IGNORED

Zappa in High Resolution / Need Recommendations

I believe Apostrophe, Over-Nite Sensation or One Size Fits All are good to start. Joe's Garage (all three parts) is very good. Bongo Fury (with Captain Beefheart) is excellent. Zappa in New York, Sheik Yerbouti. Zappa recorded a lot of albums, especially after he decided to run his own recording label and was pushed to publish as much, as he can to maintain sales. As a whole 70s were his best years, imo.

1 hour ago, samtheman57 said:

While I'm on here, considering Zappa recorded to the highest standards, does anyone who knows these records inside and out think there is worth in buying the 192/24 versions? I just downloaded"Roxy Performances" and they sound amazing at 44/16, I can't imagine them getting clearer and cleaner.

The answer to your question depends on personal subjective preferences and the characteristics of your audio system. For me, 16-44 is quite enough, however someone will be satisfied with 24-192 only. I would pay attention to the other thing instead of this. The original LPs in the mid-70s sounded not the same. For example, Over-Nite Sensation had better sound than Apostrophe, which was slightly muffled to my ears. Whether the clarity has been improved now would be more important. Didn't listen new Apostrophe version yet, hope it sounds better now.

38 minutes ago, samtheman57 said:

I have spent years tweaking my system, and recent upgrades include my HD Streamer using balanced outputs, NSF Clear line AC Optimizer, a decent power conditioner by Furman, and a Khozmo Acoustic Passive Pre, as well as ADAM T7V monitors. I heard Apostrophe on a high end system for the time (uh, a bit under the influence) with a Marantz receiver and amp and AR speakers. It blew my mind and changed my life. I became a true FZ fanatic. Anyway, all that to sat I stuck my foot in the water, and to my ears, and many years, the 192/24 version is definitive. Another Spin, I get the muffled effect on prior versions, I can hear all details much more clearly, especially, misheard lyrics. Down the rabbit hole I go.

Speaking about Apostrophe, most detailed I heard it was with good Noble Audio earphones... I've been going backward with my audio system simplifying and minimizing it step by step for some time. Now I have a less refined or sophisticated sound, what allows me to focus more on music. 🙂

1 hour ago, JazzDoc2 said:

Another batch of Frank Zappa HiRes downloads has been released today as follows:

Absolutely Free (24-192)
Bongo Fury (24-192)
Burnt Weeny Sandwich (24-192)
Chicago '78 (24-96)
Halloween 81 (24-96)

The Mothers 1970 (24-96)

Zappa In New York (40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) (24-96)

[...]

I had 4 or 5 from these on LPs. Bongo Fury, collaboration with Captain Beefheart, is essential, not to miss. The whole album is very good, but the last track, Muffin Man is mind-blowing.