IGNORED

Desktop Speakers

I have a pretty cramped setup here. I need a pair of desktop speakers (wired via a Dragonfly Red USB DAC) for my home office. This would be near field kind of listening (like 18 inches). What are the best speakers that I could find that would fit inside a roughly 6" x 6" x 8" (front to back) space (single speaker) for general listening purposes? I would prefer black, but ...  Assume $400 or less - there is only so much that you can do in that kind of space. 

Thanks. 

dave

Audioengine A2+ is probably where I would start....https://audioengineusa.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/a2-wireless-computer-speakers/

Maybe Genelec makes something that small?

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

15 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

@jcbenten Thanks - that is a very interesting product that would seem to be a good match for what I need. 

dave

Re: Audioengine A2:

I really like mine—a reasonable number of years later. Mine are wired, not wireless.

OK, maybe an unreasonable number of years ago—anyway, a review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audioengine-2-powered-loudspeaker-audioengine-a2

51 minutes ago, Rexp said:

These are too big for my application as are the smaller AM3's. But for completeness https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/155-psb-alpha-am3-powered-loudspeakers - if I had a tad more space I would be interested. 

dave

Vanatoo Transparent Zero are a bit taller and deeper than the AE2

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ballagas said:

What were your final pickers?

The audioengine A2 line are the only ones that I have seen that fit well into my space requirements. The Bose Companion III Series II was an interesting alternative if I could find a place to stuff a subwoofer.  I would have to buy that one used (no longer in production). 

Still mulling this over.

dave

On 4/1/2021 at 10:32 PM, DaveLeeNC said:

The audioengine A2 line are the only ones that I have seen that fit well into my space requirements. The Bose Companion III Series II was an interesting alternative if I could find a place to stuff a subwoofer.  I would have to buy that one used (no longer in production). 

Still mulling this over.

dave

Drop in if you want a listen.

Adelaide, Australia:)

18 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Drop in if you want a listen.

Adelaide, Australia:)

On the off chance that Australia doesn't make my travel plans this month ( 🤑 ) which set of speakers do you have (or do you have both). Do you have any comments (particularly if you have significant experience with both).

Thx. 

dave

Hi Dave,

As I stated above, I have an oldish pair of A2s which I purchased online and have been enjoying for years. I read quite a bit at the time of purchase and it was the Stereophile assessment that finally convinced me to give them a try. I find them to be quite neutral in tonality and with more than reasonable bass for their size.

I have a similarly aged set of Logitech satellite/woofer that I could never get to sound more than 'just OK' no matter how I set them up or modified them. They sit in a cupboard; I haven't even been able to give them away!

My major listening at this instant is to an even older pair of ARπ (small bookshelves) on stands that leave me wanting more. My SGR CX4F actives have been sent away for a down payment on a new pair of SGR MT3.2 actives that are in the process of being built and painted (I ordered Porsche Jet Black Metallic!).

No matter what I have, I insist that it be non-fatiguing in use and do as little harm to the music as possible.

Good luck in your choice.