IGNORED

Article: Cloud Music Library Backup

“...some services have been known to wipe tags from music files.”

Wait, what?

I’m well past the point I should have implemented some rigorous backup process. Swapping hard drives with my brother is one thing, but I’m better at accumulating things than organizing them. Metadata is just one part of the headache. I need revision control. I may have a half dozen versions of, say, an LP dub. Raw, clicks & noise repaired, an archival version and maybe one with a little EQ for general listening. Some random category that applies only to those files, perhaps. I may or may not want to keep all the intermediate versions. Keeping track via tags is difficult enough without something deleting them!

Yet I am not really surprised. Having just skimmed this article, I’ll dive in further soon. Thanks!

@Dan Gravell: I was peripherally aware of the Apple “Match” hijinx, but not how convoluted. Hideous! Never considered YouTube because yuck. 

Bliss looks interesting, but I’m a notorious cheapskate. Historically, though, if I find something I really like, and can squeeze into the budget, who knows? Certainly some interesting info in that blog, thanks!

@agladstone: I have looked at Google Drive. Might be my best solution. They already know what I’m doing before I do. Or maybe Dropbox; I’ve used the free allotments for file transfer with no problem, except once someone invited me to share their space, only to find they put me on their employer’s corporate server, which then declared they owned my data before I even uploaded any... that didn’t last long. 

Meanwhile Windows networking somehow decided my Ethernet crossover cable is a public network, and blocked “rover” from “mothership” but not the other way round. Argh!!

Thanks for the replies!