IGNORED

Finisar SFP+ Modules for Audio Grade Network Switch (Group Buy for Audiophilestyle.com)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to connect a Silent Angel N8 to an etherREGEN. From the AfterDark group buy, it appears I would choose the following:

AfterDark. Project ClayX Constellation SFP+ Module for Audiophile

15 Meters / One Unit / 10% off Discount + Free SFP RJ45 Media Convertor Box

I just want confirmation that I'm looking at the right combo, and won't need anything else. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in two FTLX1475D3BTL with 15 meters cable the best possible, what are the prices now?

Could it work with a 10Gtek® SFP + PCIE NIC 10G Network Card for Broadcom 57810S Chip? sure it's a multimode ...

...i might also think about getting a new network adapter for my server pc...

Hi! gionaz,

The problem is fixed now. Thanks for your information.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

• 3 months later...

Hi! All,

New Group Buy for Audiophilestyle.com is initiated. The new product specification will update at the first page of this topic. 

The main different are:

• Finisar module is changed from SFP + 10G to SFP 1G version of Finisar SFP FTLF1318P3BTL, which provide more compatibility issues with all 1Gb gears. 
  • The Single-Mode Corning Gold Series glass cable is used instead of Commscope

Group Buy Link

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

What type of laser in use ? Why didn’t you go for 1471 version ?

We received some request from audiophilestyle member for 1G version of SFP, with Corning Glass Fiber. This Finisar SFP FTLF1318P3BTL is 1G speed and using Fabry-Perot Laser.

13 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

DFB laser is technically better !

Agreed. FTLX1475D3BTL is DFB laser

thumbnail_IMG_3573_2048x.jpg?v=161587471

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 8.47.05 PM

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

DFB laser is technically better !

But not necessarily sonically better. The posts I read while researching seemed pretty evenly split between preference for FTLF1318P3BTL vs. FTLX1475D3BTL, among those who had actually tried both, I went with SFP, because my gear is 1000Mbps except after the ER B-side, where it drops to 100MBps, and I wanted to ensure no compatibility issues..

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

1 hour ago, TRHH said:

Hi @R1200CL Is there any - DFD laser - from Finisar that would work with Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch (GS110-8-HW-EU)?

THX

Torben

Good question. I can’t answer 100%, but normally if one Finisar work, I would expect most of the others do as well. I tested my Finisar in a managed Cisco, and no problem. SG300-20. 

• 1 month later...

I’d appreciate any comments on sound quality from users of Lumin products (specifically X1, P1 and U2) who employ a LAN optical connection (fibre, spelled the British way). I’ve been using multimode fibre from Sonore, as I once owned the company’s original opticalModule (oM) that came configured this way. When I originally set up the Lumin X1’s fibre connection, I used the oM, but have since moved to fibre implementation via etherRegen. The sound quality, by the way, is terrific.

Recently, though, I’ve been intrigued by some online posters (in this forum and others) who’ve heard a tangible difference between multimode and single-mode fibre, with the latter purportedly having an uptick in SQ. As you probably know, Lumin is agnostic on the topic, saying that both multimode and single-mode will work. Lumin’s website suggests the use of Corning’s ClearCurve single-mode duplex fibre; there is no multimode fibre recommended, so perhaps that is a small clue. The recommended transceivers are StarTech and 10Gtek. Again, as the transceivers need to match the single-mode fibre, perhaps this is another small clue that single-mode might be preferred.  I can’t recall the exact fibre and transceivers with the original oM, other than the fibre was specified as Sonore-branded systemOptique Certified Fibre-Optic Cable.

Peter Lie, Lumin’s firmware lead and a frequent, valuable contributor to this site and others, has shared that one dealer who tested the LAN optical connection with the X1 preferred single-mode. Peter has encouraged people seeking the best SQ to test one vs. the other. To that end, I’ve ordered Corning ClearCurve fibre and some matching Finisar transceivers (FTLF1318P3BTL) that have been popular among some online posters. (As a side note, Sonore now recommends Finisar transceivers as an upgrade to their second-edition oM, perhaps another small clue!) As the purchases were quite reasonable, I don’t mind letting them sit on the sideline while I ponder this dilemma, with the potential help of Lumin users!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Cisco AOC? I am currently listening to the Finisar AOC and it is damned nearly perfect: highly detailed, dynamic, with a potent bass end. The only weakness is some mild stridency in high female vocals and orchestral violins.

I saw that AfterDark describes the Cisco as 'lush' and wondered if it might suit me even better.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

11 hours ago, MartinT said:

Has anyone tried the Cisco AOC? I am currently listening to the Finisar AOC and it is damned nearly perfect: highly detailed, dynamic, with a potent bass end. The only weakness is some mild stridency in high female vocals and orchestral violins.

I saw that AfterDark describes the Cisco as 'lush' and wondered if it might suit me even better.

I bought them all from afterdark and his descriptions were right here in my house

Thanks. I have a 5m Cisco SFP-10G-AOC5M on its way and a Finisar FCBG110SD1C05 on test. The Finisar has greatly improved after more than a week of the Tara Labs burn-in and I shall give the Cisco the same treatment. The winner of these two will be my keeper and the Finisar has already set a high bar.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

26 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Thanks. I have a 5m Cisco SFP-10G-AOC5M on its way and a Finisar FCBG110SD1C05 on test. The Finisar has greatly improved after more than a week of the Tara Labs burn-in and I shall give the Cisco the same treatment. The winner of these two will be my keeper and the Finisar has already set a high bar.

I really like this Finisar model.  Will be comparing shortly to FTLX1475D3BTL.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

18 minutes ago, TRHH said:

May I ask what switch you have? 

I have an EtherREGEN at one end of the link and a Signature Rendu SE at the other.

10 hours ago, Blake said:

I really like this Finisar model.  Will be comparing shortly to FTLX1475D3BTL.

I'll be interested in the outcome.