IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

On 4/18/2021 at 2:49 AM, romaz said:

With real-time upsampling, because of the limitations of hardware, we could only get to 32 million taps initially and with massive time delays (>1 minute).  With offline upsampling, gone are the restraints of hardware and depending on the file and the length of the track, PGGB has provided me new masters with up to 4 billion taps.

Delay is unavoidable by-product of using long filters. If you process single file with 1M tap filter, by definition it needs to become 500k samples longer at both ends. 4 billion tap filter means it needs to become 2 billion samples longer at both ends...

There is no hardware limitation of doing more than 32 million taps in real-time either...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Also, I dare to ask - has anybody compared HQP Pro offline processed files to PGGB ?

Pro has the same algorithms as Desktop and Embedded, so if you process to just PCM, it won't sound any different than processing in realtime, and processing to PCM in realtime is not an issue to any extent. Where it becomes advantage is if you want to run EC modulators to DSD512 or higher.

If you want gapless, you need to process entire album at once, because naturally individual tracks processed alone will become longer depending your choice of filter. Most notable with longer filters like sinc-M or sinc-L. With entire album, only first and last track become longer.

16 minutes ago, austinpop said:

EDIT: In contrast, the DAVE and other Chord DACs have been found to sound best with Output Bit Depth set to 32. We suspect this is related to the Amanero controller used in these DACs, which is why DAVE users are advised to generate 32/16FS files with PGGB. 

With DAVE when you input PCM you always have the remaining digital filters and delta-sigma modulator on the way before D/A conversion section. So you have bunch of DSP ongoing there. If you use USB input, you can provide that DSP 32-bit material to give as high as possible precision for further processing. If you use S/PDIF (coax or optical), or AES/EBU inputs, you are limited to 24-bit due to limitations of the connection method.

This is the same for any delta-sigma DAC with PCM inputs.

If you have R2R ladder in NOS mode, it is totally different, since the samples can actually reach the conversion stage.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

If the 20 bit recommendation was based on measurements with NS9 or LNS15 then could it be different for PGGB?

No, it is based linearity measurement of the DAC. And linearisation performance has been verified with my noise shapers designed for that particular purpose.

I don't know if the noise shaper in PGGB can linearise the DAC with any setting, it depends on how it has been designed. That would need to be measured from the DAC output.

Without such linearisation, for example with 24-bit TPDF dithered input, you have quite a bit of distortion on low level signals because the R2R ladder is not accurate enough.

24 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Using lesser bits leads to more quantization error, so when recommending 19 bits or 20 bits for a 24 bit DAC, what is happening is the last 4 or 5 bits are zeroed out and not being used to avoid any distortions they may introduce.

Even with 16-bit input (which you can do for example from macOS at 1.5M), with suitable noise-shaper the noise floor is flat to >100 kHz. So from 100 kHz bandwidth analog measurement you wouldn't be able to tell if the input is 20 or 16-bit because analog noise dominates.

Just now, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Agreed, PGGB can noise shape to 12bits. 

OK, I support anything from 8 to 32 bits output. But where the analog noise floor boundary is crossed depends on combination of DAC and particular noise shaper. Best way to figure out is to measure.

36 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Currently, I am using HQPe to feed upsampled PCM to my HOLO May DAC and am using digital volume control since I have no preamp in the chain.  My question is, have any of you experienced a noticeable degradation in sound quality using PGGB with digital volume control vs a preamp volume control? 

Noise-shaping needs to be the last thing before output. So if you use HQPlayer volume, you need to have noise-shaping at HQPlayer side and you are better off doing 64-bit float output from PGGB.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dmance said:

In 2019 I prodded Jussi L. to push the envelope with his HQPlayer PCM filters and noise shapers to meet or exceed MScaler sound quality. His 2M tap Sinc-L filter and 15th order LNS15 noise shaper then became my reference for up-sampling.

You are anyway better off with poly-sinc-ext2, sinc-S or sinc-M... Because sinc-L is non-apodizing. Note that sinc-M and sinc-L are totally different kind of filters, with nothing in common. Difference in number of taps between sinc-M and sinc-L is irrelevant detail.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, austinpop said:

I was under the impression that the Rossini would bypass the internal filters when presented 24/8FS. Isn’t this effectively what happens if preceded by the dCS Upsampler?

It is very unfortunate if such expensive devices cannot run digital filters higher than 8fs, because they anyway need much higher sample rate for the modulator. Which would likely mean they do same as most DAC chips, meaning ~16x - 32x oversampling using sample-and-hold (IOW, just repeating the same sample N times).

I know Chord runs simple IIR and then linear interpolation after WTA1 stage. They still don't have enough processing power...

With HQPlayer I of course run full proper digital filters up to the final modulator rate, typically 256fs - 1024fs these days.

8 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Assuming  the same DAC being incapable of sounding as good or better with PCM.

So far all delta-sigma DACs on the market I've seen make shortcuts for PCM processing.

DSD is only way to run proper digital filters up to modulator rate and also work around on-chip modulator deficiencies.

8 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Also assuming  said DAC is a single bit delta sigma DAC and not a multi-bit delta-sigma DAC  or has a pure single bit delta sigma mode that sounds superior to other modes that may be available on the same DAC.

No, multi-bit delta-sigma doesn't make it any better than single-bit. Best example are DACs with TI's chips that work absolutely best in DSD mode. Same goes for recent AKM chips that have DSD Direct mode.

Also DACs like Chord Mojo have so inadequate multi-bit modulator, that they would benefit from direct DSD conversion if they would have such. It is just that their DSD-to-PCM conversion is even more inadequate than their PCM processing. So you are stuck to just playing with digital filters but no way of getting around the modulator.

