IGNORED

Ethernet Surge filter for Audio improvements?

2 hours ago, Matias said:

I don't know about the one you mentioned but me and a friend both own an Emo System EN-30 ($172.49) and we both liked the improvement they brought to our systems.

https://www.emosystems.com/product/en-30/

Legal mano, and what are the improvements you're feeling with the device? Did you buy for that reason or were you looking for a surge protector? Do you still have the source who recommend you this device so I can inform myself, please?

20 minutes ago, soares said:

The Delock 62619 is absolutely extraordinary and it costs barely 20$.

https://www.lowbeats.de/schnaeppchen-tuning-plus-schutz-netzwerkadapter-delock-62619-mit-galvanischer-trennung/

Just for reference I share with you my setup:

Router>Rj45>oM>SFP>
Buffalo2016>SFP>oM>Rj45>Zen Mkiii>Rj45> Delock 62619>Rj45>eR  (+ MC)>SFP>oR>USB>iR
USB>Phoenix>USB>
DAC.

Cheers, 

Jorge

well, this is the article linked on my post

6 minutes ago, soares said:

Yes it is. I was much in doubt as my Pink faun lan isolator became redundant after the addition of two switches to my setup. But it was so cheap that I couldn’t resist. Glad I did it.  And it’s not just audio but also image. I ordered two more!!! 🤗

What improvements are you getting from this Surge protector?

A while ago I got a reply from a Oracle Engineer with 25 years experience friend of mine, he has a 30k HiFi System and this is what he wrote to me: 

"It's a transformer. Judging by the datasheet, it is not substantially different from what is already in every Ethernet port as mentioned by NTK. Note that the specified isolation voltage is only 1500 Vrms, not the 6 kV claimed by the manufacturer of the tested product. In other words, this device isn't even suitable for the intended purpose. As for the supposed effects on the sound, it's all the usual things magical widgets always do. Forget about it. It's not even particularly funny."

signal.jpg

1 hour ago, soares said:

Well, I guess everyone is entitled to have their own views concerning cables, switches, reclockers and lan isolators. As you might have seen I’ve tried over the years to get the lowest noise an jitter arriving to my Dac.  I’ve tried a couple of lan  filters, including the Pink Faun that were effective but at some point became redundant as I said earlier. That’s not the case with this. I’d say that it lowered the noise floor contributing to a bigger stage, more micro details and a some better timbre (just a little). To me it was a no brainer. Also image in my Apple TV was sharper and colors were more saturated. So I am convinced. Up to you to try it, or not. You might of course arrive to a different conclusion and that’s perfectly fine. 

I'm not a sceptic, I'm just trying to understand with some reason. Which streamer do you have?  also when you notice these improvements, were you using the analog or digital outputs of your streamers? DAC on or off? 

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

Those transformers are on every device where you have Ethernet connector, by the specification...

What kind of Ethernet cables do you use? If you use shielded ones, the absolute advantage of most of those surge protectors is that they break the shield connection and re-establish the galvanic isolation you'd have with UTP cable.

If you use recommended UTP network cables (plastic connector bodies), then those surge protectors don't make such difference and only operate as a surge protector for very high voltage spikes.

So, there's absolutely ZERO chance that a surge protector would make any difference in audio? 

43 minutes ago, plissken said:

My approach is to DIY your own end points and use quality parts. I like using wireless personally as it gives me 20-40 feet of air gap. Intel server NIC's are under $20 and Solar Flare and HP PCI-e version 2 8X SFP+ nics are $20 - $30 and then you add your optics.

Holy cow, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Is this about an optical ethernet connection? Maybe you can send me a picture of the equipment you’re talking? 

6 hours ago, thijazi said:

I am not sure, but for my own setup, I installed a pair of tplink media converters that convert ethernet to fiber-optic then back to ethernet, this way I have a fool proof protection for my Hi Fi rack from noisy ethernet, and also in case of any electrical spike thru the ethernet cables (think lightning strike) the fiber won't carry that forward to the hifi equipment...

that's a great solution. Could you please tell me how much a decent optical setup like your goes for? and what else besides the tplink media converters I'll need? thank you 

8 hours ago, thijazi said:

I bought a pair of these "Amazon.com: TP-Link Gigabit SFP to RJ45 Fiber Media Converter, Fiber to Ethernet Converter 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 Port to 1000Base-SX Multi-Mode Fiber (MC200CM) Black: Computers & Accessories" and a short stretch of fiber optic cable, all in all cost me less than $80.. I bought a couple of iFi higher quality power supplies to ensure I have a bit less noise on my power strip and that's it... I know I have a safer and a quieter system for a minimal investment.

If you want to go higher end, Sonore sells supposedly higher quality media converters (Sonore Optical Modules) which they claim are built better, never tried them myself so can't tell if they would be that much better than the tp-link boxes I ended up buying.

thank you