IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

I can say 100% that Roy, Rajiv, and I have had zero compensation, and have zero financial interest of any kind in this project (for example, we all paid full price for our licenses).   I appreciate the sensitivities behind the question though.  I do not consider myself an ambassador, but more of a delighted early adopter and user.  Anything I post is representing me and my personal opinions, and not PGGB or any other vendor.  I am happy to share my experiences though.

As to the other questions @Zaphod Beeblebrox is on AS, so he's best to answer the other questions, but I believe the licensing scheme uses internet access (I'm not aware of any other use of internet access...ZB can verify)  

I know ZB is a strong advocate of trial licenses (he supported them during the private beta) so as the product formally launches, I'm pretty sure he will continue to do so.  Note that PGGB requires significant amounts of memory to run, so most folks don't have suitable hardware easily available to them.  Most PGGB users have been happy to help process sample tracks for folks.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

13 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

@ray-dude, @romaz and @austinpop here I thought you guys were just kicking back and enjoying your Extremes.  Great to hear you're continuing to explore new improvements.  Thanks for all your efforts, and of course thanks to Zaphod.  I'm looking forward to hearing how this impacts the music.  I'll be checking this out with the Hugo TT2 and Omegas as well as with the new Holo May in my main listening environment.  I know you guys are huge DAVE fans, but if you ever get the chance to listen to the May, I'd love to know what you think.  I'm very impressed so far and it's just breaking in.

I now have the PGGP trial and have made a bunch of files for comparison of your different "preferences".  I had been enjoying real time upsampling with HQP's sinc-L filter and LNS15 shaper.

Between TT2+ Omegas at 16fs/32bit and the May at 32fs, that will be quite the shoot out!  Can't wait to hear what you hear!

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, before the Mac version was available, I was running PGGB in the free (for home use) version of VMware on my Mac Pro.  Worked like a charm.  That being said, I'm happy to be rid of Windows and running it natively on OS X now.

On USB input for Chord DAVE, 32 bit was the winner for me. With SRC-DX, 24 bit is the clear winner (and a big step up over USB direct…thanks Dan!).  That being said, all bit depths are pretty awesome, tweaking but depth is more about icing on the cake. 

So much about PGGB is about finding the right synergy with your DAC. The good news for me has been differences have been very easy to hear, so dialing in has been a pretty quick exercise. 

I have same issue on 2012 Mac Pro with 128GB (Intel) when processing some large DSD files.  The crash is the watchdog giving up the ghost.  I suspect the system is asking for swap but not getting it fast enough, so the watchdog barks.

If there was preallocated swap (like there is on Windows), we wouldn't be having this issue.

I do not have this issue when running Windows in VMware on the same Mac.  I preallocate the swapfile in windows, and Bob's your uncle

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

The choice of 20 bits is based on linearity measurements that have been published. With R2R DACs, resistors need to be precisely matched and doing so to retain 24 bits of accuracy is close to impossible currently. Resistor variation would cause the DAC output to not be linear in the last few bits, this would in turn result in distortion. Zeroing out the last few bits would help but it will in turn result in increased quantization noise because fewer bits (20 instead of 24 bits) are used to represent the signal. This is where noise shaping comes in. Using a well designed noise shaper, even when only 20 bits are used,  quantization noise can be almost removed from the audible range by taking advantage of the 16FS or higher sampling rate. Zeroing out the last bits and noise shaping not only linearizes the DAC to 20 bits, but also effectively increases the dynamic range by reducing the noise floor further.

Even with DAVE, one of the main reasons why  going 24 bits via SRC-DX  is  still effective even though only 24bits are used instead of 32, is because noise shaping is used. Even Mscaler noise shapes to 24 bits and it is not in pass through if the input is 32 bits.

Fantastic post and summary.  The magic of PGGB is all these factors coming together, and control being externalized from your DAC so you can optimize digital processing in software to get the absolute most out of the actual digital to analog conversion stage of your DAC.  

Each DAC will have its own optimal recipe, and some will be easier to bypass their internal digital processing than others.  Hopefully over time we'll see some world class DACs that are designed from the get go to externalize all their digital processing (for example, I'd love to hear PGGB content directly feeding a Chord-like pulse element array digital to analog conversion stage to a cost no object discrete analog output stage)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We did a lot of this math at the very beginning of PGGB (before it was called PGGB).  Very hard to make it work.

Only idea we came up with is find a buddy with symmetric fiber to the home and unlimited data and no throttling, and put a shared server in their closet (says the guy with symmetric fiber to his house and a server in his closet)

• 5 months later...

Since things are heating up again, a reminder to keep things civil, and an ask (as OP) to keep discussions focused on listening impressions, and technical context that may be helpful in understanding listening impressions.

There is a lot of value in debating different digital processing strategies for audio, but an impressions thread for PGGB is not the best place for that. 

EDIT (oops, ZB replied before I hit POST)

Yes, file size is the same regardless of the precision of processing.  File size is set by the target high res frequency (amount of over sampling) and bit depth.  For each DAC, there is an optimum setting for these.

The precision used for the math impacts the accuracy of the upsampling and degree of noise shaping that is achievable.  Most definitely you should compare 64 vs 128 vs 256 bit precision processing and see what you hear in your chain.

Generally speaking, if the trial mode of PGGB doesn't let you do the tests you're keen on doing, most PGGB users are happy to process some test tracks for folks.  Find the PGGB settings that are working best for you using the trial version, and ask here or in PM and a bunch of folks would be happy to process your test tracks for you at different precision using your preferred settings.

That being said, the trial mode of PGGB is pretty permissive

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These are great questions, and ones that there has been a lot of head scratching over.  

The short answer is that there seems to be no harm in using the whole track (quite the contrary, during group listening tests there was strong consensus that more is better).  There is a question about whether combine helps at all.  The only way to really get a sense for individual recordings is to try and see (or hear) if there is a difference.  

As ZB said, there has been consistent benefit to using more and more of the tracks.  I will echo the need to go USB direct to DAVE if you're comparing to mScaler (and adjust DAVE volume 3 clicks down).

At the end of the day, what matters is what sounds better for you.  There is no right or wrong when it comes to preferences 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The challenge is usually related to how they buffer or stream the next file while the current one is playing.  If the files get too big (whether 16fs or DSD256), things can get glitchy.  As soon as you layer in what the player has to do to support music seeking (jumping forward or back in a track that is playing), and things get complicated again with very large files.

If the player is reading and playing the file from disk (playing music as it is reading the file vs, say, loading the whole file into memory then playing), then gapless is much more robust.  I have yet to hear Roon or HQP stumble on this stuff (as Rajiv said, solid)

• 7 months later...

Folks, as OP, I think we're into non-productive territory here.  There is a PGGB vs HQP thread if you want to compare and contrast the different design approaches and intent, but these have been covered multiple times here.  

There are differences in approach and design philosophies, and that's OK.  Both PGGB and HQP very generously offer free trials so folks can come to their own conclusions about what works best for their ears and preferences.