Jump to content
  • 0
IGNORED

Marantz NR1200 + MQA Pass Through from External MQA DAC


Question

Hi all, new here and have checked lots of previous posts but haven’t quite found the answer.

 

I’ve downsized from a 7.1 home theatre room due to a house move. I’m also looking to now rationalise my gear and given the volume of streaming I now do wanting to concentrate my attention on my music, stereo specifically.

 

I’ve just purchased a Cambridge CXN V2 streamer which my Roon account runs through. I have Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions and currently enjoy both, happy to stay subscribed to both for the moment.

 

I have the Cambridge feeding a Marantz SR7005 via analogue currently and then a pair of Orpheus Apollo speakers.

 

I also run an Apple TV and a Pioneer Kuro plasma tv via HDMI from the Marantz.

 

I’m wanting to add a Cambridge Dacmagic 200M between the CXN and the receiver as I want MQA at least available. 
 

I believe though that if the MQA unfolds are completed in the DACMAGIC and then fed to the receiver that the internal DAC will essentially undo the unfold negating the Dacmagics conversion. I believe I could use the 7.1 input directly to bypass the Marantz DAC though.

 

I’m also considering purchasing the Marantz NR1200 which would still give me the functionality for the HDMI outputs I need for the tv.

 

If I ran the following setup would the NR1200’s internal DACs also undo the MQA conversion?

 

CXN V2 via coaxial > Dacmagic 200M > Marantz NR1200 analogue inputs > Orpheus Apollo’s

 

If so I’m better off just keeping the 7005 and using the 7.1 input am I not?

 

I really don’t need all the multi channel processing wizardry these days though and am more than happy to focus on a more dedicated 2 channel approach. The 7005 also takes up a lot of room in my rack for these days no benefit.

 

Hoping someone can set me straight here.

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
5 minutes ago, Brucey63 said:

Hi all, new here and have checked lots of previous posts but haven’t quite found the answer.

 

I’ve downsized from a 7.1 home theatre room due to a house move. I’m also looking to now rationalise my gear and given the volume of streaming I now do wanting to concentrate my attention on my music, stereo specifically.

 

I’ve just purchased a Cambridge CXN V2 streamer which my Roon account runs through. I have Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions and currently enjoy both, happy to stay subscribed to both for the moment.

 

I have the Cambridge feeding a Marantz SR7005 via analogue currently and then a pair of Orpheus Apollo speakers.

 

I also run an Apple TV and a Pioneer Kuro plasma tv via HDMI from the Marantz.

 

I’m wanting to add a Cambridge Dacmagic 200M between the CXN and the receiver as I want MQA at least available. 
 

I believe though that if the MQA unfolds are completed in the DACMAGIC and then fed to the receiver that the internal DAC will essentially undo the unfold negating the Dacmagics conversion. I believe I could use the 7.1 input directly to bypass the Marantz DAC though.

 

I’m also considering purchasing the Marantz NR1200 which would still give me the functionality for the HDMI outputs I need for the tv.

 

If I ran the following setup would the NR1200’s internal DACs also undo the MQA conversion?

 

CXN V2 via coaxial > Dacmagic 200M > Marantz NR1200 analogue inputs > Orpheus Apollo’s

 

If so I’m better off just keeping the 7005 and using the 7.1 input am I not?

 

I really don’t need all the multi channel processing wizardry these days though and am more than happy to focus on a more dedicated 2 channel approach. The 7005 also takes up a lot of room in my rack for these days no benefit.

 

Hoping someone can set me straight here.

 

Thanks in advance


What you want to look for is a setting sometimes called Direct. This will pass analog inputs to analog outputs without first converting them back to digital for processing then back to analog. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Did you mean on the AVR or the DAC?

The Avr has the usual Direct and pure direct but from what I have read it will still undergo some processing. It doesn’t have a HT bypass unfortunately. 
 

I’ll check up though on the NR1200

 

Appreciate the quick reply, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Brucey63 said:

Did you mean on the AVR or the DAC?

The Avr has the usual Direct and pure direct but from what I have read it will still undergo some processing. It doesn’t have a HT bypass unfortunately. 
 

I’ll check up though on the NR1200

 

Appreciate the quick reply, thank you.

Yeah, a pure direct should be analog in and analog out in the AVR, but I could be wrong. Without such a setting, any DAC before the AVR can only hurt performance. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yeah, a pure direct should be analog in and analog out in the AVR, but I could be wrong. Without such a setting, any DAC before the AVR can only hurt performance. 

I lifted the below from a review of the NR1200. Direct and pure direct appear to by pass the time controls from what that says but think it still gets passed through the DAC. I’m looking through the AVR manual re the 7.1 analogue inputs currently 

 

The NR1200 has a choice of three sound modes: Stereo, Direct, and Pure Direct. The Stereo mode routes the audio via the NR1200’s tone controls and will apply M-DAX if it’s been selected. M-DAX is a kind of sound processing that can boost the bass and treble of lower-quality MP3 files or other audio of dubious heritage. M-DAX is probably best ignored most of the time and the Direct Mode cuts out the sonic influence of M-DAX and the tone controls. Finally, Pure Direct does much the same as Direct Mode but additionally disables the FL display and a few other bits of circuitry that may create electrical noise”

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Just lifted this from the AVR manual. Think this will do the trick for me but not 100% certain.

