IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

Would be interested in trying PGGB but I don't currently own a suitable PC to run it as I use low powered audiolinux server & endpoint with Mscaler & DAVE. I am hesitant to purchase a new high powered PC just for this purpose as I may not find the results to my liking.

Are there any test files for processed audio?

Dear Nick,

That's really kind and as a member of the WAVE Storm fraternity, I will be pleased to take you up on this for a couple of tracks.

From what I have learned, it seems as though some older Red Book recordings might be the ones to try. I suppose, things that have seemed much improved with MScaler (although I haven't done much testing with and without because the early impression was so beneficial - I'm amazed at some of the comments on HeadFi).

I'm mainly a classical listener so the sort of things I wondered about are

Vaughan Williams Tallis fantasia, Silvestri version

Ending of Mahler 8, Solti CSO

I also found that in some cases of Cochereau and Dupre organ recordings, these were transformed from something painful to an enjoyable experience by DAVE/ MScaler.

Conscious of the fact that with a test of this sort, one may not readily hit on a revelatory example, I don't know whether anyone

would comment on whether these are sensible!

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

In an earlier post, Rajiv @austinpop, you mentioned that 256GB RAM might be beneficial for PGGB. As most PC's are not upgradable beyond 128GB, is it possible to hint what 256GB might be needed for (is it just very long tracks?) Could @Zaphod Beeblebrox perhaps also comment on whether any future developments of PGGB are likely to further increase the RAM requirements above 128GB.

If one is purchasing a new PC largely for the purpose of PGGB activity, it would be particularly frustrating to find in due course that the chosen machine was actually inadequate because the RAM could not be expanded sufficiently. In addition, machines suitable for more than 128GB RAM are generally in a significantly higher price bracket.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Did you do the processing in 64, 128 or 256bit precision? What was it that you liked about dither vs the noise shaped version?

All this was done with 256 bit processing and I found that, in particular, choral and piano renderings sounded more tonally natural/ realistic with dither only. With noise shaping, I had a feeling that something had been shaved from the sound. With extended noise shaping, this was yet more marked.

There may well be more to learn from further comparisons as @austinpopsuggests and I have so far worked on only a small fraction of my library but of course experiments comparing the range of options are quite time consuming with some discs taking up to 24 hours to process even with this 8 core i7 device and 64gb RAM.