IGNORED

Ethernet Surge filter for Audio improvements?

17 hours ago, intothedragon said:

Does it make any sense?

This guy claims he's getting much better audio after installing a 15 bucks network surge protector before his streamer.

Article is in German but can easily be translated on Chrome

I'm honestly asking, is this possible? 

I am not sure, but for my own setup, I installed a pair of tplink media converters that convert ethernet to fiber-optic then back to ethernet, this way I have a fool proof protection for my Hi Fi rack from noisy ethernet, and also in case of any electrical spike thru the ethernet cables (think lightning strike) the fiber won't carry that forward to the hifi equipment...

6 hours ago, thijazi said:

I am not sure, but for my own setup, I installed a pair of tplink media converters that convert ethernet to fiber-optic then back to ethernet, this way I have a fool proof protection for my Hi Fi rack from noisy ethernet, and also in case of any electrical spike thru the ethernet cables (think lightning strike) the fiber won't carry that forward to the hifi equipment...

that's a great solution. Could you please tell me how much a decent optical setup like your goes for? and what else besides the tplink media converters I'll need? thank you 

21 hours ago, intothedragon said:

Legal mano, and what are the improvements you're feeling with the device? Did you buy for that reason or were you looking for a surge protector? Do you still have the source who recommend you this device so I can inform myself, please?

A subtle lowering of noise floor and its benefits: slightly longer decays, better microdynamics and instrument outlines. Not night and day, but the price is not so high too, so worth it.

I don't remember who recommended it before, must be buried in a forum somewhere but I am too lazy to Google it.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

17 hours ago, intothedragon said:

that's a great solution. Could you please tell me how much a decent optical setup like your goes for? and what else besides the tplink media converters I'll need? thank you 

I bought a pair of these "Amazon.com: TP-Link Gigabit SFP to RJ45 Fiber Media Converter, Fiber to Ethernet Converter 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 Port to 1000Base-SX Multi-Mode Fiber (MC200CM) Black: Computers & Accessories" and a short stretch of fiber optic cable, all in all cost me less than $80.. I bought a couple of iFi higher quality power supplies to ensure I have a bit less noise on my power strip and that's it... I know I have a safer and a quieter system for a minimal investment.

If you want to go higher end, Sonore sells supposedly higher quality media converters (Sonore Optical Modules) which they claim are built better, never tried them myself so can't tell if they would be that much better than the tp-link boxes I ended up buying.

8 hours ago, thijazi said:

I bought a pair of these "Amazon.com: TP-Link Gigabit SFP to RJ45 Fiber Media Converter, Fiber to Ethernet Converter 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 Port to 1000Base-SX Multi-Mode Fiber (MC200CM) Black: Computers & Accessories" and a short stretch of fiber optic cable, all in all cost me less than $80.. I bought a couple of iFi higher quality power supplies to ensure I have a bit less noise on my power strip and that's it... I know I have a safer and a quieter system for a minimal investment.

If you want to go higher end, Sonore sells supposedly higher quality media converters (Sonore Optical Modules) which they claim are built better, never tried them myself so can't tell if they would be that much better than the tp-link boxes I ended up buying.

thank you