IGNORED

Farad Super3 Listening Impression

Feel free to join the club for all Farad Super3 users. Your listening impression and sharing on different audiophile device is welcome!!!

With great help from customer of Giesemann Clock, we have contact with Mr. Mattijs from Farad and become one of the dealer to sell ranges of Farad new products, coming this year. 

super3-power-supply_2048x.png?v=16168141

thumbnail_image3.thumb.jpg.79d0114cce3e7a2f83f767fdee55ce0a.jpg

1550509614_AfterDark.LEGOFB.JPG.0504f7357b83821e26a0e9de09d114ce.JPG

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

• AfterDark. changed the title to Farad Super3 Listening Impression

My Giesemann clock arrives next week and I already have a Farad Super 3 for my EtherREGEN, but will be getting a second one for my clock. So I will be doing some testing and reporting back.

Congratulations to After Dark on becoming a Farad dealer in Asia 👍👍👍

21 hours ago, pietka08 said:

One question from a "humanist". 
Is the Farad Super3 12V suitable to power the AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX GIESEMANN OCXO 10MHZ REFERENCE MASTER CLOC ?
QUEEN -SQUARE WAVE ETHERREGEN SE

Yes very well I am using the 12v Super3 with Sr fuse, level 2 and Furatech 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Given that the AfterDark Queen Square wave EtherREGEN clock requires a 12v 2A LPS and the EtherREGEN requires a 7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, or 12V/0.8A LPS, would the 12V 3A Farad Super3 suitably power both devices?

And would it likely be an audible improvement over using the AfterDark Modernize Black 12V 2A LPS on the clock and a Farad Super3 LPS (7, 9 or 12v) on the EtherREGEN?

7 hours ago, DSK6 said:

Given that the AfterDark Queen Square wave EtherREGEN clock requires a 12v 2A LPS and the EtherREGEN requires a 7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, or 12V/0.8A LPS, would the 12V 3A Farad Super3 suitably power both devices?

And would it likely be an audible improvement over using the AfterDark Modernize Black 12V 2A LPS on the clock and a Farad Super3 LPS (7, 9 or 12v) on the EtherREGEN?

You should not power the EtherREGEN and another device from the same PSU; is the recommendation, or you break the isolation. You need to power the clock separately from the REGEN.

Farad Super3 will be superior to the AD PSU, I asked Adrian about this myself.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been 257 hours since I replaced square Queen with Eva and SQ is getting glorious already. Huge difference between them indeed. I’m using three Farads all with level 2 silver, furutech and SR orange. Week before I received clock I replaced most of my power cables and distributor so it might be the factor in the change too but what I hear today is pure awesomeness.

very interested ... however, I hate to send for modification.

Andrew, is that easy to do by myself with instruction , thinking to order two 6.3v FARAD from you.

Or, can we swap the Mutec i.e. I pay the combo and send mine to you once I received ?

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Hi! Mitch751,

Thanks for your interested. We shall prepare a maunal guide with step by step modification for Mutec MC-3+USB. I will make it as simple as possible, we planned to design a new back plate for Mutec MC3-3+USB, to install an additional  GX16-2pin DC port with Carbon Fiber board. This design can cover the IEC open hole, so it will be looks really nice afterwards.

thumbnail_image5.thumb.jpg.93bd26a48270be90928b13b5c9f053dd.jpg

Thanks for your good advices. 

Have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

On 5/29/2021 at 3:36 AM, AfterDark. said:

special edition for Mutec MC3+USB tuned to 6.3V DC for best sounding

modification of Mutec MC3+USB can be send back to us for upgrade to power with Farad Super Farad 3 LPS

group buy which included the modification + Farad LPS, so the upgrade can combine shipment for audiophilestyle's members

6 hours ago, mitch751 said:

hate to send for modification

is that easy to do by myself with instruction

can we swap the Mutec i.e. I pay the combo and send mine to you once I received

1 hour ago, AfterDark. said:

We shall prepare a maunal guide with step by step modification for Mutec MC-3+USB

new back plate for Mutec MC3-3+USB, to install an additional  GX16-2pin DC port with Carbon Fiber board. This design can cover the IEC open hole, so it will be looks really nice afterwards.

1. 6.3V reported OK by some e.g. @mourip; however, some users who have modded their MC3+ USB caution V overload - suggesting (on good authority from Mutec?) 6.3V is at or over "fry" threshold e.g.:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-diyrs-cookbook.781268/page-76#post-13531120

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/16801-mutec-mc-3/?do=findComment&comment=737468

2. Some users report the SMPS/LPS mod is even better with the USB board removed. Can you do this as a variation? Seems unclear whether V is then 5V.

For existing Mutec MC-3+ USB owners

3. Any indication of price for AfterDark mod [with nice backplate] please? Is it contingent on simultaneous purchase of special edition Farad 3 PS? Buyer pays outbound shipping of Mutec  - then AfterDark ships Farad+ modded Mutec back in same box? This could amount to a few weeks for outbound and return shipping alone.

