IGNORED

Finisar SFP+ Modules for Audio Grade Network Switch (Group Buy for Audiophilestyle.com)

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

No offense dearest Andreas, but I am not sure why you are having trouble grasping this since I slowly wrote it as clear as I could.

When I see questions people ask on AS, I think sometimes I can also ask the questions, that have the obvious answers for every one else. 😀

At lest we now know for 100% that if people get an idea of building a GB network, there is limitations to make items play together. So I was certain that the 10GB Mikrotik switch won’t work with EtherRegen based on your and John’s explanation. 10GB SPF+ cages won’t work. 

However I’m in doubt as the Mikrotik actually says it supports 1GB. But that may not be the case with the 10GB module directly to EtherRegen.

Well anyway the important thing is most can purchase what Adrian is offering and knowing that unless you happen to have an 10 GB SFP+ switch, you won’t have any problems. 

Maybe this Mikrotik is the perfect item to mix 1GB and 10GB network. 

EDIT. You wrote only 1GB  Mikrotik won’t work. 

FE7C5515-B069-4D89-ACD9-8BE5981B3CCF.jpeg

The next question to be asked, is how are you dealing with attenuation, or is it not a problem? I'm using Finisar 1324 single mode SFP's that have a range of 4km with 4m of cable; the SFP+ and basic 1421's have a 15km + range. I guess if one is buying used for $10/ea not a worry if they burn out, but at $100 a pop that's more concerning.

I also noticed that the 1421's have a jitter rating of .007 and the 1324's I'm using and were recommended is 62. I'm assuming a lot less jitter with the 1421's but how do those numbers break down in real terms? I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting but a pair of used 1421's would set me back about $20 on eBay so might try them. Just concerned about attenuation issues. I thought the optical add ons muffled the sound to a degree but I guess I could do a wrap around a cylinder as well. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

36 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

The next question to be asked

As well if the use of 10GB modules wouldn’t matter at all ?

Will there actually be any difference between the FTLX1475D3BTL and the FTLF1421P1BTL ?

As they both will be running at one GB speed. 

If the cost is equal, probably use the FTLX1475D3BTL. 
(There are still more £10 FTLF1421P1BCL available on eBay).

18 minutes ago, Roasty said:

@AfterDark.

For the rj45 sfp media converter, can I find out what size input dc plug it uses? 2.1mm or 2.5mm?

I am planning to use the 5v USB out from a Keces P8 lps to power it; it outputs 5v 1A and should be sufficient? 

Hi! Roasty,

Thanks for your question. The RJ45 SFP Media Convertor is rated at 0.3A, so 1A is sufficient. The plug is on 2.5mm.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

HI! Alex,

Thanks for your details information.

After trial and errors with the SFP+ modules, as expected this will work plug and play as soon as both-end use the same model SFP+

The below is connecting Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL with Commscope Single Mode Fiber cable. All activity led was all on and working. 

For cancel order on MasterWarzombi, we accidentally dispatched the package to France, my mistakes. My shipping staff was not noticed. Therefore, this may be good chance to trial for him to try on different switch (UpTone EtherREGEN , SoTM Switch) 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

692436447_thumbnail_image2(3)BBB.thumb.jpg.a2311afe5529a4e4ea7ada1eef7f80c2.jpg

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

5 minutes ago, Roasty said:

So is it alright to mix single mode fiber and multi mode fiber? 

Eg from wall/media converter to sotm is single mode, and from sotm to ER is multi mode? 

Hi! Roasty,

Thanks for your questions. This will work, the package of SFP+ will plug and play for the setting. The below is the Cisco SFP+ AOC module.

1632499453_thumbnail_image1(2)BB.thumb.jpg.145766eeb110a97543f487805594beea.jpg

Have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

On 3/18/2021 at 11:00 PM, Superdad said:

No. If you put an SFP+ transceiver into the cage of a switch listed as having SFP+ ports and being 10Gbe, the switch is going to send 10Gbe data through that transceiver and it till not work with any 1Gbe-only device.

https://community.fs.com/blog/can-10gb-switch-port-link-to-gigabit-switch-port.html

Since probably several is having or considering one of the two very reasonable priced Mikrotik switches with 10GB interfaces I think the following will work:

Put a 1GB FTLF1421P1xxx into the 10GB cage of the switch and put the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL into EtherRegen or the opticalModule.  Not the other way. 

The $99 CSS610_8G_2S_in is probably one of the cheapest way to obtain a 10GB FMC and in addition get a management 1GB switch. I ordered one.

Do not expected other 1GB modules necessary to work this way with the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL. 

