IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

• 4 months later...

@Zaphod Beeblebrox, cool the component for foobar is available, can't recall many people running Foobar2000, perhaps in 2009, but haven't listened to it since. Looking through the notes on PGGB-RT, mentions that it can't decode DSD on the fly, the offline version is better for that, that's fine, but playback is then only PCM, that's kind of sad.

Today I listened to Marian McPartland "Silent Pool". There's two versions in the library, a 88.2 PCM from HD Tracks and the SACD as an iso ripped to 2.8 DSF. The PCM was OK to listen to was kind of tired the first few tracks, the DSF on the other hand was real piano wide space, a real pleasure to listen to and stayed with the album all the way through. If PCCB can only play PCM at high rates, then whatever conversion from DSD, won't there be losses and not sound the same?  If the Pros can't get it right, won't extra processing cause the same drama? Surely if the original track is garbage, even with sopper dooper processing it could never sound better, GIGO concept surely.

You say, high PCM rates are better for the DAC, and that all processing should be completed by the PC with PGGB, with millions of taps and it all sounds good, but I have trouble with this concept, since the DAC is quite capable of high rates, as well as plain ol redbook and DSD. The true mark of a good DAC is how it converts redbook, some DACs are good others not so. By upsampling to stratospheric rates, that intense processing can't be heard?  

Getting back to the -RT version, I see a panel where there are adjustments for filtering, transparency and so on. Very much like HQPlayer's filters, they are to me, meaningless numbers to learn. Does one set of numbers only to apply to classical, or jazz, or 70's bad bass EQ? What if (example) a setting is 4.3, and while listening should it be 4.7, or to agonise over another type of filter or number? This to me is not listening, but tinkering, and endless dissatisfaction and distraction. 

I must admit I haven't followed the thread that closely on how file sizes can come down, but on the fly processing is a good start, but worry about the startup time. This is a trap, like most software, it's prone to fall over if the play button does nothing audibly for 10 (?) seconds, is this a fail or just processing. More tinkering to find out why, just play the song!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA