IGNORED

Basic Two Pc Setup

Hi 

its quiet extraordinary how sometimes the most basic thing can have you stumped.

I cant work out how this 2 pc thing works and its driving me mad!!!!

It want to use this set up or at least try it as so many people say its the way to go....

So you have 

A router at one end and a dac and headphones at the other.

obviously there are 2 pcs involved. One is a control and the other an audio. One has an MS server

So....

were do the music files go?

were do the programs go?

which one do you install AO on (or maybe both?)

ill be using roon and dont intend to use Jplay.

Ive built a computer, installed Windows 10 a million times, do reg tweeks etc and all the other tweeky rubbish etc, but its astonishing that something this simple i cant find out!

Why does using a server improve SQ any way? 

Am I giving the impression that im angry and frustrated : )

Thanks C

Haven’t used Roon in a while but I recall....

If you using windows 10

PC  1 

Install AO 

Install Roon Server

This will be your control PC

connect to your network (router or switch)

Install files here

Setup Roon to see bridge on pc 2 below

All heavy loading gets done here. 
Files are sent from here to PC 2 then onto your DAC. 

PC 2 (Intel Nuc would be suffice)

Install AO 

Install Roon end point/bridge

USB out to DAC 

If you’ve got spare PC handy then 2 PC is a good option. However if you planning on spending money on new PC (pc 2) I would question if you are going to get the best bang for buck? For example I would invest the most you can on 1 PC with good linear Power supply. 

Good luck

Hi ASRM

Fantastic.

At last some sense.

If you can indulge me a bit further.

Would pc1 be a dedicated pc?

I have bought one for this purpose and have optimised this as far as possible as a single pc setup.

I’ve never been quite sure how much to keep installed. Im assuming one would need some basic apps like a browser and antivirus and basically the players ie roon, qobuz etc....

As for pc 2... I have an old dell optiplex. Are we talking about something that basic?

also wondering about how you would set the server up as im presuming some sort of interface is still needed to do that?

Thanks. Ive now got the nuts and bolts to put it together which is exactly what i needed

Thanks C

It’s very hard to say what is the best option because you don’t list your setup. 

For example if your PC 1 has a linear power supply and your pc 2 doesn’t then I see no point in having two box setup. Similarly do you have a network card? Usb card? Or using motherboard onboard for that? 

A few years ago I was in exact same position as you are now. All I can say is pause any idea. Search and read as much information you can find on this forum. Many people like myself list our setups. Try have a look you’ll understand better. 

Then set yourself a budget. Create a post with your setup asking what should I spend my budget on? After all I seen your post on any thread saying you just want an improve & sit back & listen to music. 

Trust me two years ago that’s what I should have done, would of saved countless hours & loads of cash.

Hi ASRM

Ive pretty much got all the bits so wouldn’t be any harm in trying just for the fun of it.

I’m quiet happy with my single pc set up but theres always been a bit of sharpness I cant quiet get rid of regardless of dacs, headphones, different pcs etc...

Some of the software makes a difference like Wynil seems softer than Jplay etc, and using wasapi instead of asio is less sharp, but its always there.

I always feel that the less sharp players like Wynil then start to lose a bit of attack.

Every little tweek gets an improvement but that last bit of harshness or achieving that analogue sound never quite seems to go.

So this is basically what Im perusing is to remove that sharp element so I can just enjoy the music.

its that last bit of ‘sharpness’ thats makes it just short of this. Arrgh!

thanks C

9 minutes ago, Citrus said:

Hi ASRM

Ive pretty much got all the bits so wouldn’t be any harm in trying just for the fun of it.

I’m quiet happy with my single pc set up but theres always been a bit of sharpness I cant quiet get rid of regardless of dacs, headphones, different pcs etc...

Some of the software makes a difference like Wynil seems softer than Jplay etc, and using wasapi instead of asio is less sharp, but its always there.

I always feel that the less sharp players like Wynil then start to lose a bit of attack.

Every little tweek gets an improvement but that last bit of harshness or achieving that analogue sound never quite seems to go.

So this is basically what Im perusing is to remove that sharp element so I can just enjoy the music.

its that last bit of ‘sharpness’ thats makes it just short of this. Arrgh!

thanks C

I suspect the sharpness will always be there until you get dedicated psu, e.g linear power supply. 

Hi 

Yippee!

Now where getting somewhere. You may have improved my entire life : )

See what I mean. Sometimes these silly bits of info are the most elusive as every knows so no one mentions it!

Just for clarity (and extra dumbness) we are talking about the psu inside the pc so Ill just browse on line for a different dedicated linear one.

Thanks C

Hi 

Yippee!

Now where getting somewhere. You may have improved my entire life

See what I mean. Sometimes these silly bits of info are the most elusive as every knows so no one mentions it!

Just for clarity (and extra dumbness) we are talking about the psu inside the pc and Ill just browse on line for a different dedicated one

19 minutes ago, Citrus said:

Some how repeated the last thing?

thanks

one last thing...  I'm guessing a better psu for the dac might be wise?

C

Depends on your DAC! The power supply can be external to the pc. Using CPU & ATX cable. Another area to explore is a USB, Ethernet card. But all depends on the rest of your system which you don’t mention. 

After a quick bit of research.....

it seems to have possibly come down to this

In light of simplicity and a kind of plug and player answer it seems a lot of 12v linear psu are around 300w plus.

my current psu is this pic below.

so can you add a 300w supply to 120w unit

my instict is that not a wise move but im no electronics expert?

8C5AE2A2-833B-4C09-9EB3-0710A887C0D0.png