IGNORED

How to clean vinyls?

I recently began to collect a collection of records, after I was presented with a turntable for the new year, and I was faced with the fact that they need some care, in this post  write that they can be cleaned with a solution of vinegar, but if everything is so simple, why then create all sorts of liquids for cleaning ? and even more so special devices? How do you take care of your records, what means do you clean?

Sorry to tell you but the plural of vinyl (as in LP) is vinyl.x-D

I've tried detergent and water and cloths; special brushes; special fluids; and all sorts of other stuff. Now I use an ultra sonic cleaner and my records sound different than ever before. For instance on one record (Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain) there's been a sort of hiss since forever. After the first cleaning session I was surprised to hear Miles take a deep in-breath.

The Disc Doctor system would be the best, IMO, at a reasonably cheap price, but an ultra sonic clean it's not.

10 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

While I completely agree that "vinyls" is like nails on a chalkboard, it's Quixotic Grandpa fodder and best ignored.

NEVER - Anyone using the word should be flogged with a spaghetti noodle until it hurts.

That said, that was a weird question to ask at  the site formerly known as "Computer Audiophile"...  or maybe that was the intention on the name change? :D

v

6 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Sorry to tell you but the plural of vinyl (as in LP) is vinyl.x-D

I've tried detergent and water and cloths; special brushes; special fluids; and all sorts of other stuff. Now I use an ultra sonic cleaner and my records sound different than ever before. For instance on one record (Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain) there's been a sort of hiss since forever. After the first cleaning session I was surprised to hear Miles take a deep in-breath.

The Disc Doctor system would be the best, IMO, at a reasonably cheap price, but an ultra sonic clean it's not.

The plural of vinyl is vinyl, indeed

@Irbreann Definitely - Record Doctor IV ( I believe poster refers to it, if not, apologies) is the least expensive option that really works. Their solution works, but I prefer Audio Intelligent.

There is the SpinClean - but I never had success - yes, records look clean but always ended up with more pops. Thinking the culprit was residue from their solution (always used distilled water, different brands), but for the life of me could never  solve why I had such result while so many people swore by it. 

Moved to the Record Doctor IV + Audio Intelligent solution - cheapest effective. Forget about homemade solutions.

v