IGNORED

Daily Blues

Listened to “Leaving Town Blues” this afternoon and thought of this thread.

Off “Jumping At Shadows - The Blues Years [Disc 2]” [info: recording (Unissued Version) Session for Radio 1 'Top Gear' Recorded at the Playhouse Theatre, London. First broadcast on May 23, 1970]

Bonus - a nice “reflection” [on Peter Green] by Rory Gallagher:

imo a really important topic wrt evolution of and integrity of music [cf. Trains!] – could spend my whole life here but better not …

Just a imho for conversation's sake. Not trying to be right or anything. Posted on ASR first time in donkey's yesterday. New Thread "Music is Dead". Boils down to whether there's some kind of Golden Age (music of the past was actually better in some way) vs. Grumpy Grandad (you carry on loving the music you tuned in to as a teenager). Tracing over the years "Going Down" [Don Nix] informative to my brain and ears. I'd rather take a walk in the country than in the city any day. My personal arguments in favour of Golden Age include that I used to listen to music "before my time" when I was a teenager unlike my friends/peers - plus I appreciate era-congruent music I've never heard. I know these aren't unassailable arguments. The Tracy Conover performance is not the most polished - but well worth a listen all the way thru - especially if, like me, you have a good system!

Moloch (1969)

Freddie King (1971)

Chicken Shack (1972)

Jeff Beck Group (1972) [NB: Cozy Powell]

John Lee Hooker (1973)

Deep Purple (1976)

Luther Allison (1977)

Dutch Mason Blues Band (1979)

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck (1989)

Dr Feelgood (1991)

Peter Green Splinter Group (1997) [NB: Cozy Powell again]

Sonic Flower (2003)

Tracy Conover (2004)

Nine Below Zero (2004)

Quireboys (2017)

Fun Lovin' Criminal (2019)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Agree about the stylistic resemblance. That style is just not my cuppa, but Cray is certainly a fine musician.

I honestly don't have a clue.  And when I listened to Dylan's World Gone Wrong, I listened to each original and sometimes another cover. I do really feel that his arrangement and performance of "Delia" breathes life into the song. On the other hand, I preferred the Mississippi Shieks original version of "World Gone Wrong", but I still appreciate what he did with it and it might grow on me.

Here's a helpful playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSOKhDFcCAJUzp0hMgw6PmQoU_cun6fLC

Perhaps you are more a Blues fundamentalist than I. I have a dreadful music appreciation temperament. I'm a rhythm/pace fiend. If it ain't got swing it don't mean a thing". 😜