be something else, but would be good to get to solve the mystery.

What was it before you set it to 2048?

If you have a specific track on which you hear this improvement, can you post the full file name of the "before" and "after" tracks? 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
16 hours ago, gtl said:

Has the hardware requirements been lowered for MacOS with the latest PGGB 256? I would get a M1 Pro MacBook or a M2 Pro Macbook with 16gb of ram along with PGGB 256. Mostly listen to redbook or 24bit PCM with the occasional DSD64. Can the files be processed?

I would also suggest that running PGGB on a laptop, even with adequate memory should only be considered for occasional use. When running PGGB on a bunch of albums, you will have sustained periods of high resource (CPU, memory, disk) utilization for hours, so a system with good cooling is essential. Laptops in general are designed for interactive use, not for sustained workloads, which can cause your fans to run loud, and heat to build up, possibly resulting in CPU throttling. I'm not saying every machine will do that, but just as a general guideline.

A desktop computer with a good CPU cooler, and a case with good airflow, is a much more sensible option.

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I have some more information on the memory requirements. Compared to both the original PGGB and PGGB-AP, even at a precision of 256 bits, PGGB 256 is a lot more memory efficient. 

PGGB 256 uses adaptive algorithms that do not compromise on the quality of reconstruction to fit in available RAM (previously one could do this by setting taps). Currently the reconstruction quality at a given precision does not change, instead PGGB 256 adapts the processing pipeline to fit in memory and trades speed to achieve this (i.e., runs slower, to make sure the data being processed fits in memory).

What this means is one could do a lot more with 16GB RAM and PGGB 256 than previously possible. But there is still a limit to how much can be made it fit in RAM. At the minimum one needs enough RAM to hold the input data and upsampled data. So, this memory requirement depends on a few factors:

• Length of the track you are processing
  • Input rate of the track (CD vs Hi-Res vs DSD etc.)
  • Output rate (which depends on your DAC and settings, if you are upsampling to 705/768khz or 352.384kHz)
  • Precision (64, 128 or 256 bit)

It is possible to estimate the memory requirements, so that is what I did, I simulated what is possible with 16GB of RAM (these are still estimates and should be considered approximate, it is best to try on a PC or laptop to confirm). I have also attached a pdf. Below is a summary of what to expect with 16GB.

Macs do not allow user configuration of swap files but typically allow swap file to grow to at least half of available RAM, so on a Mac, the maximum I will be comfortable with is a max processing memory of 24GB on a Mac with 16GB RAM. Below all the cells marked with orange imply you will hit a limit on a 16GB Mac.

• If you are upsampling to 8fS (353/384kHz), you should be fine with most tracks within 12minutes of length even at 256 bit precision.
  • If you are upsampling to 16fS (705/768kHz), you should be fine with most tracks within 12minutes of length up to 128bit precision. 
  • If you are upsampling to 16fS (705/768kHz), you should be fine with most tracks within 6minutes of length up to 256bit precision.

For Windows, with 128GB of VM allocated, up to 12minute track at 256 bit precision would not be an issue (it would page for 16fS upsampling and would be slow). Here too 32GB RAM will be good to have.

I also have a datapoint. Somone with the new Mac 16" M2 pro with 16GB RAM did this album at 256 bit precision to 16fS in 2 hours, 12 minutes. The same album took on a PC with 16 core Threadripper 1950x and 128gb ddr4 1 hour and 2 minutes. 

image.thumb.png.1c778a7534eaed66de1deb97fa08ca4e.png 

Compare memory 256.pdf 63.73 kB · 3 downloads

Just want to clarify, in case it wasn't clear, that all the numbers in the table are virtual memory. 

On WIndows, the available virtual memory is approximately (Physical RAM + paging file(s) size). So, even if you don't have the required physical RAM, your runs will not fail, if the total amount of virtual memory is sufficient. The only downside is that the bigger the difference between the memory required and the actual RAM, the more your system will be paging, i.e. writing memory pages to and from disk. This is why a fast SSD is crucial for your paging file.