IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

45 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I will try today!

if my ears tell me right, I am in any case hearing better sound quality with my MPD playback instead of what you use so even if there is a slight trade off with wavpack it might be less noticeable. just kiddin’ 🤪

Yeah, every platform is different, with different trade offs and options. The K50 and Extreme are very different beasts. Curious to know what you hear.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ajm said:

Ending of Mahler 8, Solti CSO

An excellent album, and one of my all-time favorites! There is actually a 24/96 version that does improve on the Redbook. This is one of those rare albums where you want to use the "combine" feature of PGGB (https://www.remastero.com/guide.html#Combine). Since you have this album, you know that it has 16 tracks, but in terms of continuity, tracks 1-6 and 7-16 are contiguous. When I process this, I use the combine feature to combine these into 2 longer tracks. This does take more memory, but man, is it worth it! The resulting combined tracks 1-6 gets processed at 1029M taps, and tracks 7-16 (over an hour long) at 2478M taps.

But back to the demo. Scrounge around your computers... you sure you don't have one that has (or can be upgraded to) 16MB? If so, you can easily gargle-blast a short Redbook track like track 14 (Neige Neige) or track 15 (Blicket auf).

That’s great to hear.

15 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

to dxd 32bit 81M(should be 24bit)

Yes, you should noise shaper to 24-bit for dCS.

15 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

and I am already liking what im hearing with the dCS Rossini(too bad I cannot bypass the filters. Still...).

I was under the impression that the Rossini would bypass the internal filters when presented 24/8FS. Isn’t this effectively what happens if preceded by the dCS Upsampler?

7 minutes ago, muski said:

Hi —

Really enjoying this, but lots of questions!

First, I'm getting static in the right channel when I play back 768kHz content from Roon via HQP. Doesn't happen with 705.6kHz content. Any ideas?  (HQP settings screenshot attached)_

Second, is the only way to launch it on the Mac is from the Terminal? Like this:

/Applications/remastero/PGGB/application/run_PGGB.sh /Applications/MATLAB/MATLAB_Runtime/v99/

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 4.23.45 PM.png

I suspect the culprit is "auto rate family." I don't use the Embedded version, but the equivalent on the Desktop version is "adaptive output rate."

Doesn't it need to be checked? @Zaphod Beeblebrox 

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

Done the range of 176-353-705 rates and 24/32  bit depth in wav with my test track. Puzzles me that I can hear more with Stylus downsampling but details are

better enunciated with 705>176 than they are with native 176. I cache all music to a FEMTO clocked NVME drive + the IRIS uses a FEMTO clock. DAC tested

with was NOS Metrum Octave.... the Mojo internally up-samples PCM to 705/768 which is its own can of worms.

Dave, 

It seems like you're juggling with competing forces here.

• The Mojo is a Chord DAC, and to get the benefit of PGGB, you need to bypass the WTA1 stage - just like we are doing on our DAVEs, TT2s, etc. This requires 16FS PGGB files. You can't really use half measures here. Upsampling to 4FS or 8FS does not get the WTA1 stage out of the way, so the benefit of PGGB, while still possible, is going to be unknown.
  • Yet I sympathize that the Mojo uses suboptimal connectors like micro-USB or 3.5mm coax as the only inputs capable of accepting 16FS. This does impose degradation due to poor cable choice and crappy connectors.
  • And like many chains, a DDC has advantages to allow reclocking, regeneration, so I can see why the Iris was attractive - but only for native rates. For 16FS, you may be better off with a USB regenerator like the tX-USBultra or ISO-Regen. But this does add cost - I get that.

If this were my system, my inclination would be to first go the best route for signal integrity, which is to preserve 16FS end to end:

• NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 32/16FS file > USB A to micro-B > Mojo
  • The manual for the Mojo claims to allow support for 16FS on the 3.5mm coaxial input. The excerpt from the manual is:
    • "1 x 3.5mm COAX SPDIF capable of playing 44.1KHz to 384Khz PCM (768KHz special operation) and DSD64, DSD128 in DoP format"
    • EDIT: the manual appears to be incorrect, as I found a post by Rob that confirms dual-SPDIF mode is not supported on the Mojo.
  • If the above is truly an option, you could try the Audiowise SRC-DX adapter, and do this:
    • NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 24/16FS file > USB > SRC-DX > DBNC to 3.5mm cable > Mojo.
  • The SRC-DX route, which admittedly also adds cost, would also potentially uplift SQ by avoiding the Amanero USB controller.

