IGNORED

Finisar SFP+ Modules for Audio Grade Network Switch (Group Buy for Audiophilestyle.com)

How can I understand if the SFP modules have been damaged, since until now in some A to B tests I did not remove all the remaining cables from the switches?

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve read through these posts several times and to say that I’m still confused is an understatement. Please see pics. I have been using a SOTM sNH-10g switch and EtherRegen. my router uses copper to SOTM switch and multi mode optic fiber from SOTM to optical input on EtherRegen. I then use copper from EtherRegen to server. Works fine. Based on the posts her, I purchased two Finisar FTLX1475d3BCL SFP+ units and a Commscope optic cable FEWLCLC42-JXMM002. I put one finisar in the SOTM switch and other connected via the Commscope fiber cable to the optical port on EtherRegen. Both SFP+ are the same. However, while the system worked fine with the multimode approach, it doesn’t work with the new single mode Finisars and Commscope single mode optical cable. Based on what I’m reading here it seems like an incompatibility with the SFP+ units and the EtherRegen but conflicting results are seen with different members here. I also tried reversing the feed from the EtherRegen to the SOTM switch but still no sound. Did I purchase the wrong cable from Commscope? Is there a way to use the EtherRegen and the SOTM switch with these components? Any thoughts would be appreciated 

61A9AEAD-7E49-4BD9-A238-31C5221AF5A1.jpeg

5C98E72E-560D-4630-8391-1E7B25D3CC7D.jpeg

The snh-10g switch seems to be sensitive to SFP+ transceivers in my system at least. I have to power down the switch and leave it off for some minutes then swap the transceivers before turning it back on with the LEDs turned on (Switch up). Hot swapping has never worked for me on the SOtM even though other switch brands have no problems with hot swapping.

If you have always turned the device off before taking out and reinserting the SFP+ modules, I have no other clue. Sorry.

Regards

GG

I just tried this, turning off ER and SOTM for several minutes, then replacing Finisar SPF+ in both, then turning on. Still no communication. Is your SOTM switch connected to an EtherRegen? Which optical cable fo you have?  If so, I agree, this should be working. I hope someone else with this configuration can give me done guidance. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

...yeah, I saw your label pics last night and searched, but those IDs didn't come up with product pages, so I couldn't help. 

I switched back to copper about six months ago, so minute details not fresh, but you will see wavelengths such as: 850nm, 1310nm or 1550nm. Both devices and the cable should share the same wavelength. 

If you can get to those product spec pages, you should find that info. Optical works great and solves some problems, but you do need to sort out a few basic details which are easy to miss. I suspect some easy misstep like this is at the heart of the issue. Cheers...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

Thanks but don’t think I know how to force the SOTM into 1 Gb. However, as a last attempt I just hot swapped the Sfp+ Finisar transceivers after removing the multi mode tp-link transceivers I had and voila, music. No clue what I did but the Finisar single mode tranceiver with the Commscope cable is working. It would be nice to know what I did to make it work because I certainly won’t try trouble shooting for hours if I have to turn off switch or make cable changes. I tried following all your comments @R1200CL in your previous posts but I thought maybe I bought the wrong cable or sfP+ transceivers.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

That won’t work unless you force SOtM into 1GB, or put a 1GB SFP into the SOtM. 

The SOtM has two SFP ports (1Gb/s each) and the EtherREGENs also have 1Gb/s optical ports, so no forcing necessary and is not even possible.

8 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I just tried this, turning off ER and SOTM for several minutes, then replacing Finisar SPF+ in both, then turning on. Still no communication. Is your SOTM switch connected to an EtherRegen? Which optical cable fo you have?  If so, I agree, this should be working. I hope someone else with this configuration can give me done guidance. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Yes I do have 2 EtherREGENs attached, but they are connected by copper. The fibre connection is back to my main switch. I'll try to find time to test one of the EtherREGENs on the last remaining SFP port on the sNH-10G and get back to this post.

FYI, I found the Finisars to be quite coloured in my system. So I use the cheaper FS.COM transceivers (1310nm wavelength) and OS2 fibre (single-mode). It all works exceedingly well for me at least and provides the transparency I crave.

Also FYI I find I need the EtherREGENs in addition to the SOtM. The SOtM broadens the tonal range and dynamics of the signal but to my ears delivers it with a slight harshness (perhaps distortion) in the high notes. The EtherREGENs bring a sophistication and smoothness to the dynamically broadened soundstage. If I'm honest, I have lost a bit of depth with this configuration so I have ordered some external clocks to synchronise all these boxes in the hope that the loss of depth (typically a timing issue) will be eliminated or reduced to undetectable levels. 

Regards

GG

Hi all - I've been using Finisar FTLX8574D3BCV Multi Mode SFP modules (spec below) between my opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100 (pics attached as reference). These were purchased through Small Green Computer and are connected with their 100% Owens Glass Fibers cable. This has been working great but I am very intrigued about switching up to Single Mode...

***I am curious if anyone has insight, will switching from my current FTLX8574D3BCV Multi Mode SFP modules to the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFP+ Single Mode Modules (with the Commscope TERASPEED LC-LC Single Mode Optical Fiber Cable in the Group Buy):

1. Work in my situation between the opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100, perhaps @AfterDark.can confirm.... and
  2. Will it bear much of an improvement in sound quality....? IE: I noted a much appreciable benefit between the MMF Finisars that I have now and what the opticalModule Deluxe came with, but is SFP actually that much better than MMF?

Currently using - Finisar FTLX8574D3BCV Fiber Optic Transmitters, Receivers, Transceivers 10G 850-NM VCSEL 1G/10G Dual-Rate. Connected with 100% Owens Glass Fibers cable.