On 3/19/2021 at 5:25 AM, Roasty said:

So is it alright to mix single mode fiber and multi mode fiber? 

Eg from wall/media converter to sotm is single mode, and from sotm to ER is multi mode? 

This is what you’re asking ?

Type of modules not so important as the question is about mixing of MM and SM in your setup.
Well of cause the modules must support either MM or SM. 

(A 10GB module  in a 10GB switch won’t work). 

7CA2BFFA-64AE-4794-B624-8FAEACBE6FCF.thumb.jpeg.7aa29f8f5db44ac43831aa932c8ea3d0.jpeg

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

https://community.fs.com/blog/can-10gb-switch-port-link-to-gigabit-switch-port.html

Since probably several is having or considering one of the two very reasonable priced Mikrotik switches with 10GB interfaces I think the following will work:

Put a 1GB FTLF1421P1xxx into the 10GB cage of the switch and put the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL into EtherRegen or the opticalModule.  Not the other way. 

The $99 CSS610_8G_2S_in is probably one of the cheapest way to obtain a 10GB FMC and in addition get a management 1GB switch. I ordered one.

Do not expected other 1GB modules necessary to work this way with the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL. 

You love to confuse people's minds. :)

17 minutes ago, MasterWarzombie said:

You love to confuse people's minds. :)

No not at all. Actually I’m trying the opposite. What is the confusion with the above sketch ? Please explain. I can change it. 

(About understanding why I said all this before, please read latest 2 days posts in Optical Network Configurations tread). 

Is there anything that’s not yet clear what configuration when using the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL that will work or won’t work with the Mikrotik switches ? Or probably any 10GB SFP+ switch ?

12 hours ago, R1200CL said:

This is what you’re asking ?

Type of modules not so important as the question is about mixing of MM and SM in your setup.
Well of cause the modules must support either MM or SM. 

(A 10GB module  in a 10GB switch won’t work). 

7CA2BFFA-64AE-4794-B624-8FAEACBE6FCF.thumb.jpeg.7aa29f8f5db44ac43831aa932c8ea3d0.jpeg

Ah yes thanks for taking the time to draw it out and help. 

Assuming all the modules are of the correct type and into the appropriate ports/devices, then there should be no issue in mixing single mode and multi mode as above right? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 3:44 AM, AfterDark. said:

Hi! Roasty,

Thanks for your question. The RJ45 SFP Media Convertor is rated at 0.3A, so 1A is sufficient. The plug is on 2.5mm.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

@AfterDark.

does the AFterdark media converter come with a power supply?
Can we put a linear power supply 5 Volts 2 Amps?

17 minutes ago, LEO SOUND said:

@AfterDark.

does the AFterdark media converter come with a power supply?
Can we put a linear power supply 5 Volts 2 Amps?

Hello! Leo Sound,

Thanks for your questions. The SFP/ RJ45 convertor does not comes with linear power supply. 

The LPS with 5V 2A will work just fine.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

On 4/5/2021 at 5:57 PM, lake_eleven said:

There is sound quality advantage?

I would say that a DBF laser (1421 & 1475 ) is technologically better than a Fabry-Perot (1321 & 1324) laser. And usually more expensive as well. 
DBF has better (lower) Relative Intensity Noise (RIN). Jitter numbers is better as well. 

If this means better SQ, I can’t say, but this is one reason I recommend DFB lasers for SFP modules. Just to be sure 😀

On 3/18/2021 at 10:23 PM, R1200CL said:

Then the very simple conclusion is then:

EtherRegen, Sonore opticalModule, and probably a lot of other SFP cage devices will work with a 10GB SFP+ module inserted. Especially the FTLX1475D3BTL used in both ends. Very interesting. 

That’s the important thing for now. And no reason to cancel orders 😀

The speed doesn’t matter. But of cause it’s limited by the internal circuits. 
If the use of this module should favor the “limited” 1 GB SFP modules is another discussion. 

But I can see possible benefits. I probably upgrade my own SFP standard now to the SFP+ FTLX1475D3BTL 😀

Thx again for the discussion:

in summary, there are several SFP+ module options to work with ER and Sonore OR. Which of them display a neutral, dynamic sound quality? The Finisar FTLF1421P1BTL, the FTLX1475D3BTL, the FTLX1471D3BCF, or FTLF1324P2BTV with single mode, or the TP link TL-SM311LM Module with MM Fibre connection?

Would really appreciate to get a recommendation. It is absolutely difficult to get a practical advice. I do not see the elephant in the room ;-)

thx guys.

• 2 weeks later...