IGNORED

Mini - Circuits BLP - 10.7+ Low Pass Filter for Giesemann Clock (Group Buy for audiophilestyle.com)

2 minutes ago, JonD said:

Do you have these in stock? If so then it would make sense for me to add this to my clock order, so it could go together...

My Giesemann is for use with an EtherREGEN, so presume its the sine wave version.

Thanks

Jon

Hi! Jon,

Yes, we order 50 units from vendor, and they will be in stock next week. Please feel free to join this group buy. This is work for your Giesemann which is in sine wave version.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

Just now, Mat said:

Adrian,

i have the queen sinewave , so I need this to work best for etherregen ?

Thanks.

Hi! Mat,

After reading the white paper from John. This magic filter is worth to try. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Are there any other clocks, besides I imagine the Mutec Ref 10 and Ref 10 SE 120 (?), for which we might expect the square wave output into an ER to surpass its sine wave output (+ of course the Mini-Circuits filter)?

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

55 minutes ago, James Stephens said:

Are there any other clocks, besides I imagine the Mutec Ref 10 and Ref 10 SE 120 (?), for which we might expect the square wave output into an ER to surpass its sine wave output (+ of course the Mini-Circuits filter)?

Sorry wrong Topic.

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

1 hour ago, James Stephens said:

Hi James:

While I understand what you are asking, the phrasing of the latter part of your question does not really fit. You seem to imply that there are first-rate clocks that offer both square and sine waves from the same box. That’s not the case with the Mutec (square only) nor any of the better boxes from Asia (mostly sine) that I am aware of.

As John explained in his paper, it takes a lot of care to both produce a really good square wave AND to preserve that quality (via cabling) all the way to the target device. Not that it can’t be done.  And OXCO modules (the circuits in the cans along with the crystal) are available with square wave output. But how that is implemented and handled varies greatly.

Also, some companies (and I have no idea about what AfterDark does to offer square wave in some models) use sine>square circuits between the OCXO module and the output.  There exist a couple of chips that do this extremely well, but then there are the rest which are rather poor at it (and then the truly terrible squarer mess that is in the BG7TBL boxes).

So with inexpensive square wave output clocks you really never know what you will get. Yet with sine wave clocks you need to be very careful to filter to a very clean wave—best done at the endpoint target device end.

Back to your question—which likely was more meant to be something like:
“Can a really low-phase noise sine wave output clock—terminated with the Mini-Circuits filter—outperform a first-rate square wave box such as a Mutec REF10 SE20 (assuming $$$ also spent on a cable for that square wave)?

I certainly can’t answer that and I think John would decline to as well without making extremely careful (and rather difficult to set up) measurements.  And even the characteristics of the receiver in the endpoint target would likely have significant affect on such a comparison.

I write all the above primarily so that we can all begin thinking about these things from the proper angles. It’s confusing stuff! B|

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi James:

While I understand what you are asking, the phrasing of the latter part of your question does not really fit. You seem to imply that there are first-rate clocks that offer both square and sine waves from the same box. That’s not the case with the Mutec (square only) nor any of the better boxes from Asia that I am aware of.

As John explained in his paper, it takes a lot of care to both produce a really good square wave AND to preserve that quality (via cabling) all the way to the target device. Not that it can’t be done.  And OXCO modules (the circuits in the cans along with the crystal) are available with square wave output. But how that is implemented and handled varies greatly.

Also, some companies (and I have no idea about what AfterDark does to offer square wave in some models) use sine>square circuits between the OCXO module and the output.  There exist a couple of chips that do this extremely well, but then there are the rest which are rather poor at it (and then the truly terrible squarer mess that is in the BG7TBL boxes).

So with inexpensive square wave output clocks you really never know what you will get. Yet with sine wave clocks you need to be very careful to filter to a very clean wave—best done at the endpoint target device end.

Back to your question—which likely was more meant to be something like:
“Can a really really low-phase noise sine wave output clock—terminated with the Mini-Circuits filter—outperform a first-rate square wave box such as a Mutec REF10 SE20 (assuming $$$ also spent on a cable for that square wave)?

I certainly can’t answer that and I think John would decline to as well without making extremely careful (and rather difficult to set up) measurements.  And even the characteristics of the receiver in the endpoint target would likely have significant affect on such a comparison.

I write all the above primarily so that we can all begin thinking about these things from the proper angles. It’s confusing stuff! B|

If I understand correctly, you are saying that the After Dark queen Square Wave clock, which is quite cheap, which seems to be a special version for the ER, is not necessarily as good as a sine wave version with this filter?

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Guess you missed the part where I said:

AfterDark would need to explain their techniques for offering square wave output. They might be switching to an OXCO module that has a built-in squarer circuit, or the might be using some other technique or chip to go sine>square.

You would have to ask them.

But one of their best sine wave clocks combined with this filter should yield exceptional results.:D

@AfterDark. Can you explain technique for square wave ? it's a good square wave ?

The stock is arrived. 

thumbnail_IMG_3670.thumb.jpg.2eb67cd739be675c35a9758aed9f87d6.jpg

Just now, Mouna said:

thank you in the meanwhile  I found it too and ordered already - more expensive than the chinese clock - do you notice a worthwile improvement?

Best

Michael

I'm still waiting to receive mine - hoping it will further improve the AfterDark Giesemann clock 😉

22 minutes ago, JonD said:

Is there a 75ohm version of this filter for those of us with 75ohm clocks? Cant see one on the Mini Circuits website, but do see one advertised by AfterDark.

Leaving aside the issue of whether the 75 ohm version is needed for 75 ohm clocks, here's the link: 

https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=BLP-10.7-75%2B

If it's available (I believe AfterDark carries it), I suppose there's no harm matching the impedence for peace of mind 😀