IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I really would like people to test this themselves! Your perception may be different than mine. Plus, some may be fine with a smidge reduction in SQ for 3x less storage. One size (pun intended!) does not fit all.

I will try today!

if my ears tell me right, I am in any case hearing better sound quality with my MPD playback instead of what you use so even if there is a slight trade off with wavpack it might be less noticeable. just kiddin’ 🤪

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

45 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I will try today!

if my ears tell me right, I am in any case hearing better sound quality with my MPD playback instead of what you use so even if there is a slight trade off with wavpack it might be less noticeable. just kiddin’ 🤪

Yeah, every platform is different, with different trade offs and options. The K50 and Extreme are very different beasts. Curious to know what you hear.

I have found that on a mac the easiest and quickest way to update PGGB to a later version is to rename the existing 'remastero' folder in Applications (I merely add the revision number of the existing version to 'remastero' so I can keep track of past versions). Leave the Matlab folder untouched. Then launch the new version installer. The installation of the new version happens too fast for me to time it. Job done.

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

6 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I will try today!

What are you using as a controller for your MPD? Rigelian is mine.

1 minute ago, mancolh said:

What are you using as a controller for your MPD? Rigelian is mine.

I use Mconnect. I have not been able to get Rigelian to work because it does not support UPnP on my server in the Antipodes (or at least that is what the Rigelian developer had told me).

ATC150 active speakers.

22 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I use Mconnect. I have not been able to get Rigelian to work because it does not support UPnP on my server in the Antipodes (or at least that is what the Rigelian developer had told me).

You must be running a dlna server on your antipodes as mconnect cannot see my library. Audirvana works well also. Unfortunately it means my library is on the Audirvana host and then streamed to the EX. The beauty of MPD on the EX and files on the EX is they never leave the EX when being played. I am going to experiment some more with the HQPlayer embedded on the EX. Audirvana also plays to it.

21 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No PGGB does not, it is nearly impossible to reverse the effect of dynamic range compression. There are ways to improve though and something i may consider in the future.

Or any distortion related caused by the same?? Also can do that? I can't hear Death Magnetic too well, not even from Mastered for iTunes Hi-Res :/

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I’m up & running after the following purchases. 

Home PC to convert files:

- 64gb of memory 

- 4TB M.2 Storage 

- Full PGGB license 

Audio Server:

- Extra 8gb Apacer RAM for audio server running Euphony, enables me to buffer full upsampled albums. 

Started converting my 320gb library, 50% converted in last 24 hours. 

PGGB upsampling on my system is absolutely stunning. I appreciate system dependent. I’m clearly one of the lucky ones. 

I encourage anyone who has not trialled PGGB to go and do so. You might be lucky like me. 

I want to now sit back and cherish the improvements. Then I’ll try the convolution. 

Thanks again to everyone involved! 

Are you experiencing any playback hiccups between your NAS and music server?

4 hours ago, JnL said:

Or any distortion related caused by the same?? Also can do that? I can't hear Death Magnetic too well, not even from Mastered for iTunes Hi-Res :/

There are some (badly mastered) recordings that can benefit, but due to the subjective nature, I cannot make an assertion, it is best to try with tracks you listen to. 

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

On 4/17/2021 at 10:18 PM, bobfa said:

8. I have found that the results with the three Chord DACs I have is rather impressive.

Hi Bob - are you able to write some more about your impressions for each Chord DAC with PGGB?

I’m going to see if I can run PGGB tomorrow to generate some files for my Chord Qutest.  I used to run T+A DAC 8 DSD with HQPlayer.  USB to qutest sounded ok, but it wasn’t until I bypassed USB and went down the spdif/toslink route that the qutest performed better (I’m 100% behind the recommendation for the Opto-DX).  Even red book sounds better than the T+A & HQPlayer on the Qutest once you ditch USB.

Looking forward to see what PGGB brings - I might be back in the upsampling game again!

I am also relatively unique in that I currently have two SOTA PCIe cards to compare the outputs through (JCAT USB XE + Sablon vs Pink Faun Ultra clock Spdif/toslink).

6 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Converted DSD files with PGGB is magical, defies belief.....Been listening to all my DSD rips today... well converted to PCM. 🤪 

It’s really astonishing, isn’t it?  That was the biggest surprise to me.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi guys

Say I want to upscale a 300Mb flac from a cd to 16fs (the max my Dave can ingest)

Would PGGB provide different options for this conversion? say 16M or 16B taps?

If so, roughly what sort of file sizes are we talking about after the conversion?

I had an MScaler with a QuTest for a few weeks and couldn't hear any difference with any of its upscaling levels, so I'm hoping PGGB might work better, if it is practical for me of course.

12 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Hi guys

Say I want to upscale a 300Mb flac from a cd to 16fs (the max my Dave can ingest)

Would PGGB provide different options for this conversion? say 16M or 16B taps?

If so, roughly what sort of file sizes are we talking about after the conversion?

I had an MScaler with a QuTest for a few weeks and couldn't hear any difference with any of its upscaling levels, so I'm hoping PGGB might work better, if it is practical for me of course.

Yes you can choose the maximum number of taps to use for your track, but the number of taps has no bearing on the file size. The output file size is determined by the 16FS output rate and bit depth.

At 16FS 32bit output, you can expect every three minutes of track length to occupy 1Gb of disk space uncompressed. If you use wavpack compression, you can reduce that to about 330Mb for every 3 minutes. FLAC does not support 16FS rates

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN