IGNORED

Article: The Sonos Port Isn't Bit Perfect

My guess is that the target market for this device would be hard pressed to understand the issue here and very likely would not care at all even if it was fully understood. My other guess is that the SPDIF digital output is rarely used by any owner of this device. No one would purchase a device like this for serious listening when there are now many other good choices for that purpose.

I doubt the manufacturer will respond as I think the most likely thing happening is some form of volume leveling. People who buy these are going to use it mostly to serve background music and don't want wide fluctuations in volume. This is nothing more than a guess I admit but from friends I have known who have these types of devices I suspect this is it.

Good for you for pointing it out.

2 hours ago, NapaBob said:

Thanks for doing this! I have somewhere around 10 Sonos zones in my home. 5 of them have external DACs and of those, 3 are in serious listening systems. To be fair, a lot of my serious listening is vinyl or CD, but I also do a lot of Tidal listening. Of the 3 important Sonos boxes, 1 is a Connect modified by Wyred 4 Sound, 1 a Port modified by W4S, and 1 a regular Port. All 3 use Audio Note (UK) DACs.

Moving away from Sonos takes away all the nice options of multi-room play - or at least having to replace ALL the Sonos boxes. I also have a Roon system, but it will not let you group a Sonos device with a non-Sonos one (I suspect because it is using the rich Sonos control protocol).

So although bobflood's prediction is probably right, I would certainly love to see the switch to turn off any DSP.

@NapaBob sorry but I forgot about the W4S modified units. Of course those would be the most likely to be used with an external DAC. This was especially true from the early days when Sonos had exclusives on content at 44.1/16. I almost bought one myself.