IGNORED

Synergistic Research SR Orange Fuse snake oil ?

The world of cars demonstrates the price craziness, quite clearly .. if you have a prestige vehicle, and some tiny, inconsequential part of the trim, say, breaks, to replace it will cost a ridiculous amount of money. The size, importance and true value of the part is irrelevant - that you trying to 'improve' a costly item is the key, and means that people will pay commensurate amounts of money, to achieve such.

20 minutes ago, fas42 said:

See what I mean, ^_^ ...

You don't see. The old phrase you can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

As I said, nothing you talk about, with electrical noise makes absolutely no sense, both engineering-wise and based on physics, and I have pretty decent hearing for a 61 year old gent. But, I also base things on listening to how people describe their equipment. Using flowery words, means more subjective which is hard to prove one way or another. That usually is a flag, not always. I also listen with an objective ear.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 minutes ago, botrytis said:

You don't see. The old phrase you can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

As I said, nothing you talk about, with electrical noise makes absolutely no sense, both engineering-wise and based on physics, and I have pretty decent hearing for a 61 year old gent. But, I also base things on listening to how people describe their equipment. Using flowery words, means more subjective which is hard to prove one way or another. That usually is a flag, not always. I also listen with an objective ear.

( Sigh ... )

Let's start at the beginning, a very good place to ... :)

Thought experiment: on the other side of your listening room, in a soundproof room, you have a heavy duty arc welder; plugged into a socket back to back on the circuit, and socket, used by your audio gear. Are you 100% convinced that absolutely no-one will know when the arc welder is operating, while your system is working, by the quality of the sounds coming from the speakers ... yes or no?

To @fas42 - I will give an example of hearing hallucinations (which are actually fairly common) is tinnitus. It is the nerves over-acting, etc. but it also an auditory hallucination. There are many more.

Here is an article on just BIAS...

Scientist deal with bias in research all the time, and that is why experiments and papers go through a review process to make sure there is very little bias in the data and the discussion/conclusions from it. One such classic bias science paper was the 1980's British paper on how vaccines cause autism - they don't but it took years to prove the researcher that published this paper had taken money to prove this point. He was put in jail.

635.full.pdf

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

4 hours ago, botrytis said:

To @fas42 - I will give an example of hearing hallucinations (which are actually fairly common) is tinnitus. It is the nerves over-acting, etc. but it also an auditory hallucination. There are many more.

Here is an article on just BIAS...

Scientist deal with bias in research all the time, and that is why experiments and papers go through a review process to make sure there is very little bias in the data and the discussion/conclusions from it. One such classic bias science paper was the 1980's British paper on how vaccines cause autism - they don't but it took years to prove the researcher that published this paper had taken money to prove this point. He was put in jail.

635.full.pdf 91.68 kB · 2 downloads

You see, the problem is that you use BIAS as the catchall for everything you don't have a ready answer for - hence, a Get Out Of Jail Free card. This will get you somewhere, but soon enough the elastic is stretched too far - and it breaks.

I could use the exactly the same talk that you do, with respect to the silliness about speakers. The amount of nonsense about the characteristics of speakers, and how they so vitally shape what you hear, to me is mindbogglingly stupid - anyone who is obsessed what needing exactly the Right Speaker is so far from understanding what is really going on - they are, On The Road To Nowhere ...

On 3/4/2022 at 2:50 PM, fas42 said:

You see, the problem is that you use BIAS as the catchall for everything you don't have a ready answer for - hence, a Get Out Of Jail Free card. This will get you somewhere, but soon enough the elastic is stretched too far - and it breaks.

I could use the exactly the same talk that you do, with respect to the silliness about speakers. The amount of nonsense about the characteristics of speakers, and how they so vitally shape what you hear, to me is mindbogglingly stupid - anyone who is obsessed what needing exactly the Right Speaker is so far from understanding what is really going on - they are, On The Road To Nowhere ...

That IS the point, Frank. You have already made up your mind and everything stems from that. It is bias, callnit what you will but that is essentially what it is.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

20 minutes ago, botrytis said:

That IS the point, Frank. You have already made up your mind and everything stems from that. It is bias, callnit what you will but that is essentially what it is.

Umm, in the sense you speak of it, just about everything in life is based on, er, bias. I'm biased to believe that when I get out of bed in the morning that my legs will work, and that I can walk in the kitchen to start breakfast - now, if I have an excellent hypnotist came in just before I go to bed, and plant a powerful belief in me that my legs are useless, then there is every chance that when I wake up, I will fail to reach my morning feed ... :).

How we live our lives is based on reinforcement, and repetition - science and textbook learning is a mere accessory to that; if the latter fails to explain something that the former keeps strengthening, then it's dead meat. In the lovely world of academia one can dream one's dreams, but unless what you experience in the real world is in agreement with those thoughts, then they are worthless ...

