IGNORED

NYT sums up how streaming screws artists

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, Rexp said:

Not a particularly illuminating article. Why are these artists on Spotify, are they forced by their label? If not, they should quit Spotify and use Bandcamp, Youtube etc

They are on Spotify because it has by far the most subscribers and gets them the most exposure. I imagine they also don't choose. Most artists don't control their music. The label does and puts them there.

You tube also pays a pittance to most artists. If your song gets a million views you get about $3000.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

They are on Spotify because it has by far the most subscribers and gets them the most exposure. I imagine they also don't choose. Most artists don't control their music. The label does and puts them there.

You tube also pays a pittance to most artists. If your song gets a million views you get about $3000.

Youtube is good for showcasing a track, any interested fans could be directed to Bandcamp to download the track/album. Job done. 

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

Youtube is good for showcasing a track, any interested fans could be directed to Bandcamp to download the track/album. Job done. 

Sorry, talking about Bandcamp as a real world solution for most artists is typical audiophile talk that's not in touch with reality.

Bandcamp's niche. It's for artists willing to be real indies. Not every artist can even get started successfully that way. That's why they sign with labels. They need the financial and marketing help to survive.

Bandcamp isn't a streaming service in the way 99% of the public relates to the idea.

The market is with the big boys in streaming with the giant catalogs - and that is very unlikely to change.

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

Is there any interesting classical music artists - soloists, orchestras, or string quartets who rely on or use Bandcamp for starting or developing further their careers?

4 hours ago, firedog said:

Sorry, talking about Bandcamp as a real world solution for most artists is typical audiophile talk that's not in touch with reality.

Bandcamp's niche. It's for artists willing to be real indies. Not every artist can even get started successfully that way. That's why they sign with labels. They need the financial and marketing help to survive.

Bandcamp isn't a streaming service in the way 99% of the public relates to the idea.

The market is with the big boys in streaming with the giant catalogs - and that is very unlikely to change.

Your welcome to critique my solution. What's your solution? 

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Is there any interesting classical music artists - soloists, orchestras, or string quartets who rely on or use Bandcamp for starting or developing further their careers?

Don't know, is there? 

30 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Your welcome to critique my solution. What's your solution? 

I don't have a practical one. The big labels control things.

Your solution won't really change anything. The only way it could work is if massive amounts of artists refuse to sign with the labels and sign with Bandcamp. And that isn't happening and is extremely unlikely to happen. There's a reason most artists sign with the big labels.

Again, Bandcamp doesn't provide an all encompassing streaming solution, so consumers won't want it as long as the content is at the big labels and their streaming providers (which the labels also own).

The system needs to be changed. I'm not optimistic it's possible. Maybe the only way would be via legislation that would mandate more royalties to creative people and less to the labels, or that would break up the anti-competitive connection between the streaming companies and the labels. But that isn't realistic either, as corporate forces would probably prevent any such thing.

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

I don't have a practical one. The big labels control things.

Your solution won't really change anything. The only way it could work is if massive amounts of artists refuse to sign with the labels and sign with Bandcamp. And that isn't happening and is extremely unlikely to happen. Again, Bandcamp doesn't provide an all encompassing streaming solution, so consumers won't want it as long as the content is at the big streaming providers.

The system needs to be changed. I'm not optimistic it's possible. Maybe the only way would be via legislation that would mandate more royalties to creative people and less to the labels. But that isn't realistic either, as corporate forces would probably prevent any such thing.

Obviously few would pay for a Bandcamp download if the music was still available on streaming sites. Thats the point, for Artists to be properly compensated, folks should only be able to access their music via Bandcamp type sites. 

21 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Obviously few would pay for a Bandcamp download if the music was still available on streaming sites. Thats the point, for Artists to be properly compensated, folks should only be able to access their music via Bandcamp type sites. 

Which gets us nowhere. Buying music is the old paradigm and it isn't coming back. 99% of the public prefers renting tens of millions of songs through steaming. Music is a commodity that people are want for free or for at most $10-$20 a month. Paid downloads don't fit here. 

In my circles, I'm the only person who still "buys" music. That's reality.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Which gets us nowhere. Buying music is the old paradigm and it isn't coming back. 99% of the public prefers renting tens of millions of songs through steaming. Music is a commodity that people are want for free or for at most $10-$20 a month. Paid downloads don't fit here. 

The streaming services are all losing money so their sustainability is questionable. Some sort of Artist direct to consumer model could work. 

1 hour ago, firedog said:

The streaming services are all losing money so their sustainability is questionable. Some sort of Artist direct to consumer model could work. 

48 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Maybe, but it's important to remember that the big labels are also major owners/investors in the streaming services. One of the reasons the streaming services lose money is that they are paying out most of their income as fees to the labels. So the labels are very happy to keep them afloat-the services losing money is the other side of the coin of the labels making a lot of money. The corporate music ecosystem as a whole is very profitable, and a big source of that profit is the streaming services pay out. 

On 3/23/2021 at 12:58 AM, AnotherSpin said:

[Are] there any interesting classical music artists - soloists, orchestras, or string quartets who rely on or use Bandcamp for starting or developing further their careers?

Yes, but an extremely small number.  I only know of two examples: the Cypress String Quartet, and a harpist whose name I forgot.  

I suspect the more common strategy for gaining publicity is to offer free selections on YouTube.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7