IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Progisus said:

I hooked my SRC-DX to my H2 and sent my 32bit files to it. Everything reported 32 bits and sounded excellent. Is there a 32b to 24b coax conversion in the DX? Should I be hearing a sound degradation by not using 24b pggb files?

Chord DACs are 24 bits internal. So even a 32bit USB setting will waste 8 bits. Of course DX is just dual SPDIF which is 24 bit in the signal. As mentioned by others, set PGGB to output 24 bits for best sq to Chord DACs

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, hanshopf said:

Hello everyone,

I would like to add something to my recent suggestion for a proof of concept experiment for PGGB.

Thanks to the new cloud based option of upsampling files with PGGB, I today had the opportunity to try it out for myself. I played the upsampled files through Audirvana and sent them directly to DAVE. The original reference files for comparison were as well played through Audirvana and sent to MScaler. 

I am a trained listener, recording concerts with classical music on a regular base myself (not as a sound engineer but as a video director), but still did not expect to make out a clear difference because I am not able to reliably discern things as subtle as some in this forum seem able to.

That said, I was stunned how obvious the difference between Mscaler and PGGB was. First I perceived a greater depth in soundstage and air between the instruments. But later I very clearly heared the PGGB sound as being brighter and sharper than with MScaler. Trumpets, Violins and soprano voices had an artificial bright touch. After my initial enthusiasm I therefore clearly find Mscaler sounding more natural or, if you like, neutral.

Is PGGB then maybe acting like some kind of presence filter, giving the illusion of more space and air?

The only way to find out what is going on, I guess, would be the kind of proof on concept I recently suggested: comparing an analogue mastertape with a digitized file through MScaler as well as PGGB. One of these two should sound more similar to the analogue tape. My bet would be MScaler, even though I can see that there's potential for improvement. 

When doing an apples/apples comparison its important to ensure the galvanic signal path and inputs for both is the same.  You could try repeating this test by sending the PGGB file thru MScaler (it will go into bypass if the input sample rate is 16fs) and DBNC into Dave.  Then do the normal MScaler upsample to 16fs and DBNC into Dave.  In both cases make sure any USB cable is removed from Dave (as well as any other coax inputs you may have). 

• 9 months later...

@seeteeyou @Zaphod BeeblebroxWAV is uncompressed. If you are referring to WAVPACK, PGGB-IT! uses the FFMPEG internal code base, not the wavpack libs. So files are exact lossless but the bitstream is slightly different.  FYI, this is also the case with FLAC. If your sequence is PGGB-IT! -to- WAV -to- FLAC (via XIPH exe) and compare to PGGB-IT! -to- FLAC (direct), the files will be different but the contents are lossless.

• 4 months later...

Regarding DSD over DOP via SRC-DX. SRC-DX was only specified to support DOP DSD128 ...as this is a single SPDIF stream and the DOP mechanism is defined.  The CT7601 chip used does have the internal DOP support up to DSD256  but the AES dual-date-date mode to support DBNC does not define DoP.  If it does work ...its ad-hoc and fortunate. I need to ask a SRC-DX/Chord DAVE owner to try this out. *thanks*