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

How we live our lives is based on reinforcement, and repetition - science and textbook learning is a mere accessory to that;

I don't recall cave men discussing theory of relativity or using smart phones to browse the internet, so maybe not everything is based on repetition. Some centuries ago we discovered some neat new tools to help avoid going in circles (you know, things like science, measurements, objective facts, scientific process). Some prefer to keep going in circles to this day, though.

24 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I don't recall cave men discussing theory of relativity or using smart phones to browse the internet, so maybe not everything is based on repetition. Some centuries ago we discovered some neat new tools to help avoid going in circles (you know, things like science, measurements, objective facts, scientific process). Some prefer to keep going in circles to this day, though.

It's a balance ... science, investigation determines the causes, and deeper nature of things - and those explanation have to be in accord with what actually is out there, in terms of what our senses tell us. There's always been 'science', so to speak - primitive man worked out which timber burnt the best, to keep him warm; just because he didn't have textbooks didn't mean he didn't evolve in understanding how the world worked :).

People go in circles when they know that what they are using isn't good enough, isn't as good as what they've experienced at some other time - if the supposed clued up people can't give them satisfactory answers to resolve things, then, yes, lots of wasted movement will happen, ^_^.

• 10 months later...
On 10/13/2021 at 2:11 AM, skyline said:

I have the orange fuse in my JS2. It's hard to believe how much of a difference it has made.

It's powering my Lumin U1 mini.

One year later, do you still have the JS-2 with the same fuse? I wonder if you went up amperage rating a bit to avoid having the fuse blown

42 minutes ago, lsantista said:

One year later, do you still have the JS-2 with the same fuse? I wonder if you went up amperage rating a bit to avoid having the fuse blown

The orange fuse blew in the JS-2.

I tried QSA and SR Purple and returned them both.

I went with an Ultimate Premier Beeswax fuse and it has stayed there. 

I didn't up the amerage with the Beeswax fuse.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 5 months later...
I know this may make some of your heads explode.....
(1) SR Master on the EMM Labs DV2 and (1) SR Master on the Aurender N30 music server.
Also, (2) SR Purple fuses in my REL212SE subwoofers.
While I had the components open, I also added a little Mad Scientist Graphene on some of the contacts, including the fuses.

Right when I powered the system up, no bass at all, kinda weird?
I had to check if the subs were functioning.
Only took about a day for things to shape up.
Supposed to take about 300 hours to burn in, but I like the improvement in sound so far.
Hard to describe, but it just sounds more relaxed and the music seems to flow effortlessly with improved imaging.
Haven't had time to sit and listen for an extended amount of time yet.
I am willing to pay the cost for the improvement, which hopefully only gets better in time!

Thanks.

IMG_2394.jpg

• Jeff Rowland 925's
  • EMM Labs DV2
  • Aurender N30SA/Paul Pang Quad Switch/Muon PRO
  • Shunyata Everest
  • MBL 101E MkII + (2) REL 212SE
  • Cables : Inakustik, Shunyata, Stealth Audio
5 hours ago, gfroman said:

Ok, so a fuse on the primary (or secondary) side of a transformer filtered out all of the bass for one day in your system?

Seems legit. 

This happened when the Master fuse was inserted in the EMM Labs DV2 da/preamp.

The fuse is located directly after the IEC power input (see my previous photo).

Complete lack of bass and definition for the first few hours.

Continued to get better for the coming few days.

Strange indeed!

• Jeff Rowland 925's
  • EMM Labs DV2
  • Aurender N30SA/Paul Pang Quad Switch/Muon PRO
  • Shunyata Everest
  • MBL 101E MkII + (2) REL 212SE
  • Cables : Inakustik, Shunyata, Stealth Audio
9 hours ago, gfroman said:

While I had the components open, I also added a little Mad Scientist Graphene on some of the contacts, including the fuses.

9 hours ago, gfroman said:

Supposed to take about 300 hours to burn in, but I like the improvement in sound so far.
Hard to describe, but it just sounds more relaxed and the music seems to flow effortlessly with improved imaging.

Nothing strange about what is going on ... contact noise, the electrical misbehaviour when two metal surfaces are just pressed together to make a connection, without any attempt to stabilise the environment, by say soldering the joint, has been the nemesis of best SQ in audio since forever. Contact enhancers of all sorts can and have been used - depending upon the materials used, and how they age, say solvents that evaporate, the spectrum of contact noise will vary over time - for better, or worse! Which you will hear, depending upon everything ...

"More relaxed", "flow effortlessly", "improved imaging" are markers for less contact noise degrading what you hear - what unfortunately can happen is that these enhancers lose effectiveness over a period of time; which means, either periodically redo them, or use something better to do the job.