IGNORED

Article: Cloud Music Library Backup

Nice article!

I find using the "sync storage services", without actually "synching" to be a good option for those who have relatively small music libraries (full upload < 1 day) with files that are not constantly being changed (i.e. tags modified). The obvious drawback is that you need to remember to manually add your new files/changed files regularly, the advantage is that you don't risk accidentally replicating file deletions in both your local storage and cloud storage (as you pointed out). For "smallish" libraries, you could regularly do a full backup. For large libraries, especially when files are frequently updated, this options is probably not workable. You can also deactivate "synching" and reactivate it when needed.

These types of issues, by the way, highlight the fundamental disadvantage of having music metadata managed within music files (as tags) - but that's an entirely different topic :)

Just now, Dan Gravell said:

You have to be careful with that though. If you don't automate this there's a good chance you'll forget, or something else will get in the way. Humans are best at creativity, not routine - we get easily bored - "I'll just skip it this month, it'll be fine". I know, I know, some of us are better than others but...

Put another way, it depends on the value of the library.

Absolutely - and I just started an other full upload after reading your article !