IGNORED

I published music on Tidal to test MQA - MQA Deep Dive

49 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I belong to a number of sites and read a number of sites. I find useful information on many sites. Sometimes you have to pick through the loads of manure to find the seed.

I used to go to ASR to read the tests. However, Amir's fanatical defense and ridiculous posts in regards to MQA make me wonder what other biases Amir has. I no longer have any faith in what Amir posts on his site. Therefore ASR is all but useless to me.

I belong to a number of sites and read a number of sites. I find useful information on many sites. Sometimes you have to pick through the loads of manure to find the seed.

I used to come to Audiophile Style, when it was Computer Audiophile, to read the posts. However, Chris's understandable and defensible desire to grow his site resulted in a business decision wherein he politely suggested that many of the objectivists who came to the site for its excellent MQA coverage should post in a newly created special section and if that was not to their liking they might want to take their anti-cable and general anti-woo orientation elsewhere. Therefore Audiophile Style is less useful to me than it was when it welcomed me with open arms.

It is true that, notwithstanding the request to leave the site -- for oldsters, this sounds like what Felix's wife told him during the title sequence on the old "The Odd Couple" TV series, adding that he must never return, an edict I have obviously violated! -- Chris seems to be a friendly person who is invariably polite (i.e, he has a high boiling point before he can't take it anymore! ). 

OTOH, over at another site, a guy named Amir can on occasion be dismissive, abrupt, and arrogant. Is it shocking to anyone that an ex-Microsoft vice president behaves like this? Personally, I suspect Amir is MUCH better behaved at ASR than he was at MS.

SO NOW I WILL lose the ironic distance and get to my point: The online audiophile world is not as black and white as I and probably many others thought it was. A site can have bad points and good points. Indeed, all the popular audio sites have both pluses and minuses at the same time

Sure, I felt hurt that Chris kicked us out, but now a year later my position is that I can't take away that Chris has the first, most comprehensive and still best MQA thread, and an honest passion for audio that comes from the user (as opposed to vendor) side, which is rare for a site that takes ads. I guess I mean to say that Chris seems to have successfully threaded the very tiny needle in terms being supported by ads while still serving readers.

It is CLEAR that he does this better than legacy vehicles like Stereophile and TAS. He's also light years ahead of Darko and Guttenberg, who basically provide what's called advertorial content.

By the same token, Amir has successfully tapped into a market opening for measurements. BTW, I personally believe that it was Archimago who ramped up interest in deep dive measurements (this era's answer to the Julian Hirsch measurement of yore) with the pioneering content he has written since 2012.

Anyway, I don't have anything prescriptive to add; it just seems like we've entered an era where no single site can serve all the different audiophile factions, so maybe it's Rodney King time and we all need to learn to get along a little better...