 

”This unit is equipped for future expansion through the use of Multi channel Super Audio CD multichannel player or DVD-Audio player.
When this is selected, the input signals connected to the L(front left), R (front right), CENTER, SL (surround left), SR (surround right) and SBL (surround back left) and SBR (surround back right) channels of the 7.1 CH. In jacks are output directly to the front (left and right), center, surround (left and right) and surround back speaker systems as well as the pre-out jacks without passing through the surround circuitry.
In addition, the signal input to the SW (subwoofer) jack is output to the PRE OUT SW (subwoofer) jack. When 7.1 CH. INPUT is selected, the last video input used remains routed to the Monitor Outputs. This permits simultaneous viewing with video sources
4. Adjust the main volume with the MAIN VOLUME knob or the VOL buttons on the remote controller.
To cancel the 7.1 CH. INPUT setting, press the 7.1 button on the remote controller.
Notes
• When the 7.1 CH. Input is in use, you may not select a surround mode, as the external decoder determines processing.
• In addition, there is no signal at the record outputs when the 7.1 CH. Input is in use.
• Furthermore, the following functions are not available during 7.1 CH Input use.
Test Tone, NIGHT MODE, Source Direct, Pure Direct, HT-EQ, Tone Control, Acoustic EQ.
ATTENUATION TO ANALOG INPUT SIGNAL
       If you have already assigned the digital inputs, you can temporarily select the audio input mode for each input source as following procedures.
Press the AMP button and press the A/D button. When this button is pressed, the input mode is switched in the following sequence.
Auto → HDMI → Digital → Analog → Auto
Auto mode:
The types of signals being input to the digital and analog input jacks for the selected input source are detected automatically.
If no digital signal is being input, the analog input jacks are selected automatically.
HDMI mode:
HDMI mode can be selected only when an HDMI input has been assigned as an input source.
When “HDMI Audio” under Preference of the Setup Menu is set to “Through”, the HDMI mode cannot be selected.
Digital mode:
The input signal is fixed to an assigned digital input terminal.
Analog mode:
The analog input jacks are selected.
This selection is temporary and will not be stored in memory.
To store changes to the input mode, select “Input Setup” from the Main Menu. (See page 25)
Note
• This function cannot be used when performing USB, M-XPort or Tuner operations.
1.
                     1.
                                               4.
7.1CH
FRONT.L CENTER FRONT.R SURR.R S.B R S.B L SURR.L SUB W
LEVEL ADJUST
LEVEL: 0.0 dB LEVEL: 0.0 dB LEVEL: 0.0 dB LEVEL: 0.0 dB LEVEL: 0.0 dB LEVEL: 0.0 dB LEVEL: 0.0 dB LEVEL: 0.0 dB
                  1.
2. 3.
Select the input source to record by turning the INPUT SELECTOR knob on the front panel or simply press the input selector buttons on the remote controller.
The input source is now selected and you may watch or listen to it as desired.
The currently selected input source signal is output to the CD/CDR OUT and VCR OUT outputs for recording.
Start recording to the recording component as desired.
1. 2. 3.
2. 1.
4.
3.
Select a desired Video source to decide the routed video signal to the Monitor Outputs.
Press the 7.1 button on the remote controller
to switch the 7.1 channel input.
If it is necessary to adjust the output level of each channel, press the CH.SEL button on the remote controller.
Adjust the speaker output levels so that you can hear the same sound level from each speaker at the listening position. For the front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right and surround back speakers, the output levels can be adjusted between –12 to +12 dB.
The subwoofer can be adjusted between –18 and +12 dB.
These adjustments result will be stored to 7.1 CH. INPUT memory.
                                                                                  Notes
• When connecting only digital signal input, output cannot be made to the CD/CDR OUT or VCR OUT terminals. When using recording functions, be sure to also make connections for analog signal input.
• Video or audio signals input to HDMI input terminals cannot be recorded.
• The S-Video or video signals input from the AUX INPUT terminal are output to the VIDEO OUT (VCR) terminal.
However, video recording is not possible when copy control signals are contained in the video signals.
If the selected analog audio input signal is greater than the capable level of internal processing, the “PEAK” indicator will light up on the front display. If this happens, you should press the ATT button on the remote controller.
“ATT” indicator will be illuminated when this function is activated. The signal-input level is reduced by about half. Attenuation will not work with the output signal of CD/CDR and VCR-OUT.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I’m seriously thinking of scrapping both the current avr and not purchasing the NR 1200 and just buying a decent stereo amp without any DACs, just straight pass to the speakers 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...