IGNORED

Grateful Dead - the Most Overrated Band Ever?

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Who was more overrated than them then in your opinion, if I may ask?

A couple off the top of my head from the same era: The Moody Blues, Love. Love put out a few OK albums, IMO, and gets put on the lists of best albums of all time. There are lots of others.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

There are more bands like this, even in my home country

Yes, but the Dead have a worldwide audience like that - and a very big one. Also multi-generational. How many bands do you know like that? There aren't a lot.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

None of them IMO had a cult following similar to GD. That was exactly the reason why I chose GD as IMO most overrated one, of course beside my attitude to their music which in its essence I had described above.

The Dead have a dedicated very large following. I wouldn't call it a cult. There are just too many of them and many of them are just serious fans, not cultists. IMO, overrated has to also relate to the actual abilities and qualities of the band. The Dead's are not inconsiderable.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

The friend I'd gone with and I were completely blown away by Miles, to the point where, when Herbie took the stage and started playing, we silently nodded to each other and left.  Herbie's music just wasn't in the same league.

Boy, Herbie must have been having a really bad night. He's such a talented musician and composer. Never thought of him as not in the same league.

11 minutes ago, rwwjr44 said:

Is a great single malt Scotch whiskey overrated? No, but it most often is not appreciated when first introduced to the palate. 

The better analogy would be if someone started a thread about "Single Malt XXX" being over-rated. I can think of a few that would qualify.

Single malt is not necessarily equal to good or best. That's one of the reasons blends were invented. 

IMHO, there are even some good blends that are superior to many single malts, if taste is your essential criterion.

6 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I have a strict testing regime when it comes to Scotch. I'm trying to find one I don't like

Boy, that picture shows you aren't kidding. Impressive.