IGNORED

'deaf' above 14kHz, appear to hear above that frequency -- hypothesis as to how.

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

John, the simplest explanation is that you're just hearing IMD. Energy at or above 14kHz can be significant on some recordings, so you don't need to hear those frequencies, as they add and subtract with frequencies below 14k.

If this was true , there would be absolutely no point in anything with higher frequency content than 21kHZ such as Professional  reel to reel tape, Vinyl, (which these days can readily exceed >30kHZ,)  SACD , 48kHz of Music Videos, 24/96 and 24/192 and DSD.

I prefer the sound of 24/48 on Music Video for example over 16/44.1 of the same recording . e.g. The often discussed Olivia Newton John recordings in John's PM group sound better to me than the same on CD, which is why I have linked to them several times previously.

It is insulting to the vast majority to members to suggest that their preference for High Res material is imaginary simply because they are no longer directly  able to hear a pure sine wave of >15kHz due to their age demographic.

Perhaps I must be really stupid to believe that my collection of 6 high res albums ( in 24/192) from SoundKeeper Records sound markedly better than the same recording professionally downsampled to 16/44.1 ? 😜

P.S. 

I assisted Barry with the selection of the best sounding out of 4 versions of .aiff to .wav converters for his most recent 24/192 album Kay Sa.

I have since heard the previous 5 albums reconverted using this S/W and they all sound clearly better under non sighted conditions.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I'm guessing it's really hard for you to follow what I say, Alex, and this is not the first time.

You always come out on the side of measurements to attempt to prove what others report hearing is not due to  their hearing above the thresholds generally quoted for older people. 

At John's age for example, he shouldn't be able to notice tape hiss either, let alone miniscule amounts of IMD. 

Hearing Loss -Steve Hoffman Forums.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

28 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

While we hear primarily with our ears that's not the only part of our body that senses sound. There are profoundly deaf people that have trained themselves to hear, and even to enjoy music.

Even Archimago has acknowledged that people with severe hearing damage are often able to hear things that others are unable to hear.

In my case, in addition to me now being 82, I have a 21mm diameter Acoustic Neuroma pressing directly on my right ear canal, yet I prefer well recorded High Res material over the same on RBCD.

12 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Read it again. I didn't try to prove anything, and didn't mention measurements. How's your eyesight? I have concerns.

Typical insults from you, with the graph I posted showing that your suggested causes of such minute levels of IMD,  should not be possible.

20 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

So because you believe what I said might be impossible you feel the need to attack me personally?

John

As the OP you have the ability to request OP privileges and remove all of this this personality clash stuff between a purely Measurements based member and myself who believes that pertinent measurements are indeed valuable, but NOT the be all, end all.

As you appear to have rethought your original post, perhaps this thread should be permitted to wind down out in the absence of further new input from you ?

Alex 

6 minutes ago, davide256 said:

If you believe the chart below there are practically no first order harmonics above 10k for acoustic instruments and second order harmonics take

very little hit outside of violin and cymbals for content lost above 10K.

http://blog.landr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Instrument_Frequency_Chart.jpg

As to high frequency hearing, I always do this exercise when it feels dulled. Pinch nose, blow until you feel pressure in ears, then swallow to equalize.

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~boyk/spectra/spectra.htm

14 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Where I do hear a true difference with MP3, again -- very seldom a casually noticeable difference -- is on complex material with intense detail.  I have NEVER detected anything more than a 'feeling' (unrepeatable) difference on non-dense recordings.   (Hear it more on moderately intense pop-rock, less-so on typical classical recordings.)

John

How did you find the 2 examples I posted ?

I tried these on Headphone Reviewer Dale Thorn several years ago. Up till then he really hadn't noticed any differences

Alex

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1c8tx8gf2khacq/Touch Yello - 04 - Bostich (Reflected) (Yello).mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9idn860qudm4rq/Touch Yello - 04 - Bostich (Reflected) (Yello).wav?dl=0