It just seems like the Iris, with its 4FS limit on the input, is not a great fit with the Mojo/PGGB path.

All that said, these are competing tradeoffs, and the path you're on may well get you to the best compromise possible, given the limitations. At this point, your own experiments are going to be the best way forward, as none of us are using (or would use) PGGB in this way.

I hope you find a good answer.

30 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I hear you... am I correct that a Denafrips Pontus would not support 16FS?

Pontus architecture description

"True balanced 24BIT  R2R +  6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters)"

15 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

According to the specs on their site The Pontus can do up to 32FS via USB

image.thumb.png.cb7d425c5da09e374250cfb4cc9ab2b0.png

But note the following on the Iris specs:

image.png

So you could send 32FS to the Pontus II via a direct USB connection — assuming your player supported 32FS. But if you put an Iris in the path, then you're limited to 16FS.

Also, if you follow the discussions on 32FS DACs in the HQP and Holo May DAC threads, getting 32FS to work over USB can be fussy, and requires specific drivers/firmware. And — because the Pontus II is an R2R DAC, your best results may come when you noise shape the sample depth to somewhere in the 18-24 bit range. Let's assume 20-bit is the sweet spot.

When the time comes, and you have the Pontus II in your hot little hands :), you would want to try these paths and see what sounds better:

• NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 20/32FS file > USB > Pontus II
  • NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 20/16FS file > USB > Iris > I2S > Pontus II.
1 hour ago, happybob said:

I'd like to avoid doing multiple rounds of upsampling my library - so what I might do is to only process the albums with shorter tracks and then wait for those longer ones till I get my new system

As someone who just redid almost 300 albums because I switched from 32-bit to 24-bit files (for using the SRC-DX bridge with my DAVE), redoing the upsampling is not that big a deal. If you wait for a *rumored* machine, you're just depriving yourself. Even at a cap of 256M taps, PGGB makes a massive improvement over the native file!

BTW - during the initial development, I must have redone my albums 4-5 times as ZB made incremental improvements. I did not regret it one iota.

1 hour ago, jeti said:

Could you comment on SRC-DX vs  32-bit USB on Dave? I guess that many people will be interested in this. 

1 minute ago, Progisus said:

Thanks. On a TT2 what is the advantage going dual bnc over usb? Assuming one has the src-dx already. My usb is from an EX.

Please see the section on USB improvements part 2:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1130590

9 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Anyone experiencing 32 fs PGGBs file buffering? My i9-10900, 32 GB PC is directly connected to Terminator+ DAC, and it is buffering like crazy. I am using Audiolinix and HQPe.

Files are stored on internal NVMe.

What are your DAC Bits and Buffer Time settings in HQPe?

Edit: easiest if you paste a screenshot of your HQPe settings.

3 hours ago, sig8 said:

DAC bits 24, buffer; I tried 250 and 0, both cause buffering.

I will defer to the AL experts - I haven't used AL in over 2 years. I do seem to remember Piero enabling some systemwide ALSA config options - not sure if that is even relevant now.

Anyway, your best bet would be to seek advice on the AL thread, mentioning you're trying samples rates of 1411.2/1536 kHz.

Before anyone asks — the rationale is the same on MacOS, but I'm not intimately familiar with how MacOS manages virtual memory. 

I do know that MacOS doesn't rely on preallocated paging files, but dynamically generates one (or more) swapfile's in dynamic response to virtual memory demand. How well this works is to be determined, although I have heard some reports from PGGB beta users that suggested that this dynamic allocation strategy, while more robust and elegant, does seem to be slower. 

This is perhaps not surprising, as the advantage of the preallocated pagefile strategy on Windows, while inelegant, does greedily allocate paging space ahead of time, which may be a run time advantage.

In any case, minor differences in run time are irrelevant if you're using PGGB the way you should — as a batch processor, that you set up and let run to completion in the background.