IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

foobar2000 for wavpack with PCM content. HQPlayer for both PCM and DSD content.

Do you have a special reason not to convert to FLAC?

EDIT: JRiver with added plugin for both PCM and DSD too.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
6 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

Can you post the link of where can we download the JRiver plugin?

from https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WavPack:

Since MC 14.0.61, a WavPack plugin has been included with the program.

WavPack plug-ins for old versions are available from the mcplugins SourceForge page (both MC11 and MC12). Version 1 of the encoder and input plug-ins is for MC11, and version 2 is for MC12.

I am not using it with JRiver, I only found that it is supported.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
  • 2 months later...
18 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

Please stop the pissing contest.

I found this discussion interesting. I learned a bit again. There are not many places where you can read about these topics in easier language than heavy math.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

It gets processed by 8x FIR, except when input is 352.8k or higher. Then the same sample is copied 8 times and this is fed through 3rd order IIR before before copied again 8 times and entering the modulator which produces 1-bit stream.

Hi Miska, I found it a bit confusing. That does not look to me like 8x8 but 8x8x8 starting at 44.1k:
44.1k --8xFIR--> 352.8k --8xZOH&3rdIIR--> 2.8M --8xZOH--> 22.8M

but then you wrote

8x8=64, so when you start from 44.1k the PCM rate matches that of DSD64

But then it is 8x8 and not 8x8x8

Somewhere I didn't understand you well. Could you please correct me?

I have yet few questions.

In the past you wrote that ESS doesn't do pure ZOH but something better like linear interpolation. Is that realized in the mentioned 3rd order IIR?

Is what you just described valid for both older ESS chips and the newest ones?

I am a bit curious about DSD processing:

DSD goes through the 3rd order IIR without any rate conversion and then goes through the modulator to the conversion.

ESS chip is able of 3rd order IIR on DSD rates but it is not able to that with PCM content on the same PCM rates (after the last 8x) ... Do you have a simple explanation? Why is it easier with DSD?

39 minutes ago, Miska said:

As I referenced earlier, they run IIR to both PCM and DSD at same rate. For PCM it operates at 8x8 rate which is equivalent of the corresponding DSD rate. "1x PCM 8x8" == "1x DSD (DSD64)", "2x PCM 8x8" == "2x DSD (DSD128)", etc. Upper limits depend on the chip model.

For PCM, IIR is yet followed by 8xZOH before entering the modulator.
For DSD content, when IIR is applied (there probably also volume control is implemented), is that yet followed by 8xZOH?