IGNORED

Synergistic Research SR Orange Fuse snake oil ?

On 5/12/2021 at 4:55 PM, mikicasellas said:

Now i have the PH SR4T and i have been thinking if changing the fuse for that one in its box and yesterday after many months i did, WOW yes it is a better sounding SR4T now, lucky the SR4T fuse is the same specs as the one i had on hand, now i will save some money to  change the fuses on both my SR5T and SR7T

Hi, I now have an SR Orange fuse that I can use in my SR4T.  If your fuse was directional, what way round did you find the fuse worked best in the SR4T fuse holder?  The SR Orange is stated as being directional but it will probably take 2-3 weeks of running-in before it will be at its best and I can start comparing for myself, once I find the time to do it.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2021 at 1:56 AM, LEO SOUND said:

I have an audio Uptone JS2 too, but I don't want to change the fuse because Uptone does not recommend tweaking the JS2.

I have the orange fuse in my JS2. It's hard to believe how much of a difference it has made.

It's powering my Lumin U1 mini.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 7:15 AM, str-1 said:

Hi, I now have an SR Orange fuse that I can use in my SR4T.  If your fuse was directional, what way round did you find the fuse worked best in the SR4T fuse holder?  The SR Orange is stated as being directional but it will probably take 2-3 weeks of running-in before it will be at its best and I can start comparing for myself, once I find the time to do it.

Top to bottom direction

I have has an orange fuse ln my Resolution Audio Cantata for a couple years after a very short break in I noticed improvments  in all areas dynamics, soundstage and imaging.  That said reading the comments here they are mostly speculation and opinions. Try one for yourself after all they come with a 30 day money back trial.  I myself will be ordering the Purple very soon.

My orange fuse already blew when I was swapping power cords.

I now have the SR Purple in my amp and it’s good. 

I don’t think anyone will be disappointed with the Purple.

And there will be no way to go back to the stock fuse.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 2:45 PM, R1200CL said:

Hm, another totally overpriced “copy” of the EtherRegen. 
Well at least it indicates a good power supply matters. 

Remember reading somewhere that allegedly is a repackaged $30 TP-Link, but for the life of me cannot find the reference, so won't affirm or deny anything... anybody else have read that? is there a reference/link/video of a tear down that shows that? Appreciated if you have it.

I've had two of these fuses. The first blew as soon as soon as I put it in my amp. The second one lasted about 9 days. The sad part is I truly think it improved the sound. However, having two fuses that can't compete with a 50 cent amazon fuse isn't a great testament to quality

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2021 at 2:53 AM, bfin3 said:

I've had two of these fuses. The first blew as soon as soon as I put it in my amp. The second one lasted about 9 days.

This raises an interesting question. If your dealer (like Sonore that sells these fuses), advice you what fuse to choose and it blew, will you get a replacement?

5 hours ago, skyline said:

But whether you like their sound long term is the question after the novelty wears off

Interesting pow. Never taught that was an issue as well.
So one need a maintenance program as well 😀

Intervals? 3 year?

And never purchase a used one…..

24 minutes ago, bfin3 said:

Yes, they replaced both and refunded me, customer service was fine. I was just let down that at 300x the price the orange fuses can't handle the same constraints as the identically rated radioshack fuse.

Ouch.. I felt bad about $50 silver fuses in my speakers. $300 is the price of a decent interconnect, hell you could probably do better with a programmable

active fuse with reset button.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

13 minutes ago, davide256 said:

hell you could probably do better with a programmable

active fuse with reset button.

Interesting suggestion. Not a MCB, but a local circuit breaker for that the equipment in use. So you short the original fuse and insert “something” in one end of the power cable that will protect the equipment. Either wall socket or equipment end. Or cable it self. 

Wonder if there exist something available ? 

The solution could be implemented in future products. Will it happen ? I assume some approvals is needed as well. 

Price wise it ought to be able to compete.

14 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Interesting suggestion. Not a MCB, but a local circuit breaker for that the equipment in use. So you short the original fuse and insert “something” in one end of the power cable that will protect the equipment.

This is missing the point of where audiophile fuse technology is heading.

A couple of highly regarded contributors to this forum have recently stated that their (ultra expensive) QSA fuse sounds much better than a fuse bypass. Which suggests that the fuse is filtering or conditioning the power supply in some way that is better than a direct connection. I have also demonstrated this to myself at a much lower level by replacing the fuse in a UK 13A mains plug with a solid copper rod of the same size.

To extend this concept,  we're not taking about finding a fuse alternative that does least damage, but now considering the possibility of inserting a fuse (or rather it's secret magic sauce) solely  to improve a circuit that doesn't need fuse protection.  If somebody here has not yet found out how expensive an "ultra expensive" QSA fuse can get then, well, prepare yourself for a shock...

There does remain the major issue of cost of replacement when the blown fuse costs more than some of your main components. My understanding is that QSA will replace for free in the first year. But after that, what? Much better if the magic sauce in such fuses gets transferred to non-fuse situations.

3 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

This is missing the point of where audiophile fuse technology is heading.

A couple of highly regarded contributors to this forum have recently stated that their (ultra expensive) QSA fuse sounds much better than a fuse bypass. Which suggests that the fuse is filtering or conditioning the power supply in some way that is better than a direct connection. I have also demonstrated this to myself at a much lower level by replacing the fuse in a UK 13A mains plug with a solid copper rod of the same size.

To extend this concept,  we're not taking about finding a fuse alternative that does least damage, but now considering the possibility of inserting a fuse (or rather it's secret magic sauce) solely  to improve a circuit that doesn't need fuse protection.  If somebody here has not yet found out how expensive an "ultra expensive" QSA fuse can get then, well, prepare yourself for a shock...

There does remain the major issue of cost of replacement when the blown fuse costs more than some of your main components. My understanding is that QSA will replace for free in the first year. But after that, what? Much better if the magic sauce in such fuses gets transferred to non-fuse situations.

DBT or sighted listening? Sighted is suspect because of 'EXPECTATION BIAS'.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

DBT or sighted listening? Sighted is suspect because of 'EXPECTATION BIAS'.

Yes, I realize that this is an objective forum and I've had the Expectation Bias memo many times 😀, but the sad truth is that there simply isn't any objective data around to prove the wild claims. The audiophiles interested in fuse rolling are not interested, or do not have the skills, to provide truly objective information. So paltry subjective observations are all there is.

As it happens, one of those highly regarded contributors does do regular blind tests (not sure if single or double) to confirm his subjective observations