Even with ESS Sabre you can get around deficiencies of the PCM side by using DSD inputs even though it doesn't have direct mode. The DSP just gets so much simplified for DSD inputs.

4 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

It depends on the DAC implementation

It is pretty easy in a way that there are only few DAC chip architectures. I have measured quite a bunch and continue doing so.

the quality of DSD or PCM upsampling

Certainly...

listening preference and playback chain

I have objective approach, so listening preferences don't affect this.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I used a different software to remaster some CDs with 134 million tabs. This high number cannot be achieved with real-time processing.

Why not? Whether it makes sense is another question... The delay just becomes annoyingly high, because you have 67 million sample lead-in and lead-out. Unless you run at DSD1024 rate where it is then just a bit over one second.

18 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Real time processing with 134million taps and more is easily possible, I have benchmarked PGGB-RT SDK with up to 1B taps in Realtime. Though for most streamed audio 256M taps will be plenty and if done right, after a few seconds of startup delay (5-15 seconds), gapless playback is possible too. I was able to do this on my Mac M1 pro.

By definition your startup delay (lead-in) is half of the filter length if the filter is linear phase. Otherwise you are truncating your transient/step-response.

1B taps at 768 kHz means having 651.4 seconds lead-in delay. And 256M taps is 166.67 seconds lead-in delay.

Try with a 44.1 kHz track that has dirac pulse, or square step, as second sample and another one at the sample before the last one. First and last sample being 0. Then look at resulting time and frequency domain responses. If your filter pre-ringing is truncated, you are truncating your transient responses.

For example try this file: https://www.signalyst.eu/test/dirac2.wav

21 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

If you are referring to not throwing away and keeping the first 1/2 filter length worth of samples (after convolution) and just treat the successive tracks as one continuous stream, I do not like that approach either and I had already explained why in an earlier discussion. This would result in using samples form disjoint points in time and is not optimal either. I prefer to process one full track at a time, just the way PGGB desktop does.

That is what should happen if you process one track at the time. It should become half filter length longer at the beginning and end. Otherwise you are truncating transients that happen before and after half filter length to the track.

If you process entire album at once, then only beginning of first track is half filter length longer and end of last track is half filter length longer. But then you need to accept that transient response gets broken for half filter length if you seek, or begin playing anywhere else than beginning of the first track.

For typical filters this time window would be only couple of milliseconds.

17 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

If you process the whole album as one then you are assuming all the tracks are truly continuous in time which is rarely true and we don't even know if it is an album or a playlist with unrelated material.

One reason why HQPlayer makes a difference between album and playlist. Most albums are gapless these days. If you are reading a CD you can actually know if it's a case or not. But I have only very few CDs where it is not the case.

19 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Then you would have to accept that you are reconstructing your new samples borrowing samples from unrelated material when you are near the end of a track or beginning of the next one, that could not be possibly good either.

This is what MScaler does too, since it cannot know where a track boundary is. Or where someone seeked or skipped a track unless sampling rate changes. This is advantage of player applications since they can have this information.

21 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I have tried both approaches, and settled on processing on a per track basis based on both subjective listening tests and a over all better user experience.

Yeah, then the trade-off is that you need to make the track filter length amount of longer than it originally was to avoid truncating transients near beginning and end. Longer the filter, longer that goes.

22 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

This thread wont exists if everyone is happy to just settle for  'typical' filter 😏

Yes, for me, the interesting thing is to have as few taps as possible to minimize amount of ringing and transient spread and still have optimal frequency domain behavior too without leakages. IOW, optimize both time and frequency domain at the same time, although the have 1/x relationship.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

letting SRC-DX truncate 32bit to 24bit will till be OK

Truncation generates distortion, how can that be OK? You always need to dither or noise shape to avoid generating distortion, no matter if the output is 24-bit, 32-bit or something else.

3 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Thanks for chiming in (again). You have quoted me completely out of context. Of course truncation is never a good idea (duh!)

Some context:  I was addressing a very specific question where he wanted to know pros and cons of using  24bit vs 32bit (with noise shaping/dithering turned off) going into SRC-DX, and yes he is aware that this is not ideal. In this case, allowing SRC-DX to truncate 32 bit to 24bit  will be OK (SRC-DX is USB  to dual  BNC converter and outputs 24bits, it does no other processing or dithering). He also wanted to use the same files with Roon (and the additional resolution of 32bit files will be helpful for downsampling)

Yes, I understand this, but in my opinion it is not OK to let SRC-DX truncate 32-bit to 24-bit, as it will add distortion. This was the reason why I commented on the topic.

For that purpose, there should be two sets of files, one dithered to 24-bit and another dithered to 32-bit (for Roon).

3 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Some more context:  His SRC-DX feeds into the dual BNC input of Mscaler. Mscaler does not have a true pass through mode and it applies -3dB gain and noise shapes any input it receives, and most have found using noise shaped signal adds harshness due to the additional noise shaping it does. This is the reason he had to turn of noise shaping in PGGB.

PGGB automatically dithers or noise shapes based on output samplerate. Turning it off applies neither dithering or noise shaping as the output is designed for bit-perfect playback into the DAC. But in use cases such as this, it would be good to have an option to just apply dither to aid further processing. I do plan to add an option to add dither without any noise shaping in the next release to address a few unusual use cases. If this option existed, I would have recommended using 24bit dithered output.

That was my point, output should be at least TPDF dithered, regardless of output resolution. Be it 24-bit or 32-bit, if noise shaping is not applied.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...