IGNORED

Article: Desktop Audio For The Apple Pro Display XDR

7 hours ago, CG said:

So, your plan of getting a really great display and a lower priced compute engine makes great sense to me. There doesn't appear to be an earth shaking display performance improvement on the horizon, and all the computing improvements will largely be incremental.  Your approach seems like a better allocation of resources than buying a new iMac.

I would actually go the opposite direction, I'm sure it is a fabulous display but the most progress has been in that arena so investing $6K+ in a display that will likely be outdistanced very soon makes no sense to me.. look how fast we went from 1080 being state of the art to 4K being ubiquitous. I understand that if you want the state of the art now in displays you have to pay the premium and I have no problem with others doing it, just not for me. 

The Mac Mini M1 may be "lower priced" but for tasks that use a single core it is the fastest that Apple has at the moment. Faster than a Mac Pro. My 2018 3.2GHz i7 was choking with HQ player to DSD 512 and my M1 sails through it. Prior to the M1 the iMac was the fastest and the M1 is about 50% faster so not in agreement on the assessment of incremental computer improvement ,,, 50% to me  is a leap.. not an increment

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 7.14.09 PM.png

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

9 hours ago, blaven said:

One of the most inexpensive shamelessly decadent purchases I would recommend to anyone with this type of setup is a desktop Apple TV.

I use it for Picture-in Picture sports while working on the Mac and separately even watch movies and various shows with the kids in my basement lair- lots of 4k HDR content and its shocking how good a 2.1 setup can sound. 

by "Apple TV" do you mean the Apple TV app or the Apple TV hardware box? Trying to figure out how you do PIP on your  Mac.

thanks

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768