4. The swap idea is confounded with a "New for Old" problem presumably.

For buyers willing to buy a new Mutec MC-3+ USB

5. Mutec warranty affected by AfterDark mod?

Thanks

Just put my order in for the Afterdark 75ohm Emperor Double Crown OCXO clock.  I'll keep an eye out for the 6.3v Super Fared 3. I'm thinking I need to get one.

Adrian,  would a Super Fared 3 be a noticeable improvement over the Afterdark LPSU powering your clocks or is it overkill for this purpose? 

Cheers 

Matt 

18 minutes ago, Mjw21a said:

would a Super Fared 3 be a noticeable improvement over the Afterdark LPSU powering your clocks or is it overkill for this purpose

You must understand that the AfterDark clocks is extremely simple native 50 ohm devices. This is why a good 12 VDC power is highly likely to affect the SQ in a positive way. 
Good star-quad DC cables is crucial as well.

Those that like to experiment with various DC voltages should consider these nice items
There are many ways to utilize these items. Adrian could even place those boards inside his clocks 😀. There is space available. 

https://www.ldovr.com/category-s/123.htm

@[email protected] is available here at AS, and can answer any questions about how to implement this technology into existing PS. Or upfront internal in almost any device. 

If you’re looking for a very reasonable PS, the Gophert CPS-3205 ll (or variant or upgraded versions  of the Gophert, like the NPS-1601). A Gophert mixed with Alexey’s modules may equal a Farad in SQ.

I guess Adrian own PS could as well be modified to be mixed with LT3045 boards.

Each board / regulator adds a 0,7 V drop. 

Hello 

We tried the LT3045 modules, it is not good for Mutec MC3-USB. It sound dry and digital. So, the modification will not included the LT3045 inside the Mutec. There will no extra circuit for regulators, so the DC input for modification will be preset at 6V-6.08V. 

Last 2 days, we are trying with different voltage on Mutec, the best sounding is around 6V. We are asking Farad if 6V is possible for this group buy. 

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:46 PM, Iving said:

1. 6.3V reported OK by some e.g. @mourip; however, some users who have modded their MC3+ USB caution V overload - suggesting (on good authority from Mutec?) 6.3V is at or over "fry" threshold e.g.:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-diyrs-cookbook.781268/page-76#post-13531120

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/16801-mutec-mc-3/?do=findComment&comment=737468

2. Some users report the SMPS/LPS mod is even better with the USB board removed. Can you do this as a variation? Seems unclear whether V is then 5V.

For existing Mutec MC-3+ USB owners

3. Any indication of price for AfterDark mod [with nice backplate] please? Is it contingent on simultaneous purchase of special edition Farad 3 PS? Buyer pays outbound shipping of Mutec  - then AfterDark ships Farad+ modded Mutec back in same box? This could amount to a few weeks for outbound and return shipping alone.

4. The swap idea is confounded with a "New for Old" problem presumably.

For buyers willing to buy a new Mutec MC-3+ USB

5. Mutec warranty affected by AfterDark mod?

Thanks

Hi Iving, 

Thank for your information.

1. We shall make it 6.0V, as per Mattijs from Farad. This will provide the best performance with the Super Capacitor.

2. The USB is quite easily to remove as module. The voltage will remain the same as 6V.

3. We are designing the final version for modifcation, we keens to adds Ultimate RUBY Mica Triplets ˜3 units and Duelund Silver Foil JDM Audio bypass capacitor to fine tune the sounding on Mutec MC-3+USB. AfterDark. AudiophileMAT Carbon Fiber board will add inside the chassis for EMI protection, we make sure it looks good Ïnside". EMI Absorber material from KEMET etc. So it will be real upgrades for audiophiles. 

1239564529_Screenshot2021-06-01at4_58_03PM.png.01221ef9f81713c695054c5418c2140a.png

Duelund JDM Silver Foil Audio Capacior for power section 

thumbnail_image5.thumb.jpg.7d8831e521ab72236bb07b124c817c21.jpg

Triple Ruby MICA Caps

4. We can source some new unit from Mutec in Germany 

5. The warranty willl void after the mod.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.  

10 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi Iving, 

1. We shall make it 6.0V, as per Mattijs from Farad. This will provide the best performance with the Super Capacitor.

2. The USB is quite easily to remove as module. The voltage will remain the same as 6V.

3. We are designing the final version for modifcation, we keens to adds Ultimate RUBY Mica Triplets ˜3 units and Duelund Silver Foil JDM Audio bypass capacitor to fine tune the sounding on Mutec MC-3+USB. AfterDark. AudiophileMAT Carbon Fiber board will add inside the chassis for EMI protection, we make sure it looks good Ïnside". EMI Absorber material from KEMET etc. So it will be real upgrades for audiophiles. 

1239564529_Screenshot2021-06-01at4_58_03PM.png.01221ef9f81713c695054c5418c2140a.png

Triple Ruby MICA Caps

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.  

Thank you for these specific answers. I'm interested as a customer. As an option, are you still thinking of modding existing units. We send you our Mutec MC-3+ USB. You mod and send back with a new Farad PS? Cost of mod (and Farad) done this way? Thanks

21 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi Iving, 

Triple Ruby MICA Caps

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.  

Will it be possible to order this as a "kit" from you Adrian?  I'm loathe to be without my MC3+USB for any period of time is all.