IGNORED

JRiver MC27 corrupting album art in AIFF -> FLAC transcode

I purchase downloads from Qobuz in AIFF, which is my main format.

I also keep a FLAC version of the library for portable uses. I transcode all AIFF to FLAC using JRiver MC27.

However, I have noticed that most (all?) albums from Qobuz get transcoded with corrupted album art metadata. In JRiver they show fine, but when using those files elsewhere, it is clear the album art is corrupted (eg if you open the file with Yate or Mp3tag).

What gives?

Thx.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

• miguelito changed the title to JRiver MC27 corrupting album art in AIFF -> FLAC transcode

Here are two example files, the FLAC version transcoded from the AIFF download with MC 27.0.62. 

I can provide a link to an example pair of files if you want to check for this issue.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

@jriver, @Matt Ashland:

In v26, when transcoding AIFF to FLAC, the album art would disappear completely. I reported this and provided examples, and they were verified.

This was supposedly fixed in v27, where the art is now shown in MC. However, the file artwork is not visible anywhere else (tried Audirvana, Roon, Yate, Mp3tag, dCS Mosaic). So v27 it is still screwing up the artwork in the FLAC file.

This is an issue only with AIFF files from Qobuz, it doesn't happen with my ripped CD files where I either go with the image picked up by XLD or add my own via Yate.

Since no other software (Audirvana, Roon, mac finder, Yate or Mp3tag) has an issue with seeing the proper image in the AIFF file - including MC when looking at the AIFF file - it is puzzling that FLAC transcoding corrupts the image. Transcoding AIFF to FLAC with XLD works just fine.

I understand there might be some oddity with the embedded artwork in AIFF files from Qobuz, but the point still stands: if all other software can cope with this oddity so should MC.

I have uploaded a pair of files (AIFF and the MC transcoded FLAC) to my google drive for verification. Send me a PM and I will send you the link as I don't want to put a public link to Qobuz purchases here.

Thx.

system pics

This is what Yate reports on this corrupted FLAC file:

751065917_Yatescreen.thumb.png.ab9a9d77b8bd234625c05587adf53a96.png

system pics

Several years back AIFF files from Qobuz were unplayable with the Pioneer streamers of the day even though other players (including rather ironically JRiver MC 19) seemed unaffected by them. It was due to the unconventional data structure Qobuz were using for their AIFF files, placing the optional chunks before the compulsory chunks:

It's possible your Qobuz AIFF files are the similarly structured and therefore the catalyst for the FLAC conversion issue in MC 27.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

5 hours ago, Cebolla said:

It's possible your Qobuz AIFF files are the similarly structured and therefore the catalyst for the FLAC conversion issue in MC 27.

Yes, but all other software, including MC27, can read the files just fine, and XLD can transcode just fine to FLAC as well, so this should not be happening. There's clearly some difference between the AIFF files from Qobuz - but I expect MC to deal with this properly like everyone else.

system pics

2 hours ago, Matt Ashland said:

I sent you  a PM hoping for the files.  We'll sure take a look.  Thanks.

Just sent a google drive link to your email. Thx.

system pics

On 4/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, Matt Ashland said:

I confirm that mac version 27.0.79 fixes the issue.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129110.0.html

Thank you.

system pics