IGNORED

John Swenson tutoring paper: "Considerations regarding usage of external reference clocks" (EtherREGEN and other): Sine vs. square, impedance, cables—and a money saving surprise at the end.

19 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Not sure if right time or tread, but by accident I just came across this very old post. 

I suppose some of it has been covered by previous white paper, but I suppose there are more things that can be shown or told about these effects of a jitter / phase noise marker the next coming 2 to 5 year.  Part of this of cause what the fantastic EtherRegen is all about and why we all love it. I would expect the effect of external clocks can be measured. And in both directions. Rember the B>A effect was said might not be as good as A>B. Would be interesting to know. 

“John will prove--by evidence of the marker at the analog output of the DAC downstream--that the phase-noise fingerprint of upstream interfaces can have a measurable influence on the analog output.”

I had to do some changes and error search in my setup yesterday. I really don’t need those fingerprints to be convinced 😀

System with and without the EtherRegen was different. Now my second, but first clock from Adrian has been ordered. I couldn’t afford what I wanted. So I go with the King. After all there is already a queen at home 😉

Rember the B>A effect was said might not be as good as A>B. Would be interesting to know?

can you clarify this point?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Here is what I’m saying:

As far as I understand, if the shape is not a perfect square, the triggering interval is flawed, thus jitter is introduced into the DAC.

Now, it could be that shielding on that cable is so terrible that it picks up noise, which countervails the nearly perfect square to a point where the overall sound is degraded. 

A bit off tangent, but somewhat related: money doesn’t necessarily buy quality in this game. I inquired with Furutech about the attenuation on some of their coax cables, and the figures sent back to me were pretty dismal; considerably worse than the more affordable Canare LV-77S. 

For my part, I made the choice of beginner to buy an OYAIDE DB-510 Digital Coaxial Cable BNC 75 Ohm Silver. Except that it is a very beautiful cable, I hope that this cable will bring me satisfaction and that its manufacture is serious.
Have you already tested this cable?