IGNORED

Thoroughly impressed with the M1 Mac mini

9 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Mac apps always use virtual memory; that doesn’t mean they are actually using it. macOS memory management has apps claim swap memory before they need it. I would only worry it the Mac is using, say, more than 3 or 4 GB of swap. 

i bought an 8 GB MacBook Air, and I’ve run dozens of apps without it breaking a sweat. The memory management on these new Macs is quite astounding. 

My previous Mini had 16GB and almost never used swap. The iMac, which had more RAM, also never used swap. Meanwhile, this one with its 8GB uses a lot of physical RAM plus swap. 

No electron left behind.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, wouterk said:

Fair enough - neither do I:-)

I just checked System Report and don't see any differences between them so I say just give it a listen and see what you think.

edit: A Raspberry Pi4 works as a great Roon Bridge as well, is cheaper and probably sounds better.

No electron left behind.

8 hours ago, wouterk said:

I just favour the USB4 - no major difference though. 
Why would a Raspberry Pi4 - I do own one - work better?

By the time you add a decent power supply to the Pi you get close to M1 territory without the horsepower. 

Less electrical noise would be my guess.

I don't bother with a fancy power supply with my Pi4.

No electron left behind.

• 8 months later...

@bobbmd If I were you I would use the HDMI unless there is some reason it doesn't work. When I first received my Mini it didn't like working with adapters at all. Maybe that has changed by now, but why add hassles you don't need?

I think that the worst thing that will need to be done is you'll have to re sign into your accounts with the music streaming services.

No electron left behind.