IGNORED

Matching Speakers & Amps

DesertMax

Question

Hi Guys, I am a musician with weak knowledge base in this area. The power amp in my home studio has a side out. I considered replacing the pot but thought better of it as I am also not well versed in soldering and such. My question is this. I have Event 20/20 studio monitors and have purchase another power amp because it was very low price but it has a higher power rating than my old one which sound great with the Events.

My current amp is a QSC  QSC1450 Power Amp   (click for specs)

My speakers are Event 20/20      (click for specs)

The amp I purchased is from overseas and was $39.00 on ebay. See it here.

In my experience, (and please correct me if I am incorrect) an amp rated as more powerful than suggested will work fine and be very clear at moderate volumes. However, when turned way up, could blow the speakers. If this is correct, I can use the new amp. (if it actually works!!)  Any help truly appreciated. M

QSC.jpg

3 answers to this question

IMO your assessment is correct about having more power than the speakers are rated for and will work just fine.

Based on the specs of the speakers and amp it looks like you would be driving them with a little over double what they are rated for into 4ohm load.

I wouldn't be concerned with this myself and if I could afford the same quality Amp that I have now which had double the power rating of my speakers I would do it without hesitation. You just have to be careful with the volume knob that's all.

One very basic test is to keep an eye on cone movement of the drivers when playing loud. I would slowly raise the volume up to the point where you reach the loudest listening level you would ever use and take note of the volume position or value at that loudness level. If you have a way to set a limiter on the output volume then do so at that level you noted previously.

DSP volume control makes this easy but analog volume control is not as idiot proof but can be accomplished with care.