IGNORED

Denafrips Pontus II vs Chord Qutest impressions (as well as the Denafrips Ares II)

1 hour ago, ecwl said:

I just noticed @Calvin & Hobbes and @OldBigEars both use Cat 8 Ethernet Cables which I believe are shielded. At least with my experience from Chord DACs, the Cat 8 shielding (or any shielded Ethernet cables) tends to leak RF noise into the Chord DACs and affect its performance. I think this phenomenon affects other DACs too but can sometimes make dull sounding DACs more exciting.

I've got an AmazonBasics Cat 6 cable on hand. I'll switch out the Supra Cat 8 cable for the AmazonBasics Cat 6 cable into the Qutest DAC today and report back on what I hear.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, DeathFugue said:

Have you tried either a Mac laptop or Windows-based laptop with the Pontus? If so, do both work properly? I had a Qutest, which sounded great with my MacBook Pro, but PCM 192k or any DSD files were terribly garbled/distorted with my HP Laptop. I ended up returning the Qutest. (By the way, Chord send me a newer Windows driver, but it wasn't any better. I also tried both JRiver and Audirvana on the HP--no joy.)

No, just a streamer.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

@Calvin & Hobbes The one thing I've observed comparing a Mojo to the Ares II is that the Ares II can be a bit of a Pollyanna... it doesn't do nasty well whereas the Mojo can.

I'm curious whether the same difference is true between Qutest and Pontus? Some example test tracks below

Man of La Mancha (2002 broadway cast) Track 3 "Its all the same"

The Lion King Legacy Collection (original with Jeremy Irons) Track 8 "Be Prepared"

Both should drip with sarcasm/contempt in the voice of the lead singer

I was unable to find the Man of La Mancha album via streaming, but Jeremy Irons sounds positively evil via the Pontus. I don't have the Qutest anymore so I can't provide a comparison via the Qutest. An analogy I can provide is that Jimi Hendrix sounds amazing via the Pontus with an appropriate amount of edge to the sound of his guitar.

The Ares sounds both harsher but also less impactful in sound than the Pontus. 

4 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

@Calvin & Hobbesdid you ever try your Qutest with a good optical feed?  I switched over from USB a few weeks ago, with a cheap Chinese converter no less, and the improvement in SQ has been game-changing in my system.  I hate to say it, but from my experience in my system all tests/comparisons of Qutest are off unless we're talking about using it this way. 

@OldBigEars In what ways did the optical feed change the SQ of your Qutest? I did not try the Qutest with an optical feed.

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, OldBigEars said:

Depends on one's definition of 'truly high end'.  I just upgraded from an iPower X to an SBooster / Ultra 11 and the improvement is stark.  No doubt you could take it further with a more exotic PS.  Someone here mentioned that the Qutest + Sean Jacobs' PS is quite special.  My advice is to avoid using the USB, and also upgrade the PS at least to SBooster level.  But keeping the total cost in mind, the Qutest with these upgrades would need to rival the Denafrips Venus, rather than the Pontus.

I've run the Qutest with a battery though not a truly high end linear power supply. I think the main difference that I heard between the Pontus and the Qutest is the nature of the sound. The Denafrips DACs sound more organic in nature while the Qutest has a more artificially Technicolor type of presentation. My guess is that a better power supply would not change that aspect of sound quality for the Qutest.

• 10 months later...

I really like the Pro-ject streamer. Sound quality seems quite good. It's probably not as easy to use from an ergonomic standpoint as the Bluesound Node (which I have never used), but my understanding is the sound quality is better. The Volumio software is decent. It's not as slick as Roon, but works decently well (especially compared to some proprietary software that I've tried). Sound quality via Volumio seems pretty good. (The newer versions of Roon are said to have a negative impact on sound quality).

Another streamer to consider is the Volumio Rivo, which also sounds quite nice.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:09 PM, vsrrr said:

Great to hear the positive experience you’ve had with the Pontus II and Pro-Ject Streamer. 

I’m currently using an iFi streamer with the Pontus II and am also very happy.

Curious, are you running a USB or Coax from your steamer to DAC? And anything like a DDC in-between? (I’m using an Acoustic Zen coax with great results, but am curious to try USB if only I could decide on a gif USB cable!) 

And have you done much experimenting with NOS/OS Fast/Slow? (I’m using NOS/Slow)

ps. I haven’t found any SQ issues with newer versions of Roon. Just need to get the settings right.

pps. I’ve heard from other Pontus II owners that they’ve gotten a decent boost in performance when using the XLR outputs, fwiw.

I'm using USB. The Pro-ject only has a USB output. If I were to try anything else, it would be the I2S inputs using a DDC between the streamer and DAC.

Mostly I use OS Slow. I think there are not Fast & Slow filters for the NOS mode.

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Would you care to elaborate about the comparison Pontus vs Yggy?

Thx

Matt

My friend's comments are probably more insightful since he spent more time listening to both the Pontus and the Yggy in his system:

• The Pontus communicates more tonal color.  The Pontus is better at presenting all parts of the music with balance. The Pontus also presents with more reverb.
  • The Yggy is more emphatic in how it conveys pace. The Pontus seems more realistic in its pace.
  • The Pontus sounds more relaxed and laid back in its presentation, but has a greater range than the Yggy in being able to convey more or less pace or vary its presentation in line with the emotional intensity of the music being played
He listens to more rock music than I do and pace/rhythm are particularly important to him. His choice was the Yggy as it better suited those factors. I feel that the Pontus is also good as conveying pace/rhythm, but does so in a more subtle, natural-sounding way.

I tend to listen to music with a lot of vocals and acoustic instruments. For that type of music, I feel that the Pontus is a better fit.

To my ears, both DACs sound good so the difference is a matter of degrees.