Thank you,

Des

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

50 minutes ago, desbiss said:
  • Work in my situation between the opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100, perhaps @AfterDark.can confirm.... and
  • Will it bear much of an improvement in sound quality....? IE: I noted a much appreciable benefit between the MMF Finisars that I have now and what the opticalModule Deluxe came with, but is SFP actually that much better than MMF?

While I can't address your first question, the SQ improvement from multi-mode to single mode SFPs is substantial especially with bend insensitive corning fiber.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

While I can't address your first question, the SQ improvement from multi-mode to single mode SFPs is substantial especially with bend insensitive corning fiber.

Thanks @lmitche! Great to hear that, very exciting! That actually raises another question I had in mind about the cable length I should order if I proceed....

I ask as... Currently my Melco S100 and opticalModule Deluxe are very close to one another so I use a very short cable. However, I do plan on moving the Melco S100 farther away to sit in my main rack and have the opticalModule Deluxe remain where it is... (I'd likely order a 10M length Commscope TERASPEED LC-LC Single Mode Optical Fiber Cable from AfterDark. as offered in the Group Buy…)

I was presuming I would likely need to buy a short cable and upgrade to a longer one when I move the Melco S100, but is that actually the case...?

Or, could I buy the 10M length I'd need later and, for current placement, have the 10M long Commscope TERASPEED LC-LC Single Mode Optical Fiber Cable coiled behind the Melco S100 and opticalModule Deluxe...? 

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...those cables specs are often measured in km, so I think you're a-ok at the lengths you're working with. Why buy twice? Just don't coil it in a tight-tight loop.

Thanks @MarkusBarkus - my preference would certainly be to only have to buy one cable. I just wasn’t sure how sensitive a 10M length Commscope TERASPEED LC-LC Single Mode Optical Fiber Cable from AfterDark. would be with being coiled … That said, I would probably have it in about a 2 foot diameter loop

I appreciate the comments thus far. If anyone has insight into whether the Group Buy's Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFP+ Single Mode Modules (with the Commscope TERASPEED LC-LC Single Mode Optical Fiber Cable) will work between my opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100, I'd love to hear from you... Perhaps @AfterDark.can confirm....?

I've read this thread fully and there are very helpful posts from everyone, but I'm not 100% clear if it will work with my opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100 combo.

There had been some contradicting posts initially about it working with the opticalModule Deluxe, but I think it was concluded later along that they would / should work...? I also thought I read somewhere yesterday about two Melco S100's being connected with this SFP module at each end, but I can't find that post now... 

Insights / understanding are appreciated. Kindest thanks!

3 hours ago, desbiss said:

I appreciate the comments thus far. If anyone has insight into whether the Group Buy's Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFP+ Single Mode Modules (with the Commscope TERASPEED LC-LC Single Mode Optical Fiber Cable) will work between my opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100, I'd love to hear from you... Perhaps @AfterDark.can confirm....?

I've read this thread fully and there are very helpful posts from everyone, but I'm not 100% clear if it will work with my opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100 combo.

There had been some contradicting posts initially about it working with the opticalModule Deluxe, but I think it was concluded later along that they would / should work...? I also thought I read somewhere yesterday about two Melco S100's being connected with this SFP module at each end, but I can't find that post now... 

Insights / understanding are appreciated. Kindest thanks!

Hi! Desbiss,

Thanks for your sharing and questions. The combo will work plug and play with Melco S100 and OpticalModule Deluxe. The Single mode version will have noticeable improvement for audio application, with less reflections inside the optical singal which reduce noise and jitter for receiver when compared with mulit-mode models. 

For matching with other brand of fiber cable, we recommended to make sure it is on signle mode, with wavelength=1310nm as indicated on the label on Finisar. 

Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL is using laser beam instead of LED inside the SFP modules, the jitter is much lower then other models. This model is build for heavy industrial application with the unique oversize metal handle in blue and cannot be replicated with much cheaper purchase price at oem or other non-generic SFP, 

Since there is some non-generic or fake Finisar and Commscope cable in market from unknown source, some users may experience connection or performance issue when using non-generic model (The label looks a bit difference with blur wordings) 

We recommended to purchases from well known vendor for any purchase of Finisar or Commscope Fiber cable. 

thumbnail_IMG_3574_2048x.thumb.webp.877ccd2f4d5da6ba5b961f4fb7f4319b.webp

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

15 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi! Desbiss,

Thanks for your sharing and questions. The combo will work plug and play with Melco S100 and OpticalModule Deluxe. The Single mode version will have noticeable improvement for audio application, with less reflections inside the optical singal which reduce noise and jitter for receiver when compared with mulit-mode models. 

For matching with other brand of fiber cable, we recommended to make sure it is on signle mode, with wavelength=1310nm as indicated on the label on Finisar. 

Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL is using laser beam instead of LED inside the SFP modules, the jitter is much lower then other models. This model is build for heavy industrial application with the unique oversize metal handle in blue and cannot be replicated with much cheaper purchase price at oem or other non-generic SFP, 

Since there is some non-generic or fake Finisar and Commscope cable in market from unknown source, some users may experience connection or performance issue when using non-generic model (The label looks a bit difference with blur wordings) 

We recommended to purchases from well known vendor for any purchase of Finisar or Commscope Fiber cable. 

thumbnail_IMG_3574_2048x.thumb.webp.877ccd2f4d5da6ba5b961f4fb7f4319b.webp

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Thanks Adrian / @AfterDark.! I have placed my order and already received some of the shipping details.

I appreciate you confirming that the Group Buy's Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFP+ Single Mode Modules with the Commscope TERASPEED LC-LC Single Mode Optical Fiber Cable will work between my opticalModule Deluxe and Melco S100.

Kindest thanks!

Des